Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I dunno... I think the perfect model would be one where height was more limited than it is now (x yards above any ground surface) and players had means of dismounting other players. That would add some drawback to the benefits, would keep the players near the ground/art/other players, and would prevent 'point yourself in a direction and go afk'. If you wanted to go AFK, take a flight path.

Personally I like the freedom of flying, but it does trivialize the world.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    Another flying thread. Yay. Adding flying in the first place was a mistake. Blizzard knows this, other MMO devs know this (which is why flying isn't in many other MMOs). Let's first see how the game feels when designed with ground mounts in mind before begging about being able to hit autorun and go afk from place to place.

How do you ppl find flying bad?
    Why is it so bad, that if I want to go from, hmmmm, like Shrine to Krasarang, I just hop on to my mount, fly there in like few mins? I find it a lot worse, that if I want to go there I would need to use a ground mount, spend like 20mins to the traveling?
    If a game is time consuming it does not make it good, does it?
    There are things in WoW that already take a plenty of time (not as much as they did in Vanilla), like the legenday q-chain, it is grindy, takes long.
    Traveling to a certain location should be made comfortable, in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I think vanilla had the best flying model.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    No, Vanilla WoW had the perfect flying model.
    Really? You really think the model of having to walk everywhere because FPs would make you go broke and not have enough to repair after a few minutes questing or have enough to actually level up and that getting enough money for a standard mount at the appropriate level, never mind a swift mount at level cap, required dedicated dungeon grinding for a good month or so or getting extremely lucky on the AH was a good model?

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Because applying Wrath's flying model to Warlords would undermine all the work they've done out in the world. You'll level without a mount, sure, and see some of the content once, but once you hit 100 you'll be zipping around the skies, completely missing all the little events and things to see and collect that they've tucked into the smallest caves and crevices.
    How does the koolaid taste? When the world is as bland as every other area will you still herald their great design?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    wow has never had a perfect model of flying, unless you count the perfect model of how to NOT do flying.
    ^this. from its inception flying was already broken. they should have put a limit on it from the get go but for some reason they decided not to and now when they try to right their wrong....its FAR too late and people complain about it. honestly....i dont miss flying on the beta....at all. i hope more people feel that way so the current content never has it but im probably in the vast minority there.

7+ Year Old Account
    I liked isle of thunder where people were running all over doing their quests and not simply falling out of the sky killing their shit and then flying back into the sky.

Or coming out of the air. attacking me while their other friend comes out of the air steals my mining node and then continues to help his friend in attacking me.
    Flying's stupid I'll be glad when its gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    How do you ppl find flying bad?
    Why is it so bad, that if I want to go from, hmmmm, like Shrine to Krasarang, I just hop on to my mount, fly there in like few mins? I find it a lot worse, that if I want to go there I would need to use a ground mount, spend like 20mins to the traveling?
    If a game is time consuming it does not make it good, does it?
    There are things in WoW that already take a plenty of time (not as much as they did in Vanilla), like the legenday q-chain, it is grindy, takes long.
    Traveling to a certain location should be made comfortable, in my opinion.
    you can take a flight path to karasang. In the current state of flight paths this would mean a 3 round trip through pandaria before you land which is bad. But in WoD flight paths move faster and will always take the most direct route. Basically not having a flying mount will be nicer for this scenario. As it stands currently you point yourself where you want to be. hit auto run then afk until you get to your spot. Tabbing in to make sure you aren't passed it. Or keeping yourself occupied until you dont need to fly anymore.

With flight paths you could just hit the thing tab out and come back at your leisure knowing you'll be at or near where you'd like to be.

I liked Wrath's model too, somewhat. I don't necessarily think you need to buy it for other toons, but somehow unlock it for alts. Once a player hits max on their first toon (and experiences all the content on the ground)......give an account wide achievement that unlocks it for all alts on that account. I enjoyed my first 90 in MoP and seeing everything....and I haven't since.
    Last edited by Revak; 2014-08-17 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kargar View Post
    The problem with that is most people will skip the content then bitch that there is nothing to do bliz have spent time and money on making more content in the open world and now want people to try it instead of being like a spoiled child and saying i don't want it and then being hungry half a hour later.
    I don't believe there is enough content even on the ground that is skipped to make those people happy. If they "explored" they will finish with in a few hours and then complain again.

I agree with the tome of cold weather flying needing an alternative, but otherwise I more or less love the way MoP handled flying; disabled while leveling, and in specific max-level areas that are small and specifically designed to be traversed by ground.

The only way disabling flying in the overworld can work without creating more problems than it solves is if the entire continent is specifically and meticulously designed around it. You'd need efficient, mob-free farming routes for crafting materials (and rare spawns), multiple paths across all variations of terrain, plenty of teleports and portals for the player to make use of, and an absolute ton of content that actually took advantage of ground mechanics (such as jumping puzzles).

Unfortunately it seems clear that WoD isn't doing that, likely because it would take a massive amount of work to get right even if the devs had all the time and manpower in the world.

The most practical solution that throws everyone a bone is to design small, specific no-flying zones like the islands in Pandaria, while keeping the world at large flyable for max-level players and their alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I agree with the tome of cold weather flying needing an alternative, but otherwise I more or less love the way MoP handled flying; disabled while leveling, and in specific max-level areas that are small and specifically designed to be traversed by ground.

The only way disabling flying in the overworld can work without creating more problems than it solves is if the entire continent is specifically and meticulously designed around it. You'd need efficient, mob-free farming routes for crafting materials (and rare spawns), multiple paths across all variations of terrain, plenty of teleports and portals for the player to make use of, and an absolute ton of content that actually took advantage of ground mechanics (such as jumping puzzles).

Unfortunately it seems clear that WoD isn't doing that, likely because it would take a massive amount of work to get right even if the devs had all the time and manpower in the world.

The most practical solution that throws everyone a bone is to design small, specific no-flying zones like the islands in Pandaria, while keeping the world at large flyable for max-level players and their alts.
    This is a good solution as that is what is happening in MoP which I think is the best flying model. No flying while leveling (this allows for max exploring due to questing and allows for the "explorers" to actually explore ground content while the content is at its "hardest") and no flying on the patch content zones.

I would generally agree that the Wrath model was the best (slog through crap on foot for the most part, then flying for alts who you don't care to have going through the same boring shit on foot again), but with the caveat that having the last 3 zones practically requiring it being a bit rough if you didn't have gold lying around.

But the core idea is the best: go through the crap once and see their horrid scenary they're so keen on forcing us to try caring about, then for your alts you're free to level efficiently with the heirloom flying.

Cataclysm had perfect flying model.

7+ Year Old Account
    It is just a completely unique situation when you lock down flying for a good portion of the beginning of an expac. Running around on the same level as all the other players, interacting, seeing them engaged in world pvp, helping, or not helping. Seeing the curves and twists of paths designed to be ran on, not flown over. It's thrilling to me. But to each his own. I prefer enjoying what I'm doing vs hitting Num Lock and watching the sky as I cover a mile per 10 seconds.

10+ Year Old Account
    There should have not been flying in the first place.
    Even wotlk versio of flying is pure **** because it destroys totally the original idea of warcraft = 2 factions fighting against each others.
    There should not be any BGs/LFD/LFR etc just wpvp and you have to ride/walk to the summoning stones. If some fucker leaves the party or is too lazy to help with summoning then screw him. Put him on the ignore list and make sure none else invites him either (see vanilla Barrens chat).

If you get constantly assraped by high lvl ppl and you don't have anything else in your life to do for 10mins, then do not roll a pvp server.
    If huge wpvp battles happens to be right where you are supposed to kill the horrible made AI mobs for your free for everyone legendary, then do not roll a pvp server.
    If someone rogue have decided to troll ya with "sapped forever saturday fun night action" and that pisses you off, then do not roll a pvp server.

Here is also few simple fixes for the problems that no flying and wpvp only pvp would cause:

1) If target is grey for you and have not attacked you. You will lose honor and get debuffed for few mins with debuff that you cannot get honor from anywhere.
    2) Rogue sap: Sap the target for 1min (pve). 8sec (pvp). If used on player your sthealt will break after 3 seconds.
    3) Or just make it have better dimishing return (cannot be used more than once every 20 sec on players).
    4) Free server change from pvp to the pve server once a month.
    5) summoning stone requires only 1 player to summon others 1 by 1
    6) pvp is allowed near summoning stones but summoning makes the player immune to everything for the summoning duration. Cannot use summoning stone in combat.

And something little different: Make every CC breakable like in wildstar but make it to be much harder to break them.
    Or make everything to share dimishing return to avoid the retarded 24/7 CC lock that cannot be broken even with trinket.

This went lil bit off topic but my point is that: Blizzard please do not fuck us pvpers again and let these pve heros have their airplanes in the next expansion. Just give them free ticket out of pvp realms if it's so hard to press more than 1 button and actually fight against something that does have brains or even tries act like he/she does

Thank you and sorry about my english ^^

I don't see how Wrath's model was any different from it's current form. That being said I could care less whether flying is added or remains out. I still don't understand the desire for flying besides sheer laziness. With flying you still get ganked, but often your attacker will hide in the sky until he's ready again. Allies can't aid you because he'll just zip away. The game world becomes irrelevant once flying is learned. Basically you just AFK and follow your waypoint. Just shut it whiners.

Also gold-sinks for flying were dumb. It hurt casuals and was redundant to those who made gold easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulathar View Post
    I don't see how Wrath's model was any different from it's current form. That being said I could care less whether flying is added or remains out. I still don't understand the desire for flying besides sheer laziness. With flying you still get ganked, but often your attacker will hide in the sky until he's ready again. Allies can't aid you because he'll just zip away. The game world becomes irrelevant once flying is learned. Basically you just AFK and follow your waypoint. Just shut it whiners.

Also gold-sinks for flying were dumb. It hurt casuals and was redundant to those who made gold easily.
    I dunno if you knew this, but when flying is enabled, you get to fly.

Like, I know this seems like a patronizing statement (and it totally is) but what other reason do you need? Is it so hard to believe that there are those of us who feel amazing when we take to the skies in the world we've become so familiar with? At the end of Vanilla I was actually growing bored of the game. My friends had moved back to FFXI, my guild was horrible, I hadn't raided since MC and I was running out of alts to be interested in. Flight was the only thing that sold TBC to me and it's been a driving force behind my in game time since.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malus416 View Post
    It is just a completely unique situation when you lock down flying for a good portion of the beginning of an expac. Running around on the same level as all the other players, interacting, seeing them engaged in world pvp, helping, or not helping. Seeing the curves and twists of paths designed to be ran on, not flown over. It's thrilling to me. But to each his own. I prefer enjoying what I'm doing vs hitting Num Lock and watching the sky as I cover a mile per 10 seconds.
    +1 and a parrot sticker.