Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Domestic Violence is more prevalent among Same-Sex Couples.

"(Reuters Health) - Domestic violence occurs as much and possibly more among same-sex couples as among opposite-sex couples, according to a fresh look at past research.

The study team can’t say why domestic violence may be more common among same-sex couples, but they suggest it may result from the added stress of being a sexual minority.

“There are vulnerabilities that come with being in a homosexual relationship,” Richard Carroll told Reuters Health. “It can be as basic as someone not ready or willing to be open to their family or community that they’re in a homosexual relationship. The theory is that additional stressors can add to increased strain that leads to increased violence or abuse.”"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...40924?irpc=932

The Actual Study: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...2#.VCOIX_ldVqU

So the primary theory is that the added stress of societal judgment regarding same-sex couples leads to this. Perhaps though this might also stem from violence occurring at a more "even-footing" if it could be said. Personally if I was in a relationship with another man we'd get into fisticuffs now and then regarding arguments. Of course that's really all just straight out of my ass, just a thought.

Yeah I suspect this is the same reason you see a lot of different disorders and ill content among minority groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe it.

Oppressed people act out? Hm...

God bless them treating their spouses like shit just like straight people.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    "(Reuters Health) - Domestic violence occurs as much and possibly more among same-sex couples as among opposite-sex couples, according to a fresh look at past research.

The study team can’t say why domestic violence may be more common among same-sex couples, but they suggest it may result from the added stress of being a sexual minority.

“There are vulnerabilities that come with being in a homosexual relationship,” Richard Carroll told Reuters Health. “It can be as basic as someone not ready or willing to be open to their family or community that they’re in a homosexual relationship. The theory is that additional stressors can add to increased strain that leads to increased violence or abuse.”"

So the primary theory is that the added stress of societal judgment regarding same-sex couples leads to this. Perhaps though this might also stem from violence occurring at a more "even-footing" if it could be said. Personally if I was in a relationship with another man we'd get into fisticuffs now and then regarding arguments. Of course that's really all just straight out of my ass, just a thought.
    This isn't anything new. It's been known for years.

I saw a uhm...documentary...on this before with two girls fighting.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I can't even imaging two women in a marriage. It must be non stop drama, like some Greek opera.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Personally if I was in a relationship with another man we'd get into fisticuffs now and then regarding arguments. Of course that's really all just straight out of my ass, just a thought.
    Well, if you insisted he get out of your ass, you'd probably have to resort to fisticuffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    No public access to study = no way to see if they even tried to control for other factors leading to domestic violence = don't care about the results. Social sciences journals in general have a distinct lack of scientific rigor that makes trusting them pretty difficult.

I'm sure there wont be any stereotyping, homophobia or misogyny or gay bashing in this thread at all.

EDIT: Whoops, I'm too late.
    Last edited by Muezick; 2014-09-25 at 03:32 AM.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    I'm sure there wont be any stereotyping, homophobia or misogyny or gay bashing in this thread at all.
    Well there wasn't until you brought it up! Way to ruin it!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Top of my head:

-Sample size
    -Not controlled for economic status/age/demographic etc
    -Reporting rates may be very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

On top of other factors, domestic violence and abuse tends to beget more violence and abuse. Those early childhood experiences tend to replay themselves later in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Top of my head:

-Sample size
    -Not controlled for economic status/age/demographic etc
    -Reporting rates may be very different.
    Clearly established primary vs secondary outcomes.
    Prospective vs retrospective observational study.
    Method of data collection.
    Interpretation of domestic violence.
    Statistical tests.
    Know you said it, but sample size again. There is one thing that we know about social science studies, and that is for there to be any external validity the sample size has to be rather profound.

Not that I expect journals like this to even try to meet basic criteria. It's a field of derived psychology that just piggy backs onto the methods of more rigorous sciences to establish a pretense of validity.

7+ Year Old Account

I'm sorry but here says the opposite http://i.imgur.com/IDRTFa5.jpg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    God made humans to give handjobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Being older isn't an excuse for being wrong or obtuse. Grats on being the guy that makes me side with Didactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clickbait story is clickbait.

From the study, "Based on the findings of four studies that had data on nearly 30,000 participants, they found that between one quarter and three quarters of lesbian, gay and bisexual people are the victims of domestic violence."

So that's somewhere between 25% & 75%. That's not a study, that's making drunks throwing darts look accurate and precise.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

*Story with statistics about gays/minorities doing something wrong* "THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL, MORE HOMOPHOBIC BULLSHIT!"

*Story with statistics about a straights/non-minorities doing something wrong* "I didn't even have to click on the article, it's absolutely TRUE!!!"

Every single gay person I've known has had at the very least one domestic violence in the time I've known them. Some I've known less than a month, some I've known for 8+ years. Most of them get into more than one domestic, closer to 3-6. Quite a few of them were nice and everything but apparently they just do not get along once they're out of the public eye.

I'd say closer to 90% of the straight people I've known have never had a domestic violence occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Illegal immigration is not a crime.
    Oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Quote Originally Posted by SageKalzi View Post
    *Story with statistics about gays/minorities doing something wrong* "THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL, MORE HOMOPHOBIC BULLSHIT!"

*Story with statistics about a straights/non-minorities doing something wrong* "I didn't even have to click on the article, it's absolutely TRUE!!!"

Every single gay person I've known has had at the very least one domestic violence in the time I've known them. Some I've known less than a month, some I've known for 8+ years. Most of them get into more than one domestic, closer to 3-6. Quite a few of them were nice and everything but apparently they just do not get along once they're out of the public eye.

I'd say closer to 90% of the straight people I've known have never had a domestic violence occur.
    Ignore any valid criticism, insert personal anecdotes as objective and representative. On top of that you're implicitly claiming others are too biased. Classic.