Poll: Do you support monarchy?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

Monarchy - Yay or nay?

I would like to hear MMO-Champion's opinions on monarchy. I know many here are Americans and thus have no real experience of it (amongst other non-monarchist countries, but do add your opinion anyhow), but there are also lots of people here, particularily from Scandinavia and Britain (amongst other people from monarchist countries) so I'd like to hear opinions of that as well.

I admit, when I was a tad younger I was a monarchist. Like, I still am, but I support constitutional monarchy, back then I was in support of absolute monarchy. I find that monarchy is important to the country's history and culture, as well as a major tourist revenue. Back then I thought it'd be like a good dictator, the kind of guy who could get things done rapidly (unlike democracy) but was born and raised to serve his people, so he'd be like a patriotic dictator (yeah, I know how it's starting to sound... but trust me, I wasn't like that).

Nowadays I realize that sounds stupid, but I still remain a monarchist. In fact, as a supporter of "the United States of Europe", I'm also for one single European monarch. Perhaps from the House of Habsburg, or from the House of Oldenburg.

So are you a monarchist? Or maybe you are a filthy republican?

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2014-08-19 at 02:40 AM.

Deleted
    No, the king is just hogging money. He's also got immunity to legal actions, which is stupid as fuck. No one person should be above legal actions.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I would like to hear MMO-Champion's opinions on monarchy. I know many here are Americans and thus have no real experience of it (amongst other non-monarchist countries, but do add your opinion anyhow), but there are also lots of people here, particularily from Scandinavia and Britain (amongst other people from monarchist countries) so I'd like to hear opinions of that as well.

I admit, when I was a tad younger I was a monarchist. Like, I still am, but I support constitutional monarchy, back then I was in support of absolute monarchy. I find that monarchy is important to the country's history and culture, as well as a major tourist revenue. Back then I thought it'd be like a good dictator, the kind of guy who could get things done rapidly (unlike democracy) but was born and raised to serve his people, so he'd be like a patriotic dictator (yeah, I know how it's starting to sound... but trust me, I wasn't like that).

Nowadays I realize that sounds stupid, but I still remain a monarchist. In fact, as a supporter of "the United States of Europe", I'm also for one single European monarch. Perhaps from the House of Habsburg, or from the House of Oldenburg.

Oh sweet mother of God no! No no no no a thousand times no!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the country. I don't think it would work well in the US, but I think Queen Elizabeth is great for the UK.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    No, the king is just hogging money. He's also got immunity to legal actions, which is stupid as fuck. No one person should be above legal actions.
    That's not how it even remotely works. Tourism, advertisments, the novelty of having a monarchy = money in the coffers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    That's not how it even remotely works. Tourism, advertisments, the novelty of having a monarchy = money in the coffers.
    2010 he got 125 million sek. Too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably depends on the country. That's absolutely true in the UK, but I don't think the Swedish Monarchy is a major tourist draw, are they?

10+ Year Old Account
    How can anyone hate little Queen Lizzie. She looks like a daffodil.

Sure it costs a fair bit but she does wonders for the country, not as much any more (and frankly I have rather limited hope for the future royals, definitely not Harry) but she's been possibly the best diplomatic tool we've had in a long time. Money well spent, long may it continue, whatever power she has is limited and would never be used and if there are any laws she can get away with breaking, I don't see them doing it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Nay. Remember to make a will if you live in Cornwall as well or that bastard Charles gets your £££.

While the existence of a Monarchy may have cultural meaning in your country it's a volatile, archaic method of governance.

10+ Year Old Account
    UK. Republic.

Why should someone be allowed to completely live off of the work of others simply because their ancestors duped a bunch of people into following them and cut other people's heads off if they didn't?

No matter how much people say our royal family does, it is still a bullshit situation of one group being at the top because of faulty politics lasting from the dark ages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    While the existence of a Monarchy may have cultural meaning in your country it's a volatile, archaic method of governance.
    The king doesn't have any political power in Sweden.

In fact, as a supporter of "the United States of Europe", I'm also for one single European monarch.
    That makes about as much sense as a sober Dwarf; particularly when you bear in mind the inherently Marxist nature of the EU, and how hostile it is to concepts such as nationalism/patriotism/etc. As for me, i'm definitely in favour of a Constitutional Monarch; our own Queen Elizabeth is a shining example of how successful it can be. So successful in fact, both in monetary terms and otherwise, that British Republicans (in the sense of wanting to remove/replace a monarchy, rather than the warped American sense) are quite an anomaly; and rightly so.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Probably depends on the country. That's absolutely true in the UK, but I don't think the Swedish Monarchy is a major tourist draw, are they?
    King Gustav is a well known prankster, well loved for not giving a fuck and wearing silly hats. The guy is awesome, almost as indifferent and whimsical as Crown-Prince Henri of Denmark.

Deleted
    King Gustav is a well known prankster, well loved for not giving a fuck and wearing silly hats. The guy is awesome, almost as indifferent and whimsical as Crown-Prince Henri of Denmark.
    He's also crashed into people and gotten nothing for it because he's the king.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I... What? I literally have no clue. The poll options, the spoiler....

10+ Year Old Account
    The silly hats aren't real. It's just something people like to photoshop onto him on the internet.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    Any system of governance is potentially volatile. How many democratic countries have not been overthrown by a mad despot? Also, it's not like any of the current monarchies actually count as a system of governance, they do fuck all in terms of actual ruling and governing. One could also argue that since the idea of modern democracy stems from Ancient Greece, then that's also pretty darn archaic by now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    2010 he got 125 million sek. Too much.
    That's about £1.1 million, roughly; which if memory serves is less than what Queen Elizabeth receives every year for Royal upkeep/etc. When converted into pounds especially, it honestly doesn't look like that much; but then the Swedish monarchy may not bring in as much money as the British monarchy, in which case it might be an issue. As it is, the British monarchy actually makes Britain money.

Deleted
    Lel at the options.