Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[3DS] Bravely default

Just got this gem of jrpgs for myself, i got to play the demo for a few hours and i was hooked on the combat system, I was craving for a "reinvention of the wheel" in terms of turn based rpg's and got my crave satisfied, the overworld bgm gave me the chills of old times, i've been playing it for an hour or two and im totally hooked!
    I heard the 2nd part of the game turns a bit boring but we'll see, i tend to love mah rpg's (like golden sun 1-2, that game was just too pretty T_T)
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

The 2nd half goes a bit warlords of draenor. Think that's all I can say without spoiling but it's not boring if you like combat. I thought it was quite clever.

It's a very good game though and more people should play it. It's worth a 3DS.

It's an amazing game. I still haven't finished it because I'm at the second half (50 hours in) so I play for like 10-20 hours then take a months break before coming back to it. Combat is amazing though and mixing stuff later on is epic fun. I can't wait for the second one.

Golden Sun though I wish they would make a 4th game that was more similar to 1-2 or even just a remake of them. Amazing soundtracks, especially that one when you find the water adepts ship in the second one. Or Mars Lighthouse.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2014-08-19 at 12:22 AM.

Deleted
    I have had this game for months now but not played it due to random delays. Guess i should start playing it >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw, my friendcode is 1650-3131-5177.
    I must say I quite enjoy ringabel's charming character!
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

First like 60-80% of the game is really good.

After that it gets really boring, not just because of how the story goes, but because the combat breaks (or, stops being interesting/challenging) at higher levels. For the last maybe 20% of the game I disabled all random encounters and just ran from boss to boss, skipping huge amounts of exp, and was still able to kill the last boss without anyone in my entire party taking a single point of damage.

Definitely worth the purchase though.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    I want a 2DS almost exclusively for this game (though there would be others). Can't really justify buying any new consoles since I'd probably play one or two games on it, but a DS would be worth it. I saw reviews for it and it's all positive too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I want a 2DS almost exclusively for this game (though there would be others). Can't really justify buying any new consoles since I'd probably play one or two games on it, but a DS would be worth it. I saw reviews for it and it's all positive too.
    Get this game, the donkey kong country returns port, mario 3dland and shantae (the dsi version, it's on steam too, same as shovel knight), you'll be entertained for a while until mh4-ssb

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Get this game, the donkey kong country returns port, mario 3dland and shantae (the dsi version, it's on steam too, same as shovel knight), you'll be entertained for a while until mh4-ssb
    Shovel Knight's on my Steam wishlist. I like to wait for things to go on sale there, because they always do. But, it would require me buying a 2DS. In all honesty, it'd be the best time for it, since I have some money, and not many bills. But, I'm a frugal bitch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I think complaints about the game's second half are baseless, and people who think that it was boring or redundant missed the idea behind the events and design of the last few chapters.

Anyway, a little piece of advice to OP. You might be used to games that have physical types of damage and magical, when the latter usually do some kind of elemental damage. But not this time. In Bravely Default elemental property of an attack is independent of its physical/magical type. Physical attacks can inflict elemental damage too, in fact most of the attacks in the game are physical, unless they're explicitly called like Firaga or Blizzaga etc.

My FC if anyone wants: 5386-9155-5842
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Honestly, I think complaints about the game's second half are baseless, and people who think that it was boring or redundant missed the idea behind the events and design of the last few chapters.

Anyway, a little piece of advice to OP. You might be used to games that have physical types of damage and magical, when the latter usually do some kind of elemental damage. But not this time. In Bravely Default elemental property of an attack is independent of its physical/magical type. Physical attacks can inflict elemental damage too, in fact most of the attacks in the game are physical, unless they're explicitly called like Firaga or Blizzaga etc.

My FC if anyone wants: 5386-9155-5842
    Realized that since i played early final fantasy tactics.
    Unlocked the special moves and my mind got blown, dat customization (plus the abilities one) oh god <3~
    Last edited by barackopala; 2014-08-19 at 06:32 AM.

I agree with the concerns over the second portion of the game and have to say I'm glad you can just switch off random encounters when you no longer gain anything from them, if it wasn't for that I'd have stopped playing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    All I can say is grind up the Golden Egg and Growth Egg from rebuilding Norende, it makes getting through the later chapters a lot easier. I currently have all job classes, my party is around level 93 with mastered jobs in chapter 8. Basically what happens is that the same chapter repeats itself only more difficult bosses after chapter 5. I can steam roll all the bosses without even trying though. Getting the Growth Egg allows you to easily over level everything.

When your idea results in the players playing the game, who have been really enjoying it up to that point, suddently becoming bored with it, it's a terrible idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was pretty blatant padding though. If they cut down the Groundhog Day loop to like one or two repeats it might have been more forgiveable, but it went on for way too long and was all way too similar. I nearly dropped the game over it out of sheer disinterest, and I loved the first half. It wasn't the change in tone or theme I disagreed with (necessarily), it was just too tedious.

One thing this game did excellently was its job system. A few were too good and a few were too weak, but overall I had a load of fun playing around with them and crafting the team I wanted.

loved that game too but I actually hated the brave default system.

Felt like I had to brave every single turn or you would actually be setting yourself back. 4 mitigated turns followed by a massive burst turn is better than 1 turn after the other with no damage mitigation. Did not find that promoted a fun gameplay experience to me anyway.

Also didn't like the way they handled New Game+ but I won't go into that due to spoilers. I normally love games with New Game+ too so I guess that's saying something.

Through my hate I still thoroughly enjoyed it, gets a 9/10 from me anyway.
    Last edited by Asphyxiate9; 2014-08-19 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    One thing this game did excellently was its job system. A few were too good and a few were too weak, but overall I had a load of fun playing around with them and crafting the team I wanted.
    It did the job system well, but I wouldn't say excellently, unless you really love grinding easy trash mobs for hours. I guess the game was made for doing that though, with that whole auto-combat thing.

To elaborate on what I mean by that, I liked it the first part of the game, but by the later parts when you gain access to jobs like the vampire and pirate or whoever was at the very end there, it just takes way too long to level them up to the point where they're useful.

I wouldn't have minded it so much if there was a reason to grind it out, like optional bosses that rape super hard, but there just wasn't anything like that in the game as far as I could tell, so I didn't really feel compelled to min/max my characters that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    loved that game too but I actually hated the brave default system.

Felt like I had to brave every single turn or you would actually be setting yourself back. 4 mitigated turns followed by a massive burst turn is better than 1 turn after the other with no damage mitigation. Did not find that promoted a fun gameplay experience to me anyway.
    I liked the idea, but the execution wasn't all there I agree. It was also really easy to exploit when combined with buffs and that class ability that made everyone's attacks do nothing for 2 turns. Very easy to achieve literal immortality if you stacked speed on your buff characters.

Sunk almost 100 hours in it so far, missing one job, it's a solid rpg.
    The option to reduce or increase mob encounters is a simple but nice idea to have.
    Certain job combos are rather useful while others not so much

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh. I thought we had a Megathread on this but I can't seem to find it.

In any case I'm really enjoying it. I've been playing for a while on and off. I just have a hard time sitting down and playing a handheld game for hours so I usually get an hour or so in every so often. I'm worried that I'm approaching this point of the game that everyone hates.

The lack of Bravely Default on this forum is UNACCEPTABLE!

Mrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgr
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged