Question Need School/Gaming laptop. 2,400$ budget

I would like it to be able to run WoW, CS, noting too extreme but be able to do it if I wanted it to.

I also need it for school, so keep in mind that im going to be carrying this around alot. I would like a slim one.

budget is 2,400$

I was thinking about the origin evo15-S (cant post the link because im new) but I cant find any reviews on it because its basically brand new!.

Filled out this questionnaire to help you guys out!

LAPTOP QUESTIONNAIRE

Country of purchase: United States

Budget range: Top 2,400$

Purpose (netbook, ultraportable, mainstream, gaming, desktop replacement, etc.): School, Gaming

Screen size preference: Something big but not a hassle to carry around alot

OS preference (Windows/ Mac/ Linux): Windows

Gaming requirements (example games and desired fps/settings): CS,WoW,LoL, but able to handle top end games

Performance requirements (video, CAD, etc.): Just something that will last and not be outdated for a while

Method of computer support (office supplier, college bookstore, self support): Any

Brand preferences and reasons (already owned accessories, familiarity, business compatibility): Anything that im not really paying for the brand more then the computer IE: Alienware

Any particular style that you like (examples are great): show some ideas that look high tech

Which of the following qualities would you prefer? (Choose one, the other, or balanced)

Long battery life -vs- Low weight: a balance of both would be nice

Build quality -vs- Low price: quality

Low noise/heat -vs- High performance: balance of both as possible

Would you pay a premium for something that has:

High resolution screen: Yes

A great keyboard: Yes

A great touchpad/mouse buttons: Yes

Great audio: Not so much

Thank you in advance!!

Deleted
    Well, I would suggest you get the MSI GT72, extremely powerful and very cool, I play dark souls 2 with graphics mods at 74c and that's with the GT70 version.

I mean, unless you're like 5'5 and 130lbs a 8lbs 17incher laptop really isn't THAT hard to lug around, I travelled 20 hours with a laptop like that.

smaller, thin laptops can't really do games, unless you like ticking timebombs that go at 90c. Also the maxwell 900 series and M295x are coming out within 1-2 months and will be far stronger than anything we have now, so prepare to be disappointed since you had bad luck needing a laptop at the end of a mobile gpu generation.

For just WoW and CS don't bother spending anything over $1600. Can't say I recommend laptops though, if I were you i'd spend $1500 on a gaming PC and the rest on a cheap laptop.

If you want to stick it to a laptop MSI or Asus is the way to go. Digital storm might be a company of interest to you too though shipping outside of the US is ridiculous ($1000).

ASUS G550JK

can handle what you want + higher end games without costing a bomb. very value for money

10+ Year Old Account
    Can play around with this thing.
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Moving this to the build/upgrade subforum
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would be inclined to suggest an idea change to a cheaper laptop for portability and the rest on a lovely tower. (you could get away with spending less than $2400 too.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Spend 500 for the laptop, and buy desktop with the rest.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

i bought this last year - http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G75VW/ only downside for me its huge as fuck and a bit on the heavy side

Deleted
    Let's be honest: High-powered laptops are not much more expensive then their desktop counterparts. It's only if you go ultrabook, and spend extra for design that performance per dollar takes a huge dip.

If you're looking for a "pretty laptop" with good power, I would advice the Razer Blade. It's a beauty. There are days I would gladly trade my desktop PC for this. However; this laptop is a good example of poor gaming performance per dollar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1uj6wQTu58

If you're willing to prioritize portability over expandability, I would personally advice the ASUS ROG series. Their laptops have great cooling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdOpwHDEXHg

Do some research and see what you can find. MSI, ASUS and Sager all make great gaming laptops, that are not much more expensive then desktop machines with same hardware. It's all about portability or expandability - ask yourself if you'll be moving it alot from place to place to game, or if you're fine with having a "Gaming Central", and using a cheaper laptop for School/work
    Last edited by mmoc78f11d567d; 2014-08-19 at 02:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jeezus that Asus ROG Laptop with 880M. Makes me want to sell my system in my sig and try and attempt to buy that instead :/

What are the life expectancies of these Laptops? Does the battery deteriorate "fast" or the GPU dying within matter of couple years? Are there any modular top end laptops which you can change the GPU and what not as you wish?

Apologies for the slight thread hijack :3
    -K

Well I mean my PC is already pretty good. worth about 2,000. I was thinking of the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro, or even the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3K. Anyone have comments on these?

Deleted
    Hi Mister K

- The battery deteriorates fast after purchase - The ROG is not built with battery life in mind. You shouldn't attempt to game on battery, you should look at it like a UPS.
    - I do not believe you can change the GPU on the ASUS ROG series. Buying high end PC equipment should last you 3(ish) years, before I have to think about upgrading. I haven't heard or seen an Alienware, MSI or ASUS ROG deteriorate their GPU. They are built with cooling in mind.

I usually don't discourage people from buying a high end gaming laptop, but you really should consider if the portability is worth the lack of upgradability and expandability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sager. I recently bought a laptop around your budget and I went with a Sager NP8278-S from XoticPC (stock config changed to add 16GB RAM, 250GB Samsung SSD, cooling upgrade, and a pair of 1TB hard drives), however, I paid extra for a 3 year warranty(+Canadian shipping coverage) and needed to pay extra for shipping to Canada (USA people get free shipping), etc. Without those, my config would run you $1973.

With the extra budget, you could upgrade the graphics to 880M (from the stock 870M I went with) or beautify some with the painting/wrapping/etching services they offer or stack more SSD space, etc.

As far as carrying, a good backpack will serve you well. I personally have an Everki Beacon I bought to go with my new Sager and it's wonderful.

Or alternatively, if you have many textbooks, a rolling case might be a good idea. I used one all through college.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    The MSI Ghost GS60 3k? It looks great - like the Rzr Blade. It's a luxury gaming ultrabook. Couldn't find any negative reviews of it, and it seems like more people recommend the MSI Ghost over the Rzr Blade.

Here is some food for thought:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/raze...60-non-3k.html
    (even if its the non-3k version)

TLDR: The MSI Ghost pro 3k is a luxury item that will turn heads, but wont perform as well as a "regular" laptop or desktop in the same price category.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyyStrongg View Post
    I was thinking of the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro, or even the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3K. Anyone have comments on these?
    Overpriced IMO. The Ghost Pro 3k's stock config costs more than my suggested Sager build, but gives you an inferior CPU (with no option to upgrade it), smaller SSD (128GB vs. 250), only the single mechanical hard drive, and no optical drive.

About the only things the Ghost has going for it is thinness, lightness, and the F117-inspired lines, which I don't put any stock in.

Besides, if you really need an appearance that will turn heads, you can take the money you're saving on the Sager and put it into some laser etching or graphic wrapping.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-08-19 at 06:42 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chooah View Post
    Hi Mister K

- The battery deteriorates fast after purchase - The ROG is not built with battery life in mind. You shouldn't attempt to game on battery, you should look at it like a UPS.
    - I do not believe you can change the GPU on the ASUS ROG series. Buying high end PC equipment should last you 3(ish) years, before I have to think about upgrading. I haven't heard or seen an Alienware, MSI or ASUS ROG deteriorate their GPU. They are built with cooling in mind.

I usually don't discourage people from buying a high end gaming laptop, but you really should consider if the portability is worth the lack of upgradability and expandability.
    Hmm, I just wish I had moaaah monies to spend on a laptop. I guess if didn't buy my case and went with the microITX+Bitfenix Prodigy route I might have not actually considered selling my desktop in favor of a laptop. While my Cosmos 2 is a great case, it sucks for portability (no shijt Sherlock ). Anyway, it's really tempting.

Question:
    However I do video editing and semi-professional design work. How does that all compared to a desktop when doing content creation on a laptop? Is there a huge difference in performance and what not?
    -K