Wink Weight loss, It's possible.

Let me preface this by saying I don't find anything wrong with people who are overweight. Yes it may be a health concern, but I also believe that if someone is happy, then kudos to them. I'm here to tell my story.

I'm 21 now, I'm a relatively short guy, and I've struggled with my weight ever since I was young.
    As a young child, I was obese, I weighed 190 at the age of 12. By the time I turned 17, I was up to 240 lbs. It's worth mentioning that at 17, I was 5' 4". This was a turning point for me, I wanted to drop the weight I had. I was a happy person, had great friends, but I was always concerned about my health. It's been roughly 4 years since then and I'm happy to say that I've lost over 70 lbs, at 175 and still working on it.

I wanted to make a thread to tell anyone else who may be struggling with weight that if it really concerns you, just work to get rid of it. I know you've all heard "Cut out the soda, junk food, exercise, count calories" all of that. Yes it helps, but here's what I've done so far. I walk often, I walk to work and school. I cut way back on soda, but I have two a week, I drink water and sweet tea. I still eat like I used too, favorite dishes being things like baked chicken and baked beans. Stuff like that.

I'm tired, so I'm sorry if the thread is hard to read, I just wanted to let you guys know I'm rooting for you!

Deleted
    Well good for you !

Keep at it and you will be in the shape you want to be in eventually!

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Well good for you !

Keep at it and you will be in the shape you want to be in eventually!
    Thank you kindly. I'm hoping to get down to 140. It's a literal tremendous weight off of my back.

Good for you, congratulations!

I think most people are under the impression that it's much harder than it really is. It requires some lifestyle changes but none of them are really difficult once you've gotten over the initial "whoa I actually have to do something!" hurdle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Some people think that weight loss is as simple as drinking diet soda and eating less, but unless you actually exercise, you're not helping the situation much.

My sister has a hormonal problem that makes her be overweight, and she could be eating only fruits and vegetables 24/7 and it wouldn't help much. Everything changed when she started to turn weight loss into a hobby, walking and riding a bike during most of her free time. I don't know exactly how much weight she lost but the difference is massive, but it's something you can't stop, I'm sure that if she quit all that and jump into eating fast food she'll gain all that weight again tenfold.

Anyways, I'm happy for you, don't give up, and don't ever stop. Even if you reach a point where you're happy with your weight, don't drop your healthy habits!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post

I think most people are under the impression that it's much harder than it really is. It requires some lifestyle changes but none of them are really difficult once you've gotten over the initial "whoa I actually have to do something!" hurdle.

Oh of course, there were many times I felt like it wasn't working. I think the hardest part is like you said, getting over the initial hurdle. Generally the first few weeks.

Deleted
    Good for you man, hope you reach your goal eventually!

I also used to be heavy, i was not really overweight but I did not feel good about myself. Back in 2009 I was around 90kg (198lbs) or so, and I had a friend get my into working out at a local gym. I lost about 20kg in four months, with hard work and a diet, which made it possible for me to lose the weight i wanted.

Now, 5 years later. I'm in good shape and feel good about myself. I never thought that would happend but really, anything is possible

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm jealous of people that can put on weight easily, I'm 11 stone 6 foot and struggle to put on any weight at all depsite forcing food down my throat at regular intervals..so far today i've had 3 poached eggs on toast and a chocolate full fat milkshake i've still got 5 meals to go QQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I'm jealous of people that can put on weight easily, I'm 11 stone 6 foot and struggle to put on any weight at all depsite forcing food down my throat at regular intervals..so far today i've had 3 poached eggs on toast and a chocolate full fat milkshake i've still got 5 meals to go QQ
    Haha yeah. I got sick once and lost a lot of weight, to the point that i was starting to see my ribs. I had to start eating like a pig but it still took a long time for me to get all that weight back.

Great work OP, always glad to hear about success stories like this, keep it up m8

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's possible. You just need the discipline to exercise. Starvation diets almost never work, and people hate shitty food, so those "eat this shitty diet food" diets almost never work.

People need an epiphany to WANT to exercise and lose weight, that always seems to be what it takes. A lot try to advertise their method of how they lost 200 pounds as "the new fad diet" and make a lot of money off of it, but a lot just end up failing because they don't understand that to lose weight, calories in must not exceed calories burned. Whatever method or discipline they want to come up with that works for them is great, but there is no one miracle diet.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Heart attack grill, check it out.

To touch on the whole "shitty food" diets.

I still eat the food I like. I don't eat a lot of veggies *though I love broccoli and green beans*.

To each his own I guess. I was a lot less happy about myself at 74 KG(163 lbs) with a 6pack. I'm much happier at 116 KG (~255 lbs). Maybe I'd drop to 110 but I really wouldn't want to go lower.

I can liftz! I can run as much as I like and stuff like that so meh. I'll take the fluffy me.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Heart attack grill, check it out.
    Heck yeah, got one here in Vegas.

OT, I was 165 when I was 18, 245 when I was 22, and now at 31 I'm feeling pretty good at 175. One day I just thought to myself and started doing sit-ups, then p90x. Now I just eat whatever the hell I feel like and go to the gym 3-5 times a week. Each morning I jog a bit(before the sine comes up here in the summer). Haven't gained a pound since I was 25.

I don't mind overweight people. I wouldn't choose one for my partner because I feel that would be like someone who quit smoking for 5 years going out with someone who has a pck-a-day habit. If she was willing to work out with me and try I might think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post

Indeed. You just have to take one step at a time. For example, first get used to drinking water, coffee and tea only. You get used to something in just a week and after a few months you don't even want to drink soda anymore and you finally notice how ridiculously sweet and disgusting it is. The next step could be switching out some unhealthy food for healthy food (MacDonalds for rice, vegetables and chicken) or start eating a little less.
    I've seen people going on ridiculous forced "shake" diets and just fall back into old habits straight after. Diets are useless, you have to change your lifestyle one step at a time. Get used to the changes you make so you don't feel like you are constantly forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do. And when the results come and you start feeling better you will be motivated to keep going.

The only downside I had with losing weight (and I only lost 10 kg in weight) was that I didn't fit in my old jeans anymore :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    To each his own I guess. I was a lot less happy about myself at 74 KG(163 lbs) with a 6pack. I'm much happier at 116 KG (~255 lbs). Maybe I'd drop to 110 but I really wouldn't want to go lower.

I can liftz! I can run as much as I like and stuff like that so meh. I'll take the fluffy me.

Well, there's no use in being underweight for me :P I don't wanna weigh less than my wife.