Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Who the hell leaves them in for 6 months?!? I wear glasses at the moment, I would like to wear contacts sometimes but I don't know how to put them in without stretching my lower eyelid so I worry about sagging. However with glasses I have large dark areas under my eyes because the sun never gets there in the shade of my glasses lol. Lose/lose scenario

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm confused, she used the same monthly disposable contacts for 6 months?

Or did she just keep the contacts in her eyes for six months never removing or cleaning them in solution?

I wear contacts outside the house because glasses tend to make my sinus headaches worse, but I wear glasses when I'm at home to give my eyes a rest and stretch my contacts' life out. Those sumbitches COST.

6 months? I don't even know how that's possible, when I forget to take mine out for even a single night they already start to feel uncomfortable and I have to clean them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    6 months? I don't even know how that's possible, when I forget to take mine out for even a single night they already start to feel uncomfortable and I have to clean them.
    Same thoughts, it's not possible to wear them even longer than 24 hours, believe me I tried. So it must be that she used long-term lenses and not cleaned them properly. Unlucky. I really don't believe she had them in for 6 months straight, your eyes simply dry out. So must be a media teaser to make you read...

Also, I use One-day contacts, bit more expensive, but if you write down the name of the brand and know your eye-data so to speak you can just order them online and that's WAY cheaper than keep buying at your local opticien.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I have is my eyes drying out fast, and then again, it's not jsut the contacts to blame but my eye; the doctor told me I never completely close my eyes and therefore I might find dry issues later on. Turns out it was true, not a biiig deal tho.

Eh, Acanthamoeba is really rare. Most amoebas aren't that bad, but Acanthamoeba is that rare severe type of amoeba.
    Want to see an even rarer and deadlier type of amoeba? Naegleria fowleri

Disposables and long-wear contacts both came along after I was trained to use contacts. And once they'd arrived... neither one interested me in the least. Disposables seemed wasteful (we did not have much in the way of disposable income at that point in my life), and long-wear just make me think of waking up from a nap feeling like I had Elmer's Glue stuck to my eyeballs, which is neither comfortable nor likely safe for the eye. Removal of partially dried contact lenses is horrible. Especially after banging around the house on your way to the bathroom to get them out.

Low on sympathy for her. I didn't read the article because this is one instance where the subject matter makes me particularly squeamy. I guess I'm doubting the quality of service she got from whoever sold her those contacts. If she just got her prescription and then send that data to a contact lens website for cheap or cosmetic contact lenses, that would be possibly the only reason I can come up with for her being so utterly disinterested in taking care of her eyes. I've never, ever been to an eye doctor or glasses/contacts store that doesn't beat you over the head about taking care of your eyes and the various ways you can damage them. (stop rubbing your eyes, damnit)

I didn't wear contacts often. To school, to work, when I felt like it. Not ever for just around the house. Glasses were much more convenient. Early on it was for looks and the unique experience of not dealing with glasses, but looks never, ever trumped comfort or safety. If I couldn't get them in and comfortable in time to leave the house, then it was a glasses day. There were more and more glasses days as time wore on. XD

Of course now, I'm about 7 years post laser eye surgery. Worth it. (my focus range was less than 5 inches from my eyeballs, the surgery was not for cosmetic reasons; I frankly freaked out when I realized I couldn't recognize a very familiar person standing in the doorway - even body shape was too fuzzy to distinguish)
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Once I went to my ophtalmologist for a contact prescription. He said "well okay, but I have to tell you there is a small risk you will lose your eyes". I went out with new glasses prescriptions.

Deleted
    Pffff.. I was expecting gory photo's

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    The US also has a higher number of people who use teeth whitening procedures.

Not to generalise, as everyone is different, but from an outsider's perspective a lot of US culture includes appearance. I would assume people prefer contacts to glasses just because they think glasses don't look as good as contacts.
    Yet, IMO, glasses look very sexy on a lot of women.

This is old, old news. Like 2-4 weeks at least.

Anyways, this is why I have both glasses and contacts. Contacts for comfort and for usual daily stuff. Glasses for when my eyes get tired or when I just don't want to wear contacts. This girl really should have just invested in glasses. It sucks for her, but it ought to be a lesson to others not to do really, really foolish things such as leaving foreign pieces of plastic in your eye for six months - something you'd think would be common sense.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I personally switch. I have been using contacts for about 19 years and have never had a problem. It is probably because I actually follow instructions on use.

I do have days where I am just lazy and don't put contacts in, or I am going to be doing something (read:driving) that will dry my eyes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    glasses are just a pain in the ass. granted i dont and wont wear contacts. dont get me started on the big frame fad. i wish laser corrective was cheaper or covered by my vision insurance.
    Insurance will cover it eventually, the problem with laser is it does not effectively correct all vision impairments, astigmatism etc, once they get it perfected and cost effective, they probably will.

Im hoping

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    glasses don't look as good as contacts.
    I love a cute chick in glasses. Fucking love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    I never liked glasses as I always scratched mine and my glasses were always huge and looked stupid because they were so big they are bigger than the frame itself.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not far from the truth.

I, however, find women with glasses to be cute...in an adorkable kind of way. Geek chicks are the best.
    Glasses != Geekness

You have to keep your contacts clean, try to only use 1 a month and take out one of your contacts each night, switch it up every day.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Parasites can't breed anywhere as long as you don't introduce them to the environment yourself. You can leave your contacts in your eyes for two years straight as long as you don't go wandering around in mud, weird areas of this planet, or intentionally put your face in stuff that's potentially dangerous.

Parasites and shit do not appear out of nowhere.

This being said, I'm super lazy and I leave my contacts in my eyes for quite some time. That's why I bought these ultra luxury, super expensive, 24h keep it on even during the night - lenses.

I take them out whenever my eyes start to feel shitty. Then I wear like 2/3 days glasses, mostly over the weekend. Then I go back to my lenses.

/lol at people who think lenses are weird/dangerous/disgusting to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by Caesius Baelthar View Post
    Even though this is far from the norm I can't stand the idea of wearing contact lenses. They just really creep me out as I loathe anything touching my eye directly.
    You actually get used to it very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Pretty easy. I really only change mine, when they fall out.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Every time I hear about something like this, it's always happened in China for some reason.

That must suck though. I used to have contacts, and I was certifiable when it came to hygiene.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.