Poll: Do you regret persuing college?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I regret dropping $50,000 on a useless degree; I didn't know what I wanted out of life at the time and chose something I didn't really care about. I paid for it myself by working my ass off, living at home to minimize expenses, and generally being a miser with no social life.

Fortunately, I've finally been able to turn that degree into something actually useful, and something I genuinely care about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
    There was a lot of girls at college. heh
    Yeah, I was looking at the rates, and it is like 55-70% females in many of the schools.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-08-20 at 12:33 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I don't regret college itself, I regret that I wasted valuable loans on credits I didn't need for a year and a half.

If you're not absolutely sure you know what you want to do, like 100% (not 99%), I wouldn't advise it. Take the basics and get them over with at community, then go to a university, that way you have a bit more to think about it, but are still in gear.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Yeah, I was looking at the rates, and it is like 55-70% females in many of the schools.
    Yeah, the medicine faculty was and is massively dominated by women at the University I attended, I think it's +70% women. The IT faculty on the other hand was dominated by men(suprise suprise), but there was still a fair amount of women, I'd guess 40/60 women/men, business and law was pretty much even split.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Live in ireland, so college =/= Bankruptcy :P

Not at all. I did my Political Science undergrad in my hometown at the University of British Columbia, worked for a few years and then went to Columbia University for my MSc. Both degrees were fun and rewarding to earn and are useful in what I do for a living. Didn't have to take on any debt either. UBC was cheap enough for me to pay for it myself and by the time I attended Columbia, I had made enough money to cover the program costs and the cost of living in NY.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've got a business diploma and soon to have an accounting degree. I enjoyed my time in the school and I'm very excited to get out into the real world. Not too sure if I'll regret college or not yet. We'll see how long the job hunt takes.

I've done good to balance the little debt I've had through a series of accounts that keep the lowest rates so I could pay off most of it with a job at Mcdonalds if I needed to.

Nope. Changed my life. Gave me the opportunity to live well from here on out, both financially and personally. Was lucky that my parents were wise enough to invest in an RESP.

I more wish I had done it 10 years ago instead of waiting till now. My main reasoning is that now a lot of 'in class' classes do all their shit online, but if you don't show up to class you fail. It's so moronic and pisses me off. If I signed up for a fucking in class class do the fucking class in class. Sorry... Dealing with that right now in a class. I don't even know 100% what I'm doing in school right now. I don't have a definitive road map as it were. I'm just looking to do something I can enjoy because I won't work at a gas station the rest of my life. Don't even care about the money that much. I just want to be able to get a job doing something that doesn't make me want to eat a bullet and live out whatever days I have left not having my career.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Gratz bruh! Its gonna be hard work, but will be worth it. Are you in Iowa and thats why you asked?
    Yeah.

IDK why I was under the impression that you were a Iowa student.

College was the best 4.5 years of my life. I miss the days where you and your buddy's could get plastered on the front lawn... On a Tuesday. If you're not enjoying college, you are doing it wrong!

I just graduated and I don't regret it, I regret not moving out while in college though. I would have gone to a lot more parties if I wasn't living with my parents.

If college was free it would have made my life so much better haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Yeah.

IDK why I was under the impression that you were a Iowa student.
    fair enough

They do need to stop forcing all majors to take liberal arts classes though. They didn't make sociology majors take marketing management classes, why the heck did I have to take philosophy and music lecture? (Free As without going to class was nice but still a waste of time.)

10+ Year Old Account
    While I sometimes wish I had picked a different major at the beginning, I don't regret going to college.

I am lucky enough to have a father who saved enough money for me to go to college, without me having to do much on my end to pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Kind of what the title says. I have a morbid curiosity for these kinds of things.

Also how did you go around to paying it off? Was it through the military, loans, rich grandmothers?
    I didn't get my degree till I was 35 I regret not getting it sooner. Unless you like working shitty jobs that can easily replace you or know someone that can get you a decent job without an education you will struggle. The problem is people get stupid degrees. Sure photo journalism sounds fun to do for a living until you find out no one will hire you unless you know someone important to them. Same goes for other stupid degrees that have 0 job marketability. I like computers ergo I went into Computer Science and you know what they can't hire CS graduates fast enough. I owe 40 thousand in student loans and sure that sucks but I will make over double what I made in my best earning year my first year of being employed and in 3 -5 years I can get a management job starting at over 100 grand a year.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2014-08-20 at 04:17 AM.