Thread: RNG in Dota 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be not PRD, but pure RND with ~20% chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

RNG elements are present, not only with the runes, but in heroes also, you have so much heroes with passive % chance to dodge/stun/blabla.

But, all that goes both sides. The only thing you can't do, is pick the same heroes.

If the other team didn't give the rune up so easily, it would be a better game. Put one sentry on the runes, and gang the motherfucker every 2 minutes

So no, I don't think RNG affects competitive Dota gameplay, it just makes it that much more interesting.

Runes are available to both teams, its not like that every team gets separate runes, and one of them is luckier, in that case, it would.

Same rune, same map, a question of who gets to it better, and who gets to it first.
    Last edited by Ohmygonzo; 2014-08-22 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    You cannot influence or control when you evade an attack or proc a crit, because they are based on rolling a set of dice, which is why they are luck-based mechanics, and inherently lower the level of direct influence player skill has on the results.
    Exactly. PRD may allow you to occasionally tweak the circumstances in your favour, but ultimately chance is the deciding factor in when things will proc. I wonder, however, if things would be better if Hero passive bashes and crits were controllable by the player themselves if things would play out any better? I think it would make for more interesting play around what are otherwise entirely passive abilities. I've already posted one possible way that could be done and I'll do everyone the favour of not repeating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor
    winning mindgames in games is always luck. It's not 50/50, but more like, 30/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/13/2/4/5/6/7/3/2/3/6/12, so when you bet on X which has 30% chance of happening (for example, getting proxy pylon on your second, as you mentioned SC in your post), there is 70% chance that he won't do it. So when you guess that he did proxy pylon (not when he 4 gated you with blink stalkers, but when you scouted pylon), because you decided to take longer route for our scout-worker and lost minerals/gas because of it, you won. But if you didn't - you lost. It's probably language barrier and i won't explain it better, but mindgames (which IS part of games with complete information and ) involves luck, luck can be considered as RNG (you can get lucky and your opponent will think that you plan to do X, but in reality you plan to do Y which counters something that counters X) and it is persistent in almost all multiplayer games
    This is a classic case of information asymmetry. Your opponent knows something you don't and is exploiting that advantage. You can only work from the information you have, which allows players to deliberately mislead you if played well. Whats also interesting is that this works both ways in RTS games, your opponent likely has incomplete information about what you intend to do too allowing you to also mislead them also.
    The same also applies in Dota. If your opponents don't know what you're up to, they'll have a much harder time making the right decision about how to react to it. This is why warding and dewarding is important, it creates uneven situations that can be exploited to gain advantages. Warding almost never happens by chance, its other players ensuring they know what you're up to to get the upper hand for their team.

Neither of these are anything to do with RNG in the slightest. To quote a certain Priestess, "it's not luck but skill!".