Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Doesn't really surprise me. World of Warcraft has been played by so many people that it's hard to get a reliable source of new players into the game. Add to that a toxic community that expects perfection out of people who have never played and you have a recipe for decline.
    Toxic community and the strive to get better should be in different context here.
    You have a choice to play poorly.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    OT: Of course they don't expect that. Who does? WoW has a normal product life cycle and it's reached the decline. All they can and will do now is try to slow the descent (and occasionally subs will bump up, due to expansions and stuff). I don't see the issue here.
    Well the issue here is that the human mind fears the future when it can't see what it beholds. We would even go as far as believing in unrealistic hopes rather than staying unable to tell what comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Add to that a toxic community that expects perfection out of people who have never played and you have a recipe for decline.
    More like, unrealistic expectations from players that are not up to the challenge and refuse to learn how to get there, while at the same time wanting others to carry them through out of some misguided feeling of entitlement. That's been quite toxic to the core community over the past decade, agreed.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2014-08-19 at 02:50 PM.
    Your rights as a consumer begin and end at the point where you choose not to consume, and not where you yourself influence the consumed goods.

Translation: if you don't like a game don't play it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    DA COMUNITY BE TOXICCC!!!11

Fucking stupid shit that is thrown around every fucking time.

Yet you prove his point........

“We really don’t know if it will grow again. It is possible, but I wouldn’t say it’s something that we expect."

-- Tom Chilton.

But the headline is much more exciting.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    How can they? The only thing that allowed WoW to grow to the ridiculous size it reached is, I believe, the fact that it covered all the "niches" in a time when MMORPGs in general were pretty damn scarce. But now we have PvP-focused, RP-focused, small-group-focused, furry-focused, WHATEVER-focused MMO's all over the damn place.

The 12m-mark was simply the result of a perfect storm of possibilities. Mind you, I still think of WoW as the best MMORPG on the market, but there are so many competitors tailored towards specific niches that you don't have to 'make do' with WoW anymore.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    Pretty sure WoW hasn't grown since the launch of Wotlk. A spike of subbers for 2 months at the launch of a new Xpack doesn't really count is growth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    How can they? The only thing that allowed WoW to grow to the ridiculous size it reached is, I believe, the fact that it covered all the "niches" in a time when MMORPGs in general were pretty damn scarce. But now we have PvP-focused, RP-focused, small-group-focused, furry-focused, WHATEVER-focused MMO's all over the damn place.

The 12m-mark was simply the result of a perfect storm of possibilities. Mind you, I still think of WoW as the best MMORPG on the market, but there are so many competitors tailored towards specific niches that you don't have to 'make do' with WoW anymore.
    It is the best MMORPG in regards of how polished it is, then again any MMORPG could be like that if they launched at that time instead of WoW. It's only normal for a game to be more polished and developed after many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    Toxic community and the strive to get better should be in different context here.
    You have a choice to play poorly.
    Some people don't really have a choice. I think you underestimate the amount of stupid in the world. Just because a person can get through buying and installing a product doesn't automatically imply that they have huge potential as gamers.

10+ Year Old Account

/slowclap. Drips with irony.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi my name is Kappa 123 im an journalist i had an interview with tom chilton !

he said WoW is dead!! ofc i dont have any source but hey its true like the post from OP #truth

Well, if Blizzard themselves don't believe in their ability to create a great game that would be enjoyed by more people than today, why should players?

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is doing great in fact the only reason it is on decline after not growing for 1 year < Is because Blizzard isnt going to give us new content for 15 months, no shit it doesnt grow then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Every game has a life cycle, anybody who doesn't understand this is a fool.

It's why I laugh when you see Blizzdrones in quarterly threads saying they expect subs to go up to 10 million + in WoD
    Yeah that's true, but that doesn't change that these "news" is bullshit also that doesn't mean that the game is going to die soon

Honestly, I still think Metzen thinks that going the "rawr Orcs grr Savage clang Warring Nations" thing is going to pull in people because, apparently?, the few million people we lost were too immature to handle an Asian theme.
    Last edited by TheWindWalker; 2014-08-19 at 03:02 PM.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    Actually have to agree with him there, adding more and more levels just makes it more unattractive for people to come back into the game.

10+ Year Old Account

Your response pretty much says it all.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Warlords of Draenor and MoP can barely be called the same product, MoP and TBC is two entirely different products.
    The product is World of Warcraft, each expansion being an extension of the original product - in an attempt to extend the life cycle which has been extremely successful. The monetization systems they've implemented have also been handled extremely well - pets, mounts, transmog gear, transfers, etc have been a goldmine; successfully supplementing the loss of subscription dollars and farming their existing clientele for further revenue.

Other MMO's cannot hold a candle to the success that WoW has found. I don't consider myself an expert, but I do have 13 years of construction and web project/product management experience so my insight may be a bit more lucid than the mob proclaiming that the end is nigh.

...& because everybody loves life cycle charts - A project management industry standard that applies to most, if not all products:

With Blizzard about to release their 5th expansion, I'd say that's pretty damn impressive.
    Last edited by entitlement; 2014-08-19 at 03:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    For the product life cycle model to apply, you must first determine what the "product" here is. Are we talking about WoW, the brand or are we talking about WoW - Cataclysm, WoW - MoP, The MMO genre etc.
    Totally agree, and also wanna add. Say they lower sub fee to 2$ month, they will prob prove the life cycle based on subs wrong, but not the cycle based on profit.

And another thing is that alot of products reach a stable level after a huge rise and then a decline... i much rather have a stable 5m WoW players than this up and down rollercoaster. Alot easier to keep and maintain a reliable raiding crew with not as many coming and going.
    Last edited by mmoce0fbfedb17; 2014-08-19 at 03:14 PM.

WOD: 8.5 million subscribers minimum.

Reason: nothing new in MMO land that is even worth a try except WOD. EOS and WildStar burned their bridges already - as usual.

I played Destiny and it is ... a shooter: young 16 year old ADHD males will love it. But that's not your WOW public.

D3 is played out, no trading means no play. HS is used on the loo, so I don't see any competition this fall.

It depends whether MMORPG's are really dead or not. But even then WOW stays the reference everyone who looks for MMO play will be interested in.

All the rest of the bunch is in the last straight line of free to play mechanics. After that it is the cemetery next to Warhammer and other Vanguard graves.

Those usual suspects coming in and shout "...but I know a Chinese MMO with 2 billion players...": good , play that then in Chinese....
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-19 at 03:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by entitlement View Post
    The product is World of Warcraft, each expansion being an extension of the original product - in an attempt to extend the life cycle which has been extremely successful. The monetization systems they've implemented have also been handled extremely well - pets, mounts, transmog gear, transfers, etc have been a goldmine; successfully supplementing the loss of subscription dollars and farming their existing clientele for further revenue.

Other MMO's cannot hold a candle to the success that WoW has found. I don't consider myself an expert, but I do have 13 years of construction and web project/product management experience so my insight may be a bit more lucid than the mob proclaiming that the end is nigh.

...& because everybody loves life cycle charts - A project management industry standard that applies to most, if not all products:

With Blizzard about to release their 5th expansion, I'd say that's pretty damn impressive.
    It's not impressive in the slightest considering the success of the game was mostly based on luck and the start of MMORPG genre to become popular.