Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[WIP] WoD PvE Feral Complete Guide

Work In Progress, as this is beta, and we no nothing for sure.
    First Installment of this Guide will focus on Talents going into Warlords.

This guide is directed toward newer feral pve players. This guide will not completely min/max your feral druids dps, as I feel no guide will be able to do that, without giving a complete break down of every fight and potential situation. This guide will however be complete in covering the whole of the class, ex. talents, glyphs, rotations, stat priorities etc... The attempt of this guide is to provide the easiest way for you and your feral druid to do great damage, while allowing you to focus on the fight and provide utility for your group/raid. I believe that druids are one of the only truly effective support classes left in WoW, and with melee always being limited in a raid setting you need to lean on these support pieces to help secure your spot in guilds/raids. Now onto the Guide.

Talents.
    Level 15. Feline Swiftness- Increases your movement speed by 15%. I believe this talent is generally the best way to go. You never have to worry about it, and it is extremely helpful moving for mechanics.

Level 30. Ysera's Gift- Heals you for 4% of your maximum health every 5 sec. If you are at full health, a random nearby injured ally will be healed instead. This talent is very useful as another passive way to heal yourself or others. The other talents just won't be as useful to the group/raid. One could argue that Renewal is a decent alternative, however you get the same instant big heal from healing touch.

Level 45. Typhoon-Summons a violent Typhoon that strikes targets in front of the caster within 30 yards, knocking them back and dazing them for 6 sec. Usable in all shapeshift forms. For PvE this talent can either be extremely Useful or extremely Annoying. This is a great way to push mobs back that you need to dps down before they get to a certain point, or if you need to interrupt more than one target in a group. Example- In the new WoD dungeon Everbloom the first boss (Witherbark) Aqueous Globules move towards the boss and you must dps them down before they arrive. Using Typhoon will give you more time to take them out.

Level 60. Soul of the Forest- Your Finishing moves grant 4 Energy per combo point. This is another talent I favor because of its passivity. This helps reduce downtime and with up time on Savage Roar/Rip.

Level 75. Mighty Bash- Invokes the spirit of Ursoc to stun the target for 5 sec. Simply take this talent to stun priority lock down targets.

Level 90. Dream of Cenarius- Increses healing from Healing Touch and Rejuvenation by 20%. Your Healing Touch and Rejuvenation also heal you when used to heal someone else. What healing in dps spec? What is this? This is one key way you can support your group/raid. This talent buffs your healing of these two spells, and one of the Draenor leveling perks is Enhanced Rejuvenation- You can cast Rejuvenation while in Bear Form or Cat Form. When to use. Simply this can be very powerful to add Rejuvenation into your rotation about every 15 seconds, and use Healing Touch whenever you get a proc of Predatory Swiftness- Your finishing moves have a 20% chance per combo point to make your next...... Healing Touch become instant, free, and castable in all forms. How to maximize this talent. Create the two macros below. Use the Rejuvenation macro roughly once every 15 seconds, and use the Healing touch macro only with Predatory Swiftness procs.

Note: instead of (at) use shift+2. The at sign isn't allowing me to post, because mmo champion thinks it's a link.

Macro 1- Rejuvenation
    #showtooltip Rejuvenation
    /cast [(at)targettarget] Rejuvenation

Macro 2- Healing Touch
    #showtooltip Healing Touch
    /cast [(at)targettarget] Healing Touch

Reason to use these macros? Well if you are healed by these spells while casting them on an ally you might as well pop these heals on the tank (or current aggro target of your target). This will enable you to keep your current target and simply use your keybind to be an awesome healing support class. This becomes less useful the further on in expansions, when healers become super geared, however the help you can provide using this at the beginning of an expansion is invaluable. Note: If you have an easy was to macro spells to cast on players (healbot) you could use it to triage specific targets rather than always target or target.

Level 100. Bloodtalons- Casting Healing Touch causes your next two melee abilities to deal 30% addition damage. Number one reason to use this as your level 100 talent is how well it works with your Level 90 talent. Additionally I find Lunar Inspiration-Moonfire is now usable while in Cat Form, generates 1 combo point, deals damage based on attack power, and costs 30 energy to be less damage, not worth the pain of keeping up Savage Roar, Rip, Rake, and Moonfire. Perhaps with more crit this will be viable damage wise, but since we are using Healing Touch on proc it just makes more sense to go with Bloodtalons. Now Claws of Shirvallah- Reneade Druids have developed the ability to shapeshift into a creature half man and half cat. This alternate Cat Form allows the use of all non-damaging Druid spells while shapeshifted, and increases Versatility by 5%. Using non-damaging spells isn't a big deal, since we already get to use healing touch in cat form, what else do we really need? I mean if Tranquility was still available for feral, then maybe I'd see the point of this. 5% versatility? The math may favor versatility in some fights that won't allow you to easily use blood talons effectively. However I find this will be strictly a pvp talent.
    Last edited by FracturedTeucent; 2014-08-21 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FracturedTeucent View Post
    This guide will not completely min/max your feral druid.
    So why did you call it the complete guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    So why did you call it the complete guide?
    Ill be adding to it.. Right now im running into an error placing in my macros.. Don't fret. More is coming. Complete as in ill cover everything, and I will add in what will min/max your character's damage. However ill be focusing on those who are new to the class, or need a basic understanding. Mostly I say the guide won't completely min/max dps, for two reasons, Im focusing on the support pieces of the class, and I can't encompass every fight that would adjust when and how you use some abilities. In essence no guide will min/max in every situation. I want to encourage people to think for themselves on different encounters.
    Last edited by FracturedTeucent; 2014-08-19 at 02:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First line I read was you advocating NOT to use feral charge.. Umm what?
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    First line I read was you advocating NOT to use feral charge.. Umm what?
    You can use it.. Im just not convinced it will give you the most up time on the boss, or help you move out of more mechanics.

Appreciate the guide but I'll wait for the knowledgeable people on FD to fill us in!

Soruzi
    Rogue

Draenor

Deleted
    Sorry but this is no help to anyone. Suggesting one single way to play your character half-bad (if this part is any indication of what is to come) is in no way a "complete guide". Seven out of twenty-one talents are mentioned and the rest are disregarded. A good way to waste any Healing Touch and Rejuvenation utility is mentioned along with exactly zero alternatives. The thought and effort is appreciated, but the product isn't worth it.
    Last edited by mmocea9cec0ead; 2014-08-20 at 04:20 PM.

As someone who is looking to giving Feral a try for the first time in WoD, I did not find this guide to be very helpful. A breakdown explaining the pros and cons of each talent within a tier would be useful, assuming your information is accurate. Comments like "I believe this talent is generally the best way to go" don't do a great job convincing me to take one talent over another.

I appreciate the effort, but the execution feels poor to me.

I think you guys are being a little harsh on the OP. The very first reply is completely useless and quotes out of context... This guide is clearly a work in progress.

Seeing as how the game hasn't even been released yet, it would be much better for the people who are criticizing the guide to add SUGGESTIONS to improve it instead of adding nothing.

OT: 100 tier: Blood talons will undoubtedly be the best for DPS. The moonfire one could be extremely interesting but probably won't scale well enough to be effective in PvE. Cat-man will probably be equivalent to the dps gained from HoTW (note DPS, not utility). Overall, until final tuning, this is speculation but tier 100 seems the same as tier 90 now for dps choices, where DoC (Bloodtalons) will be the best DPS with HoTW (Cat-man) not far behind. Hopefully this will be the case because I personally don't like DoC rotation. It feels clunky to me and I am rather disappointed that Blizz wants feral cat to have this DoC rotation instead of other possibilities. However, I haven't been on the beta much so I am not sure how DoC flows without other snap shotting effects to worry about.

Right now for example I use HoTW with treants (won't be viable in WoD since they won't snap shot afaik) which is very close to DoC in damage but feels much more fluid with great HoTW utility (bye bye cat tranq :[). Imo, DoC only seems extremely fun with a RoRo for super snap shots (which I don't have :[).
    -Awesome sig by Darthne-

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadard View Post
    I think you guys are being a little harsh on the OP. The very first reply is completely useless and quotes out of context... This guide is clearly a work in progress.

Seeing as how the game hasn't even been released yet, it would be much better for the people who are criticizing the guide to add SUGGESTIONS to improve it instead of adding nothing.
    People are being harsh because the link to the title doesn't state that it's a Work in progress, seeing as the full number sweeps haven't even happened yet these sorts of things can't really be written in stone so they should just be held back until we know everything and then release a complete guide with small updates as we get into the raid tiers properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekusar View Post
    People are being harsh because the link to the title doesn't state that it's a Work in progress, seeing as the full number sweeps haven't even happened yet these sorts of things can't really be written in stone so they should just be held back until we know everything and then release a complete guide with small updates as we get into the raid tiers properly.
    You're right. Poor choice of words in the title, and if I could edit it I would have within minutes of posting. However, I didn't realize I needed to state that it was a work in progress. I mean it is beta right, and I'm stating what I have had success with in beta, even on live blizzard still plays with classes and changes how abilities work throughout expansions, so every guide is a work in progress right. I put to much faith in this community that they would understand where someone is coming from.

- - - Updated - - -

Right now for example I use HoTW with treants (won't be viable in WoD since they won't snap shot afaik) which is very close to DoC in damage but feels much more fluid with great HoTW utility (bye bye cat tranq :[). Imo, DoC only seems extremely fun with a RoRo for super snap shots (which I don't have :[).
    On an interesting side note I out healed a RShammy in Auchindoun (5 man normal) today using DoC healing touch and Rejuv, with the macros I have listed. So I imagine once blizz reads the feedback i sent in about it they will probably take a look at it and retune it.

Deleted
    OT: 100 tier: Blood talons will undoubtedly be the best for DPS. The moonfire one could be extremely interesting but probably won't scale well enough to be effective in PvE. Cat-man will probably be equivalent to the dps gained from HoTW (note DPS, not utility). Overall, until final tuning, this is speculation but tier 100 seems the same as tier 90 now for dps choices, where DoC (Bloodtalons) will be the best DPS with HoTW (Cat-man) not far behind. Hopefully this will be the case because I personally don't like DoC rotation. It feels clunky to me and I am rather disappointed that Blizz wants feral cat to have this DoC rotation instead of other possibilities. However, I haven't been on the beta much so I am not sure how DoC flows without other snap shotting effects to worry about.
    It would have been fine if this were mentioned in the "guide". It just disregards one third of all talents and makes it seem like they don't exist or are completely non-viable. All talents need to be considered especially because it is still in beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FracturedTeucent View Post
    You're right. Poor choice of words in the title, and if I could edit it I would have within minutes of posting. However, I didn't realize I needed to state that it was a work in progress. I mean it is beta right, and I'm stating what I have had success with in beta, even on live blizzard still plays with classes and changes how abilities work throughout expansions, so every guide is a work in progress right. I put to much faith in this community that they would understand where someone is coming from.

- - - Updated - - -
    And there it is. I've spent a fair bit of time on beta, I've leveled without dying, I've topped meters on raid testing, I'd say I've got the hang of things. BUT and its a BIG BUT when it comes to guides, people want the BEST information available to them. That isn't information that 'looks right' or 'feels good' its the rotation and talents that MATH SAYS IS BEST.

If people have enough sense to ask or search the community for answer, the answers they find should be the right ones. Misleading or misinforming people, in my opinion is worse than not informing them at all.

These a fine opinions, and personal thoughts OF YOURS but this is in no way shape or form a well informed GUIDE.

To stop all the haters hating (and they will) just edit in IN BIG BOLD LETTERS these are my thoughts and impressions so far etc etc.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

If people have enough sense to ask or search the community for answer, the answers they find should be the right ones. Misleading or misinforming people, in my opinion is worse than not informing them at all.

These a fine opinions, and personal thoughts OF YOURS but this is in no way shape or form a well informed GUIDE.
    Just quoting this firstly. If you're going for the "best" in terms of numbers Incarnation is currently beating Soul on beta by a mile.

Tier 1, Tier 5 and Tier 6 are completely situational. There is not "one" best talent choice there. You make an argument for DoC I can make just as solid one for NV. Currently on beta NV is a dps gain as it still copies healing as damage.

Tier 5 changes depending on what the encounter needs.

The same can be said for Tier 1. I won't touch Feline Swiftness with a 10 foot pole- Displacer Beast has saved my butt far to many times from other people's derp.

Depending on the encounter Claws of Shirvallah might also be more beneficial to the raid. Current tier Immer comes to mind for healing adds given without Heart it is not something we can easily perform now. Who knows they might add a "Dreamwalker" like fight (I doubt it) where this talent will really shine.
    Last edited by FeralSynapse; 2014-08-21 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ FeralSynpase not entirely sure about the point of your post. Are you talking to me or the OP?

I think you're talking to the OP as far as Inc>Sotf? While he says the reasons he 'likes it' there is no math, and nothing stated about the other choices in that tier.

That's like me saying: my guide to clothing 'I like to wear jeans, they have pockets, everyone should wear jeans'. As good as jeans are, if its fucking hot outside, i'll put a pair of shorts on cause guess what shorts>jeans when its hot.

This is not a guide, its full of one sided ill-informed arguements.

Honestly this thread should be locked because I feel the OP is probably getting more grief than he deserves.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,

@xtramuscle
    I quoted you for the valid point(s) you made but was address the rest of it to the Op. Apologies for not making that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivook- View Post
    Appreciate the guide but I'll wait for the knowledgeable people on FD to fill us in
    ☐ Not REKT
    ☑ REKT
    ☑ REKTangle
    ☑ SHREKT
    ☑ REKT-it Ralph
    ☑ Total REKTall
    ☑ The Lord of the REKT
    ☑ The Usual SusREKTs
    ☑ North by NorthREKT
    ☑ REKT to the Future
    ☑ Once Upon a Time in the REKT
    ☑ The Good, the Bad, and the REKT
    ☑ LawREKT of Arabia
    ☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT
    ☑ eREKTile dysfunction

To stop all the haters hating (and they will) just edit in IN BIG BOLD LETTERS these are my thoughts and impressions so far etc etc.
    First, I don't mind if people hate. It is the internet I'm sure my self esteem can handle it. Also now and then through the hate someone says something that makes sense or helps me. For example, It isn't enough to state why I use one talent if I don't further say why I don't use others. That makes sense and I'm fine with going back and doing that. It would be nice if someone just said, "hey can you add why you don't take these other talents?" but it is the internet, easier to hate than to ask intelligent questions. Further as far as giving misleading or misinformation, I disagree. I state that this guide is not about maximizing dps, but rather utility, which feral has the best dps healing utility right now. Without having to stop dps I can heal a great deal with this build. If you're only looking for a guide that wants to push the best dps possible, i'd call you a bad raider, and I wouldn't want you for progression. Also if you want to accuse me of being misinformed or misinforming others have you tried a build with these talents? If you haven't tested it then how can you judge it?...... to me that sounds like you're assuming as much as you are accusing me of assuming.

- - - Updated - - -

That's like me saying: my guide to clothing 'I like to wear jeans, they have pockets, everyone should wear jeans'. As good as jeans are, if its fucking hot outside, i'll put a pair of shorts on cause guess what shorts>jeans when its hot.

This is not a guide, its full of one sided ill-informed arguements.
    How do you know they are ill-informed? have you tried this build? Are you suggesting that I haven't tried others? Do you know that for sure? and yes it is like the guide to preference in certain situations, because certain things are better in different situations. Couldn't we say that about any guide? Also aren't most guides fairly one sided? the Side the poster feels is works well? If i merely stated what every talent did, but didn't take a stand on any of them wouldn't that be pointless? Now if you want to know why I don't use a different talent you need only ask.. No need to jump to conclusions about how well thought out my build is.

I'm not actually sure what you're doing now, it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. It's very clear what you're trying to do, you want to be the person to write a guide because it makes you feel special or whatever, I've seen it many times before on lots of different MMOs.

To put it blunt, your guide is bad, almost everything you have mentioned is wrong and any top Feral would say so too, to make it worse you're then trying to defend yourself for whatever reason, as if you think we're attacking you or something. Then you say it's your opinion so it doesn't have to be correct, in which case then this isn't a guide and you should probably delete it and post it on your personal blog or something.

If you are making a guide you have 2 options:
    1. Make sure everything you say is correct; or
    2. Don't make a guide

Also just so you know purposely giving our false information can earn you infractions on MMO-C.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2014-08-22 at 06:49 AM.

People are being a little harsh but a better thread title would be Tips for new Ferals. Also on something like this it's best to just keep in a text document and wait until your absolutely sure it is ready then post it.