Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Challenge Mode set, am I too late?

Hi guys,

Recently dinged 90 with my paladin. I want the challenge mode set very bad, since it's one of the best looking sets in game imo.
    I read that a prepatch to WOD will end the Challenge Mode, you can't obtain the items anymore by then.

Am I too late to get it? If not, what are your suggestions to get it quick? I only got some Timeless Isle items and some LFR.

- Ret or Prot?
    - How to gear up quick for this quick?
    - Anyone knows when the prepatch is coming already?

10+ Year Old Account
    We should totally team up for these. Im looking for at least silver runs as well, but preferably gold. I can go on a paladin/hunter/mage/warlock. All dps specs unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prot will find groups easier (tanking), but ret is a lot easier to do it as, since you'll just have to hit things and not worry about timing CD's and stuff

Use whatever gear you're wearing. You'll only need BiS gear for it if you're pushing server first times.

Prepatch is coming 4-6 weeks before the expansion launch.

It took me around 2 - 3 weeks of planning to get people who were dedicated enough to get gold. It is not hard, but it's also not a walk in the park.

I disapprove of this, but if you do not manage to get the set before the pre-expansion patch, consider buying a boost by gold/cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a comment on twitter a while back that said the prepatch was due about a month before release so around the middle of October.

You are definitely not too late but time is certainly ticking. A lot of people are in the same boat as you, though, so you should find lots of people in similar positions. If you are only concerned about speed, you can always find a group to boost you through them. Most servers have at least one group who are capable of doing that. It will cost you, though. Usually upward of 100k. If you don't have that kind of money lying around, try OpenRaid. I prefer it to oQueue. You should be able to find a group that suits your needs.

Ret isn't particularly great for CMs. I have completed them as Holy myself and know people who have completed them as Prot. That said, with a good group and a solid player, any spec can complete them on gold for the set.
    For gearing, keep doing those LFRs. Try to get items that have your key stats while also having the maximum amount of gem slots possible - gems do not get scaled down in CMs so they are free stats. Run ToT and SoO LFR and try to get into SoO flex as well. That will maximise your opportunity for drops and ToT does have some very strong items for CMs for most specs.

Good luck!

I myself was a noob to these and started CMs few weeks ago and now am 9 /9 gold on both my Holy Paladin and Resto Druid.

Spec
    Ret is HIGHLY unwanted in CMs and no pug would wana invite you. Cant really blame ret for this as all melees are unwanted. Prot and holy would be much easier to get into groups.

I would say that healing may be the most easy job on CMs as the tank and Dps really need to be good in order to get gold, DPS doesnt just have to DPS but also cc and aoe and not get hit by one shotting mechanics. But thats just my opinion as i have never dps-ed CMs or tanked them but i think they are the harder jobs then healing it.

I;ve noticed though that as a Holy Paladin tis much harder to heal then a Resto Druid and you really have to push your self to the limit and OOm quite alot more then other healers.

Also you will need friendly with Klaxxi for the Amber food which is a must for healers in CMs ...> http://www.wowhead.com/item=89230/restorative-amber

Grouping
    If you are going to be pugging it then you better get started straight away but i would highly recommend a dedicated group with whom you can run daily with the same group because most pugs are extremely impatient and leave after 1-2wipes. That being said i have encountered good pugs also which after 2-3 wipes get gold runs.

You can use these to pug the fastest way:

>Open Raid Website
    >Oqueue Addon

Gearing
    For gearing the most quckest way i would recommend getting Lfr and flex gear as those contain alot more gems slots then the timeless gear ones. That being said timeless gear is important to get as its the fastest way to get inside Lfr and Flex. You can also buy 522 gear with valor points and 489 gear with justice points as item level doesn't really matter but gem slots do. However ToT Lfr and SoO LFr along with JP and valor gear should get you most stuff. You could also get a few 463item level gear from heroics or level90 Rep vendors

Other useful links:

Wowhead guide : http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1523/ch...d-useful-items
    Last edited by RAFFLES; 2014-09-01 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I'm that player that is always out of gold on every character :')
    So buying boosts is not an option, i'll have to do it by myself (which I also prefer ofcourse).

I guess i'll be rolling Prot then. Since I've no experience as holy, that will cost me some time to get used to it aswell.

Deleted
    In a group of friends, ret actually performs somewhat decently. Switch your talents between packs and you'll actually do fairly decent damage alongside your utility. In pugs though, like everyone said, nobody will take you.

Hey there,

I recently maxed my Prideful gear, and am looking for these transmogs/ challenge mode runs as well. 550 mm Hunt, PM and we can see if we can get a group going.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also be down for getting a team together, 550 mm hunt.

Deleted
    I've done all challenge mode dungeons in gold as prot and ret, and both are very viable.

With prot you want to gem pure haste to win survivability, but you also can gem pure STR if you are experienced with the spec to gain unitarget DPS (that it's pretty low gemming haste without cooldowns).

With ret you want to have low ICD trinkets (Lei Shen's Final Orders, Relic of Xuen with strenght or Zen Alchemist Stone) and a lot of slots in your gear to gem pure strenght. The only bad thing about ret is that it's a melee class. In some packs you can die with AoE (Mogu'shan Palace first pack, Stormstout Brewery last mobs, Jade Serpent first pack and boss), but even with that it's a strong class that also offers nice support with glyphed Hand of Sacrifice and Clemency (double HoSac), Hand of Protection and Devotion Aura.

Holy is also pretty good, for me the 2nd or 3rd best healer in CM after Disc Priest and probably Resto Druid. You have the same tools as ret, nice absorbs, and a interrupt. Gemming pure spirit seems the best build for challenge modes, but intellect it's also viable. Remember to use Restorative Amber when going out of combat.

But if I'm honest, if you have like 70k-90k gold (depends of your server), I won't risk wasting my time gearing my char and looking for a competent group, knowing the CMs will disappear soon. I would buy a boost to one of the groups of the trade channel. I did those type of boosts in my server, and the general profile of my clients were nice players who got tired of wasting their time trying to get the golds with awful groups.

Good luck.

70-90k gold lol, i'm really poor

Quote Originally Posted by Ninthelora View Post
    Hi guys,

Recently dinged 90 with my paladin. I want the challenge mode set very bad, since it's one of the best looking sets in game imo.
    I read that a prepatch to WOD will end the Challenge Mode, you can't obtain the items anymore by then.
    T2/T6 ?!?! T2 imo best set designed for all classes in all tiers.
    13/13

Monk

Yes good old T2 together with the challenge mode set are the 2 best sets. T2 I already got tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the 3 paladin specs are definitely viable if you've got knowledge of your class.

Holy just has to worry about trash pack healing and you can just pop klaxxi ambers after every few pulls or when you need mana/are close to being oom.
    Prot you'll definitely need to know how to do pulls and have a good idea of appropriate cool down usage.
    Ret don't stand in the fire, use your utility when it's called for, and dps.
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

I got this a few weeks ago, dpsed about half of them with a guild group, and healed pugs for the others. Ret has strong burst dps, good aoe, and glyphed blinding light is a big help, not to mention sacrifices and Lay on Hands should the tank be about to die. For healing, the group I went with said that they were the worst healers for cmodes, but even so, I didn't have too much trouble with them. During tough trash pulls, pop divine favor and holy avenger and put an eternal flame on everyone, and the tank will get a ton of healing.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    70-90k gold lol, i'm really poor
    You could also choose to spend your time in getting gold.
    Either way, trying to get a group together and farming for gold takes time.
    If you're not experienced with CM's at all, I'd recomment farming the gold for a quick boost.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    You could also choose to spend your time in getting gold.
    Either way, trying to get a group together and farming for gold takes time.
    If you're not experienced with CM's at all, I'd recomment farming the gold for a quick boost.
    Another option if you're pressed for time and need gold fast is to buy some tcg loot items for real money and then sell them to some rich player for a bunch of gold.

It's a 100% legitimate way to "buy" gold in game and even one of the less expensive mounts should see you getting more than enough gold for a CM boost.

Hmm interesting. Maybe I should farm gold, what is the quickest way nowadays? I didnt level my professions yet and all my main/alts are on another server.

And how do you guys make sure, your money doesnt get stolen when buying boosts? Pay prior to the boosts or if at the end when it's done? I assume nobody wants to boost, if they didn't receive gold prior to the boosts...

I can't recommend enough Openraid groups for CMs. Pugged gold on 10 different characters, grouped with guildmates for the other 3 (still slacking on my horde DK). Yes, sometimes you do get shitty groups, but most of the time it's fine. You could also check the chat there, almost all the time there is a group going - sometimes it's even a booster group that is lacking 1 person You could get 9/9 in a few days at most. OQ's CM groups I wouldn't touch with a stick even.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)

Ghostcrawler: Death knights are the only current Hero class, which means they are supposed to be the best class in the game.

Hmm interesting. Maybe I should farm gold, what is the quickest way nowadays? I didnt level my professions yet and all my main/alts are on another server.

And how do you guys make sure, your money doesnt get stolen when buying boosts? Pay prior to the boosts or if at the end when it's done? I assume nobody wants to boost, if they didn't receive gold prior to the boosts...
    Look for people from well-known (server-wide) guilds, not some random players. You can even ask guild officer if given person is reliable, and didn't join the guild 2 weeks ago cause he's a friend of friend.