[Movie/TV] Blizzard trying to pull a Marvel?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=122032

Interesting, we know about the Warcraft movie, could they be trying to serialize Diablo or Starcraft for TV?

Can it work? I think maybe Diablo as a HBO/Showtime series and Starcraft could do ok on SyFy.

Could we be seeing a full fledged cgi Warcraft series? The recent WoD cinematic was graphically amazing, this could be a good basis/style for a series.

Deleted
    I would love a Diablo TV show! I really like that universe and I bet there could be some insane battle scenes in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    I would love a Diablo TV show! I really like that universe and I bet there could be some insane battle scenes in it.
    Kills 10 monsters, meets a npc, kills 20 monsters, brings the item to npc, npc turns into a demon...like that?
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Would a Diablo series involve spending 20 minutes after every dungeon level seeing if anything dropped worth picking up?

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=122032

Interesting, we know about the Warcraft movie, could they be trying to serialize Diablo or Starcraft for TV?

Can it work? I think maybe Diablo as a HBO/Showtime series and Starcraft could do ok on SyFy.

Could we be seeing a full fledged cgi Warcraft series? The recent WoD cinematic was graphically amazing, this could be a good basis/style for a series.
    Because Marvel were the first amirite? lol
    But that CGI takes a ton of resources, and loads of time, it wouldn't be something they would make a whole series out of^^

Starcraft is the best series to translate into a movie honestly as the campaign in each game felt like its own movie. Plus sci-fi movies usually end up being better than dark fantasies not counting lotr.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a pretty smart move these days to follow Marvels lead and do something like this. It will give them much more control over their brands and titles vs. going through the studio system. They won't have a connected universe like Marvel, but it does mean we could see movies or tv series based on Diablo, Starcraft, or other Activison Blizzard titles. I think it will largely depend on how well the Warcraft movie does.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Because Marvel were the first amirite? lol
    But that CGI takes a ton of resources, and loads of time, it wouldn't be something they would make a whole series out of^^
    Marvel is the first I can recall of a company starting their own studio to make movies/tv series adapted from their works in order to avoid dealing with existing studios like Sony, Fox, and so on. There are studios like Lucasarts, but they were always a film studio. Time Warner has owned DC Comics for a long, long time but only recently created DC Entertainment in order to make better use of the DC brand for movies and TV, mostly as a result of Marvel Studios.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Kills 10 monsters, meets a npc, kills 20 monsters, brings the item to npc, npc turns into a demon...like that?
    Yea exactly!... nope

10+ Year Old Account
    I would kill for a Diablo TV series. You could easily base it on the books, which are fantastic btw. Highly suggest reading them.

Starcraft could work, but I don't think it has too much lore that hasn't been filled by in-game cinematics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its Activision Blizzard, nowhere does it say that Blizzard is doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    Its Activision Blizzard, nowhere does it say that Blizzard is doing anything.
    This is true. Although I do remember Blizzard looking for someone familiar with half-hour animated series structure either to hire or bring on as a consultant.

Thrall And Friends, Saturday morning adventure show!

Just imagine a cartoon version of the Warcraft adventure game that never came out.

You know you'd watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Thrall And Friends, Saturday morning adventure show!

Just imagine a cartoon version of the Warcraft adventure game that never came out.

You know you'd watch it.
    Thrall and friends would be amazing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    It would cost too much to produce though and I don't think they would get enough viewers to justify it. Diablo doesn't take place in the real world so they need special sets, insane amounts of CGI. So I'm guessing if they would actually want to do it, it would have to be an animated series and I wouldn't be watching it.

It would be hugely expensive if it all had to be CGI. Just look at the Game of Thrones budget, and that only uses CGI where it has to (dragon scenes, for example, only happen a couple of times per season).

It probably won't be CGI Cutscene Style, but Blizzard has (probably) the three strongest video-game universes/franchises, and since people are looking to make universes with tie-in TV series and stuff these days, it makes sense to give it a shot. Although I doubt anybody will commit in a big way before they see how the Warcraft movie is going to do.