Building new PC to run WoW and extras, need to know how much is "enough"

I'm looking to build a PC for my wife, and while money isn't a huge issue, she won't be using it for too much else other than WoW and I don't want to drop money on stuff I don't need.

I'd need:
    1. Dual monitors (I'm thinking ASUS VG248QE for WoW and ASUS VX228H for multitask, but not sure if the VG248QE would be hugely overkill. I don't mind splurging on that a bit).
    2. WoW on Ultra, with 60+fps in a 10 man raid. I'd like to spoil her a little bit with awesome graphics and smooth play.
    3. Enough "extra" power for the second monitor to handle simultaneously other stuff (Skype, research, MS Office apps, Netflix) without effecting WoW.

Suggestions on monitors welcome (especially because I'm unsure I need the speakers on the VX228H anyways), and comments on other peripherals unnecessary as we are pretty picky about what we like to game with. I just need advice on the system itself.

Deleted
    Is this US?

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.67 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: EVGA ACX CPU Cooler ($45.79 @ Mwave)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.00 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($56.50 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1012.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 12:59 EDT-0400

It could be done slightly cheaper but then you start skimping on quality and performance.

For the main monitor I recommend this IPS one:

Dell P2414H $220

If you need HDMI and want something a tad better then get this one instead:

Dell U2414H $260

Is this in the ballpark of what you were looking to or expected to spend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe slightly derailing,
    About that EVGA ACX cooler, @NoTarget, wouldn't the paint interfere with heat transfer?
    Also the contact surface is not polished in a single surface as in Evo 212, which I would recommend over the ACX.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Is this US?

Is this in the ballpark of what you were looking to or expected to spend?
    What I was looking at originally: pcpartpicker.com/p/pQLHqs

Sorry, yes in the US. Cheaper than I was originally looking at by about $250, though some of my components would be overkill (like 16gb RAM). I know I probably don't need the 2TB HHD, but it's not too much for the extra bit.

Thanks for the monitor suggestion.

Some questions about your build:
    1. Do I really need the 770W power supply? Seems excessive.
    2. In your opinion, is the bigger SSD worth it?

If you had the extra $250 as wiggle room, what would you keep from my build and what would you keep from yours? Is anything from my build worth keeping instead of what you recommended? I'm hoping to keep this PC for the next 4.5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Havocow View Post
    770W isn't necessary but neither is 650W. Both of the builds are unlikely to even break 500W but the reason why Notarget included a 770W PSU is because it's a good price, a decent brand, and it's semi-modular, which will help with cable management. Also, in my personal opinion, I'd go with the bigger SSD. When I built my first PC with an SSD, I thought 120GB would be enough but once I started installing games and software, I realized that it was just enough. If you don't intend to install a lot of games or other software on the SSD, then 120GB is fine. However, in my experience, 256GB+ is the way to go if you can afford it without sacrificing other parts.

If you had the extra $250 as wiggle room, what would you keep from my build and what would you keep from yours? Is anything from my build worth keeping instead of what you recommended? I'm hoping to keep this PC for the next 4.5 years.
    The biggest thing that I would get rid of from your build is the i7. You didn't mention anything besides gaming so I feel that getting an i7 would just be a waste for you. You gain practically nothing going from an i5 to an i7 but save almost $100. Also, you already mentioned that you know the 16GB RAM is overkill but that would be another thing I'd get rid of since 8GB is plenty and would save you $50. Other than those things, your build is pretty solid.

Deleted
    Okay lets see...

No you don't need a 700W + power supply but the deal is good at ~$60 (after rebate) and it being modular is a just a bonus. No real downside really. Edit: As Disconnected explained above.

It's not a must by any means but honestly the last $50 is well spent, you have much less micromanaging to worry about, performance is better though nothing that will have a major impact.

If you had the extra $250 as wiggle room...
    I would probably buy a nicer case, not that the 300R is bad by any means (you get a lot for your money). Something like this maybe:

Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window $100
    Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) with window $90

An update build, I'll comment below it:

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 113.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($83.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1228.07
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 14:44 EDT-0400

CPU/RAM/MB -The i7 and 16GB is not needed and will more than likely just be wasted money. The motherboard choice is just really good value for the price, I personally think the MSI one is a tad nicer than the Gigabyte board I originally had but $100 is good. I like Asus myself and if for whatever reason you prefer that then there is nothing wrong with the Asus Z97-A, you're just paying more for Asus specific brand, features, aesthetics.

PSU - Actually found a deal that's probably even better, since it's also $60 but gold rated and fully modular.

SSD - Already answered.

CPU HS - There is nothing wrong with the 212 EVO but I would personally get something a tad nicer and quieter, especially since you're not on an extremely tight budget. Also depend on how much you want to overclock and how much you care about silence. If you'd like something a little more high end the NZXT HAVIK 140 or even the Corsair H75 is a nice choice for ~$60.

GPU - I spend a little extra here because you mentioned the longevity (~4 years), you get a lot for your money with the 290, granted it could be considered overkill right now for WoW but if you ever switch to a higher resolution, play more GPU dependent games etc. then it'll be a good investment. If I were to pick an Nvidia GPU I would either wait for 8-series (September +) or get a GTX 780, the 770 with its 2GB vRAM just feels a little lackluster considering the offerings from AMD and new 8-series.

HDD - It's just more capacity liek you requested, not a big deal whichever it is.

Is there any reason to take the 2133mhz RAM over the 1600mhz? Also, I've never heard of Avexir (and am wary of buying RAM from unknown companies)... shouldn't I stick with something more well-known (thinking of Kingston / Corsair / Crucial)

Deleted
    Eh I wouldn't worry too much about the RAM brand but either way here are some decent options:

Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 This would probably be my choice, nice speed, price, low latency, nice reliable memory brand.
    Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
    G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 a few $ less but didn't really fit the black/red/dark theme of the rest, if you care at all.

1866 MHz is pretty much the sweet spot for Haswell right now

Last question, I swear...

Looking at the GeForce 660 instead of the 770, as it would save me $100 ($249 vs $349). For the tasks I've mentioned, is the 770 worth the extra $100?
    Last edited by Havocow; 2014-08-19 at 07:21 PM.

Deleted
    Ask all you want

I've already voiced my opinion on the GTX 770, AMD price/performance just offers a lot. For World of Warcraft specifically GTX 760 might be the best choice if it must be from Nvidia and you're looking to save some money, then maybe a couple years from now you can replace it with something better. Don't buy 660.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE $220

Deleted
    This is how I'd build a WoW core right now for 1080p:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($92.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $989.57
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-19 15:43 EDT-0400

You can knock another $30 off on the GPU by purchasing a lower-end R9-280, which offers slightly less performance than the GTX770 for a similar price, and the RAM is all that is likely to be needed for a while.

Thanks for all the help. Here's what I've decided on with your feedback:
    pcpartpicker.com/p/vGg4ZL

Aside from probably choosing a better case, the last decision is OS. I'm probably going with Win 8.1 unless someone has a better recommendation for me. Can anyone tell me the difference between this:
    pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-wn700615
    and this:
    pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-885370635690

10+ Year Old Account
    WN700615 = 64bit
    WM700695 = 64/32bit
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab