10+ Year Old Account

Question Main finally has top tier PvP gear: Questions about Rated BGs/Arenas/What-not

So today I hit a new milestone for myself: it is the first time ever that my main has had top-end PvP gear, and this is coming from a guy who really PvP's at all if ever really. But after my few weeks of dedication of getting myself this gear I actually really enjoy the adrenaline of doing battlegrounds and arenas! But I feel like I want to push myself more and challenge myself in taking part of this side of the game I really ever play. So my question is: how do I find people that want to achieve the same goal as me (i.e. getting Vicious Saddles/Transmog Gear/Gladiator Mount/etc.) and are serious about trying to attempt this? Feedback is very much appreciated and I hope to hear some interesting ideas soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly its a waste of time. Everyone just uses each other to get things that don't matter. I personally don't waste my time with such things.

The best thing I can tell you to do if you're actually looking to do this is to get into a guild that's fairly new. Old guilds will just treat you like shit, so you're better off moving into a newer guild and kissing the GM and officers asses. Take initiative, pretend to be friendly, ask for responsibilities are good ways to get "those people" to "respect" you.

Eventually, you'll become established and make "friends" if of course the guild actually survives and succeeds. When you have "friends" in this game, you can almost do anything you want which includes the things you want to achieve.

Otherwise, you can form your own guild. The only problem with that is that you have to actually be a leader and manipulate people. It's a trait that you either have or you don't have. Most people can't do this option because they're not genetically cut out for it. I don't know you, so I can't assume if you're cut out for it or not. All I can say is that if you think you have what it takes to lead, try it and see if you can do it.

Leading is 100x harder than being an officer, but the reward is 100x greater. You get to call everything and everything you want is yours and whoever you like the most. There is no in between with leadership, you either win and get people to listen to you, or you fail and you just waste time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ryan might be harsh and use a pretty rough tone, but in the grand scheme of things he's right. To get into the higher lvls of pvp you need friends that are as eager to get into it as you are or friends willing to help a new guy out. Finding those friends can be very rough sometimes. Arena/Rbg team hunting is like job hunting, if you have previous experience you are much more likely to get picked.

Start by taking the best suited friends you have and ask them for 2v2 or 3v3. If you don't have any, well time to make some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing with games like wow is that its completely gated by social constructs. The game itself is really not difficult when you compare it to other types of games on an individual level. This game is all about "fitting in" more than it is about skilled l33t gameplay.

As much as people on some areas of this forum like to complain about "solo friendly" this game has become, the reality is that you can only get so far in this game just playing alone or with randoms. If you don't have "friends" you know people you actually talk to in vent/skype/mumble/raidcall the best you can do is master the casual aspects of the game that grant you little to nothing. The real rewards of this game have always required commitment to other people.

Some people still don't understand that no one is going to come out and hand you things for free. Nobody is going to be like "mrcoolguy, I want you in my guild, mrcoolguy do you need help with getting mounts?" for free just because you exist. Nope. If you're not going to lead, you have to present yourself to others as best as possible for them to use you in the matter they see fit. Everyone is self serving, nobody is going to help others for free.

You have to literally take initiative to make friends on the internet or else you will be locked down to casual content.

@ mrcoolguyry

Don't listen to these haters.

I got my vicous saddle & elite transmog this season almost purely by using oqueue. Essentially, I played as well as I could (mainly RBGs, but I played a lot of 2v2 and 3v3 for fun) and networked with people, adding real IDs of good players I played with and marking the bad ones so I could avoid them later on. Eventually, people started inviting me all the time for RBGs and arena, and I got into what was at the time highest rated horde RBG guild in EU, and got to almost 2100 with them. It took a few months and about 150 played RBGs, but I enjoyed it. I imagine it would be easier now because the season is so long and rating are inflated.

So it's essentially same as PvE. Play with lots of different people, let them see and remember you as a good player, network with them, make friends, have fun. There's no reason to lick anyone's ass, if you're a good player, they will want you on their team.

As for getting gladiator, that I'm afraid is much more competitive. Arena is hard, especially if you're not playing a fotm class, so it requires lots and lots of practice. My suggestion to you is to see what comps are good for your class and to play a lot of them and slowly push ratings. If your top rating in 3s is 1550, try to push for 1750 this season. Then 2000. Then 2200. Make realistic goals. Almost nobody gets gladiator in their first season (at least not legitimately), and trying to reach for the stars will only frustrate you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree with your post Gigana but don't throw me on the hater boat with "these haters". That's pretty much all.

For some reason I kinda assumed Ryan would get banned some how.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Another thing that bears addressing is the entire "you need to have friends" thing.

In a way, it's true. Even if you're a good player, if you have no achievements to show, you are unlikely to get good teammates or be invited into a good guild. Even if you are in a guild, but your rating is bellow the rating of their main RBG group, they probably won't invite you to the team until you get your rating close to theirs.

This might seem harsh, but nobody was born high rated. Everyone started with no achievements and no experience. If you're a good player, and you keep playing, improving, and making friends, you will eventually get your achievements and will start playing with progressively better and better players. It just won't happen overnight, and it won't happen at all if you're impatient and expect a special treatment.

Think of it as a epic journey you're undertaking, a large mountain you're climbing. It's gonna seem huge and insurmountable if you look at it from the ground level, but as you climb it and learn it and meet other climbers along the way, you'll grow more and more confident, and when you finally do reach the top (or whatever other goal you set - for me it was the elite transmog), it'll make the reward seem all the more valuable because it was so hard to obtain.

TL/DR: Use oqueue. Keep practicing and networking. Be friendly. The "you need friends to get high ratings" thing is only problematic if you're asocial and expect things to be handed to you on a platter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wass View Post
    For some reason I kinda assumed Ryan would get banned some how.
    All of his posts were blatant trolling. I just hope the ban is permanent.
    Last edited by Gigana; 2014-08-21 at 05:50 PM.

Get oQ
    solidice.com/oqueue
    dont only get it and use it to find groups but make friends with the people you meet on there. Its a great way to network into pvp. I have at least 10 friends on my list that I constantly play with for all sorts of things. When you find someone share your battletag and set a note on that player maybe their class and what you guys do together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay. I'm glad that you've given me all of this feedback guys! I have oqueue already so I guess now I should try to queue up with some people!