What kind of trouble is she in?

So I went to court with my brother because he had to prove that he purchased new tags for his license plates and we overheard another case that made me curious.

An uninsured driver hit a car and cause that driver to hit another vehicle. The judge told her, the uninsured driver, that the issue couldn't be resolved until she contacted the other drivers and gave her another court date. I felt bad because she couldn't have be any older than me(20).

So what happens next? Does have to pay for both cars? Seemed like he life is pretty much ruined. I don't get why people don't suck it up and pay for the insurance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Depends on state usually she will more than likely lose her license for a while. Her life will not be ruined most people have uninsured driver on their insurance so it will cost the people she hit more on their insurance and she will get some fine of some sort. The reason it depends on the state is no fault states your insurance pays for your damages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, she is in a lot of trouble. No jail time though. She will reach be responsible for the repairs of all the vehicles and medical bills, almost certainly suspended license for 6+ months. Insurance will now cost an absolute fortune as well, which means they will probably not have it again if they couldn't afford it to begin with.

Life ruined? Nah, but it'll suck for a while, they may want to invest in a bus pass.

Life ruined lol? If she hit a car fast enough that it hit another car and caused significant enough damage then she deserves her punishment.

She's just going to have to pay those people back. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by megrim View Post
    Yeah, she is in a lot of trouble. No jail time though. She will reach be responsible for the repairs of all the vehicles and medical bills, almost certainly suspended license for 6+ months. Insurance will now cost an absolute fortune as well, which means they will probably not have it again if they couldn't afford it to begin with.

Life ruined? Nah, but it'll suck for a while, they may want to invest in a bus pass.

The insurance companies will pay for the damages. However they will file claims against here but unless the costs are very significant they will not take her to court. These can be discharged by bankruptcy

I have been hit by uninsured drivers, each time I got nothing since I did not have uninsured motorist.
    She can be sued in court over the damages, but they might have a real hard time collecting and unless it was major damage its not worth looking into.

When I got hit by an illegal immigrant the police talked to him then told me there was nothing they could do and even let him drive away afterwards.

This is one of those cases where the good guys and the innocents just have to eat it. Shes young and probably can't afford insurance...Let's sue her for money she doesn't have!
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

People who do have insurance have an "uninsured motorist" clause in their policy for these circumstances. How you could feel bad for the girl is beyond me, she ruined peoples cars. She must have been cute.