Thread: Computer woes

Computer woes

I am running windows 7 on a 60 gig SSD and most everything else is on a 1TB HDD. My dad is awesome when it comes to computers and knows how setting all of this up works. I on the other hand do not :P But last year my dad had a stroke and since then he has lost a lot of his ability to help me out with computer type problems.

My SSD used to have like 10 gigs of free space and now its completely full. I don't know what is going onto the SSD as everything should be and used to go to the HDD. Is there anyway to see what new things are being put onto my SSD? Also I have been getting some performance issues that should not be there. Like while playing wow Ill drop down to 20-24ish FPS when I should be at a solid 60 with vsync. idk I feel like maybe just reformatting everything and starting fresh is the way to go but then again i have no clue haha.

So what would you guys recomend I do? Just let me know if you need more info and ill provide it.

CPU-i7 2600k @3.40 GHz
    GPU- GTX 570
    RAM- 8 gigs Corsair Vengence
    Mobo- P8Z68-V PRO

10+ Year Old Account
    :< Sad, I'm so sorry to hear that.

https://windirstat.info/

Download that program, it gives you a visual display of what's on your solid state. You should be able to SEE big things. Click through and delete things that you don't need. (Don't delete important things.)

Reformatting probably wouldn't hurt though.

Go to system restore and see how much space is being taken up by restore points.

Edit: Control Panel > System > System Protection. If it's turned On, you can select it and click Configure, it'll show the current and max usage, I think 5% is the default, that's what mine's is, anyway.

If it's not that, it could be copies of windows updates that were installed, in which case, you can right click the drive and go to properties, then click disk cleanup, Windows Update Cleanup should be one of the things on the list. Here's a step by step with some visuals if you need it http://www.cnet.com/how-to/delete-wi...d-drive-space/
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-20 at 04:35 AM.

Thanks guys I downloaded windirstat and found a 7 gig notepad file from an old program I uninstalled. So that solved my SSD space problem, also ran a disk clean up on it. My system protection thing was set to on but it was also set to use 0 bytes of space so that wasn't a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ugotganked View Post
    Thanks guys I downloaded windirstat and found a 7 gig notepad file from an old program I uninstalled. So that solved my SSD space problem, also ran a disk clean up on it. My system protection thing was set to on but it was also set to use 0 bytes of space so that wasn't a problem.
    7 gig notepad file? Oh god. Anyway, good job getting to the bottom of it.

Look into a program called CCleaner by Piriform if you want to keep your discs clean regularly.