Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

To WoD Beta, or to not...That is the question

Hii everyone,

Finally got the email saying I was invited to WoD Beta and trust me I was excited and then soon the exitement faded away because I started having mixed feelings. I've been waiting to join the beta forever, but now that I got invited I am having second thoughts.

I've never been in a WoW beta, I am in the testing for heroes of the storm but never a WoW beta. The reason I'm having second thoughts its because I'm worried joining the beta will take away from my experience when the game officially launches.

Anyone have similar thoughts at first? Any advice or comments?

i got invited about 2 months ago. Been seeing all the new stuff. Wod is going to be amazing !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alannya View Post
    Hii everyone,

Finally got the email saying I was invited to WoD Beta and trust me I was excited and then soon the exitement faded away because I started having mixed feelings. I've been waiting to join the beta forever, but now that I got invited I am having second thoughts.

I've never been in a WoW beta, I am in the testing for heroes of the storm but never a WoW beta. The reason I'm having second thoughts its because I'm worried joining the beta will take away from my experience when the game officially launches.

I personally don't really want to do the beta seeing as I don't want to spoil the content, and play an unfinished/inferior version of WoD.
    The only reason I've done betas in the past is to learn the quests for realm first leveling, since that's no longer a thing, id rather refrain and have it all fresh and discover everything.

That being said, I currently do not have the beta and might give in if I got it due to how bored i am on WoW

15+ Year Old Account
    If you care about that "new car smell" experience in the game when it goes live, don't do beta.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Regarding leveling, since the questlines now split into two choices (through the outposts' choice), I'm choosing the buildings that I won't choose on live.

It will take the excitement you'd have on launch. There is no debate over this. Plus you'll have to redo everything you did in beta.
    I did all content available on Cataclysm beta, and it killed my fun.
    For MoP beta, I only did the first zone (not even finished it). Went through all class changes, and I was done. Much Much more better when live came.
    For WoD, I'll do what I did with MoP. First zone (even less), checking class changes, try new builds to see what's new, new models, but that will be it.

6.0 will be out about a month before release, so in two months from now. You'll get a fresh taste of what's to come.

My advice : try out WoD without doing Tanaan intro (make a premade choosing the "Frostfire/SMV beginning) and try out stuff in the first zone. But don't go too far on playing into the game. If you have second thoughts now, it's because you know it'll likely take away the fun of playing it - again - once the game launches.
    Forum discussions are almost completely worthless to developers. It is a bunch of uninformed idiotic users screaming their untested crappy ass ideas over everyone else. Real data comes from studying what people do in game, how they react to changes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a double edge sword, happen to me with the Wrath expansion. i played it started to get burned out from it and stopped playing and waited for Live.

I have been after the Beta, since i got burned out of SoO and I am up late most nights with my newborn. Starting to get burned-out from Hearthstone some. I have no luck from watching streams to win a key either lol.

I don't want to be in the beta, personally. Spoils the excitement of all the new content and quests at release. 6.0 will likely hit in a month or two anyway, when the changes are finished.

You don't need to ruin the leveling experience to get to grips with the new content and designs. There is a Level 100 PvP realm, Level 100 PvE realm, and 2 x Leveling Realms (I believe that's the right order).

Just go straight to the level 100 realm, and enjoy playing with the class changes in the Dummies in Shattrath!

Deleted
    I've been in Cata and MoP betas but I never touched the leveling content in beta so I just tested the new races, explored a bit and tried playing with the premade characters. I believe the leveling progress will mostly ruin the launch excitement so try avoid that.

This is why I'm playing as the opposite faction on beta.

Play opposite faction as been said, that's what I did when I got Cata beta

Quote Originally Posted by Alannya View Post
    Hii everyone,

I wouldn't personally. I'd want the game to stay as fresh as possible. If you play now you'd be able to play for 3 months before the game actually starts. You don't wanna be bored 3 months in advance of everyone else. =p

10+ Year Old Account
    Got into beta 3 days ago and here's what i'm doing

1. since i'm a horde player i rolled an ally
    2. Playing on instant 100 servers so i don't do any quests
    3. Learning the garrisons as i wanna be prepared when it hits live
    4. Testing new / changed talents and abilities and reporting bugs
    5. Testing new character modelzzzzzz
    6. Might test some raid encounters but nothing more

So far my experience in the Beta was short, i did not want to spoil the story line. I tried it to see the new models in action and take a look around Ashran. I avoid reading too much about WoD besides class changes. I tested Shamans a little bit at level 100 to check the new spells and how pvp felt. But lore wise, i'm not doing anything just to keep the freshness of day 1.
    I7-3770k - 16GB DDR 1600Mhz - 120GB SSD - 2TB HDD - SLI GTX 980 4GB - Corsair RM850 - Samsung U28D590D 4K Monitor-

Only thing i would join beta for would be too play as/see the new models, and i doubt all models are on there yet ( main is troll so most excited for troll male)

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Regarding leveling, since the questlines now split into two choices (through the outposts' choice), I'm choosing the buildings that I won't choose on live.
    That's pretty silly, because there are pretty clear cut choices as to what are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavv View Post
    That's pretty silly, because there are pretty clear cut choices as to what are better.
    How can there be an objectively "better" choice in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Only thing i would join beta for would be too play as/see the new models, and i doubt all models are on there yet ( main is troll so most excited for troll male)
    I stand corrected by mmo-C front page :O gief beta now so i can play mah troll

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    How can there be an objectively "better" choice in this case?
    Doubt he's gonna awnser you, people who say such things and no explaining why are probably just trolling

If you wanted access to beta because you wanted to see the new content, but now you are worried that the "first day/first week excitement" will be compromised for you, then don't play on beta.

If you wanted access to beta because you actually enjoy the testing process, that's different. I like doing betas, but (and sorry if I fumble here, but it's hard to explain) I play beta through a different "lens". I assess everything. I look for bugs. I look for typos. I look for things that seem out of place or imbalanced. I analyze travel paths and quest lines. I frequently stop in the middle of what I'm doing to submit a bug report or feedback ticket. So, it's an entirely different experience from when I play the game to relax with friends, prepare for raiding, etc.

For whatever reason (maybe I'm a little psycho, lol), I can switch off my beta "lens" once the game goes live and be really excited to be "just a player" again.

If you feel like you can do that, and beta testing interests you, then go for it. I think many beta players are basically just there as tourists (want to see new content/want to see new models/want to look at new abilities), and those are the folks who may burn out if they do more than just take a peek.