Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bad movies or higher standards?

<< Disclaimer, I'm not, nor do I pretend to be a film-god or whatever I'm merely curious as to what other people think of my statement. >>

Hey there,

A few years back I got this feeling and it still hasn't changed much. I feel that recent movies generally are worse than movies made before let's say 2010.
    Is it just my standards for movies that have changed? Maybe because of the Fast growing TV-Show / Series -hype there's just less interest in good movies. I really wonder what other people think.

Yesterday I was watching Johnny Depp's "Transcendence" with Morgan Freeman etc. I was kinda disgusted by the way the movie tried to be a very smart film but turned out to be another "oh let's use the words Coding en Cryptology and make it look geekie as much as possible by showing a lot of lines of sourcecode AND OMG DON'T FORGET BEEPS, THERE MUST BE BEEPS.. AND ZINGS" - flop.

I'm from 1982 myself and I started loving the classics like Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, Fight Club, Memento, Donnie Darko, Rounders, The Score etc etc. I was used to just IMDB'ing my favorite actors / directors and go see the list where they played in and voila - Movie time!! I really feel you can't really do that anymore.

Admittedly there were some good movies made after 2010. Obviously I have to say Entouchables was a gem, Elysium I liked, The Hunger Games, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, The Hobbit and last but certainly not least Boyhood.
    But that's it probably..

How do you feel about recent movies? Is it our high standards? Is it the lack of general interest in movies? Or am I just plain wrong?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PewpewNL View Post

<< Disclaimer, I'm not, nor do I pretend to be a film-god or whatever I'm merely curious as to what other people think of my statement. >>

Hey there,

A few years back I got this feeling and it still hasn't changed much. I feel that recent movies generally are worse than movies made before let's say 2010.
    Is it just my standards for movies that have changed? Maybe because of the Fast growing TV-Show / Series -hype there's just less interest in good movies. I really wonder what other people think.

Yesterday I was watching Johnny Depp's "Transcendence" with Morgan Freeman etc. I was kinda disgusted by the way the movie tried to be a very smart film but turned out to be another "oh let's use the words Coding en Cryptology and make it look geekie as much as possible by showing a lot of lines of sourcecode AND OMG DON'T FORGET BEEPS, THERE MUST BE BEEPS.. AND ZINGS" - flop.

I'm from 1982 myself and I started loving the classics like Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, Fight Club, Memento, Donnie Darko, Rounders, The Score etc etc. I was used to just IMDB'ing my favorite actors / directors and go see the list where they played in and voila - Movie time!! I really feel you can't really do that anymore.

Admittedly there were some good movies made after 2010. Obviously I have to say Entouchables was a gem, Elysium I liked, The Hunger Games, Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, The Hobbit and last but certainly not least Boyhood.
    But that's it probably..

How do you feel about recent movies? Is it our high standards? Is it the lack of general interest in movies? Or am I just plain wrong?

I think it's a twofold issue, one is like, people from a certain time enjoy particular styles of movies more than others. Another is just a personal taste thing. Personally I found the hobbit horrific and virtually unwatchable. I don't think it's "high standards" or "bad movies" though there are a bunch of awful movies from whatever time period you pick, just that people's tastes are different.

It's easy to look back and remember the best movies because they are the ones that tend to stick in your mind, while the bad ones you tend to forget after a while.

How can you like Elysium? Very interesting plot made into a bad action movie. It's a piece of shit if you ask me.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    As you age everything becomes shit. Nothing is as good as it used to be. It is a normal part of growing older.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    It's easy to look back and remember the best movies because they are the ones that tend to stick in your mind, while the bad ones you tend to forget after a while.
    This is where I tend to disagree, I really feel that especially between 1990-2000 most of the best movies were made. Good movies are still being made, I just feel it happens less frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightspear View Post
    How can you like Elysium? Very interesting plot made into a bad action movie. It's a piece of shit if you ask me.
    It's really not my intention to exchange opinions about 1 movie mate, you're missing the point I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    As you age everything becomes shit. Nothing is as good as it used to be. It is a normal part of growing older.
    Haha good point, although I don't think it's entirely true. Movies can still Amaze me.
    Last edited by PewpewNL; 2014-08-20 at 01:36 PM.

Deleted
    You are just plain wrong.

There is and always will be bad movies, the only difference is as time passes by you forget those bad movies and only remember the good movies of that year making you think there were better movies back then. Take a look at http://www.imdb.com/chart/top, you'll notice movies from all years including up to 2014.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PewpewNL View Post
    This is where I tend to disagree, I really feel that especially between 1990-2000 most of the best movies were made. Good movies are still being made, I just feel it happens less frequently.
    Well, that's always going to be a difficult position to discuss, because... In the end it's just like saying "I feel red is the best colour" because it's not really wrong, since "what the best movies are" is subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    You are just plain wrong.
    Care to eleborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lohkay View Post
    There is and always will be bad movies, the only difference is as time passes by you forget those bad movies and only remember the good movies of that year making you think there were better movies back then. Take a look at http://www.imdb.com/chart/top, you'll notice movies from all years including up to 2014.
    12 Movies between 2010 and 2014 are on that list, that's not a lot right?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that's always going to be a difficult position to discuss, because... In the end it's just like saying "I feel red is the best colour" because it's not really wrong, since "what the best movies are" is subjective.
    True. That's why I ask for peoples personal opinions, if they share the same feeling, I'm not looking for the ultimate divine answer hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohkay View Post
    From the same source:
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/

Anyhow...
    Bad movies/higher standards..
    It has a lot to do with what kind and how much business stands behind a movie.
    There are heaps of GREAT movies, and they are nowhere near any mainstream rankings, for the sheer reason that they aren't backed by mighty entertainment corporations. The independent movie genre is loaded with awesome flicks that are gems yet lack great exposure.
    It's safe to say, that mainstream pretty much means everything backed by the US industry/Hollywood.
    But aside from that, there are so many awesome movies made in France, UK, Germany, Italy, you name it. Many of them aren't even subtitled, which limits their audience right of the bat.

What makes a truly great movie?
    Foremost three things:
    1. Photography... After all a movie consists of pictures taken in a row.
    2. Acting.... Acting is an art, a craft... One can learn it, and can excel at it. Few ever do..
    3. Story telling... Much like there are great books, and bad books, there are great screenplays and bad ones.

The combination of all 3 together make a truly great movie.
    When I mentioned the European countries above, they put a lot more emphasis on the points 1 and 2. The acting is almost always of theater quality. Theater quality is regarded as the highest form of acting. Because it is the most difficult task to master. When you make a movie, you can repeat a scene over and over again, until it's done right. When you do a play at a theater you have exactly ONE try to get it right.
    The picture quality is usually too a lot heavier learning towards great photography. That's not always a plus, especially not when it's overdone and becomes just too artsy.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I've thought that movies have gotten steadily worse since around 2010. It's like every movie now has some cliched written character that makes me roll my eyes.

Even movies with good reviews seem overrated to me. The last movies I think I truly enjoyed were movies like Moon, Inception, Source Code, The Man from Earth, Sunshine, first Planet of the Apes which are all from around the same time period.

I wanted to like Gravity but George Clooney was so annoying in that movie. I guess I like the Hobbit movies but a lot of that might just be the setting of Middle Earth and Hunger Games was decent.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2014-08-20 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    I've thought that movies have gotten steadily worse since around 2010. It's like every movie now has some cliched written character that makes me roll my eyes.

Even movies with good reviews seem overrated to me. The last movies I think I truly enjoyed were movies like Moon, Inception, Source Code, The Man from Earth, Sunshine, first Planet of the Apes which are all from around the same time period. I wanted to like Gravity but George Clooney was so annoying in that movie.
    First Planet of the Apes is from 1968

Deleted
    Frozen, you guys.

Frozen.

Frozen, you guys.

Frozen.
    Sucked.

10c

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Sucked.

10c
    It was amazing. Best animated kids movie of all time, with the exception of Brave which was so fucking baller that I don't even have the words.

Frozen, you guys.

Frozen.
    I don't get Frozen at all. Maybe it's just the annoying songs.

Toy Story 3 is in another stratosphere compared to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    I don't get Frozen at all. Toy Story 3 is in another stratosphere compared to it.
    Toy story doesn't really do much for me, wasn't even a great fan of the first one. Like what's even the point of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the recent Les Mis movie is... incredible. One of the best movies I've ever seen, I think.

Just don't exspect to be WOW'ed everytime you see a movie? When I watched The dark Knight back inn my towns epic cinema, I was like...holy fucking gut, I would have payed 2 or 3 times the ticket price etc...All thoes toughs.

Yesterday I watched a Jason stantham movie...Was fun, something to relax to and enjoy...I don't think about it the next day, but inn that moment...lying on my couch enjoying life...that was fine.

I do agree that modern movies can be hard to enjoy, but renember...20-30 years movie catalogue to choose from.

Edit: What I just wanted to try to say is...Have low exspectations I guess. And try to find acteress you seem to always enjoy...I personally like the many classic Action movies...So anything from Steven segal to Arnold.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2014-08-20 at 02:10 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I recently realized that too much digital effects may be a bad thing. I lose touch with characters that aren't real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Just don't exspect to be WOW'ed everytime you see a movie? When I watched The dark Knight back inn my towns epic cinema, I was like...holy fucking gut, I would have payed 2 or 3 times the ticket price etc...All thoes toughs.

Yesterday I watched a Jason stantham movie...Was fun, something to relax to and enjoy...I don't think about it the next day, but inn that moment...lying on my couch enjoying life...that was fine.

I do agree that modern movies can be hard to enjoy, but renember...20-30 years movie catalogue to choose from.
    What do you mean by 20 - 30 yrs catalog?