Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Exactly. To me that is parallel to less effort. They ARE proven quantities so who wants to put in more effort to make an original piece that could potentially flop?

NOTE I am heavily abstracting the movie making process. I'm not saying those movies are literally easier to make...just that they are easier to decide to make.
    You mean like if you make a new Starwars movie, Pirates of the Caribbean etc? Where you have a guaranteed audience no matter what?
    And you could even say that they are easier to be made. There can't be much that goes wrong.
    Worst case would be that the movie flops so bad, that even the hardcore fans are blown off, and then the franchise is ruined for some time.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Rocky (the first one) was good. Not great, but good.
    Funnily enough that is usually the only one people mention, and I will agree it was a decent, slightly above average movie

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Funnily enough that is usually the only one people mention
    Because we can't forget the existence of pretty much all the others fast enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately they are kind of right...depending on how you gauge success...the main method being tickets sold. The big name actors fill seats. Fill the cast with great actors no has heard of in the perfect roles and people will be hesitant...cast Tom fucking Hanks as a human paladin and BAM instant hit!
    That is, like you said unfortunately true.
    Yet, there's still the chance for the movie to succeed without mainstream superstar actors.. See LotR trilogy.
    With the exception of 2 truly new actors all others had an impressive portfolio. They just weren't in the face of the people like the "rock star" status actors.
    In the aftermath. I am happy that we had Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn and not Brad Pitt. Just to name one example now.
    The latter would have clearly drawn a lot more guaranteed audience at first.

NOTE I am heavily abstracting the movie making process. I'm not saying those movies are literally easier to make...just that they are easier to decide to make.
    That's completely true but also completely understandable. The business is essentially loaning out money (or borrowing it) to try to make more money. It's just like checking someone's credit report and business concept before you give out a business loan. Once and a while some untested person comes to you with something that you KNOW is gonna sell, but most of the time it's safer to deal with tested people and tested concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispersedshadow View Post
    That's completely true but also completely understandable. The business is essentially loaning out money (or borrowing it) to try to make more money. It's just like checking someone's credit report and business concept before you give out a business loan. Once and a while some untested person comes to you with something that you KNOW is gonna sell, but most of the time it's safer to deal with tested people and tested concepts.
    Oh I agree totally. I don't begrudge them for doing it that way at all...to me, it just makes for some boring movies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That is, like you said unfortunately true.
    Yet, there's still the chance for the movie to succeed without mainstream superstar actors.. See LotR trilogy.
    With the exception of 2 truly new actors all others had an impressive portfolio. They just weren't in the face of the people like the "rock star" status actors.
    In the aftermath. I am happy that we had Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn and not Brad Pitt. Just to name one example now.
    The latter would have clearly drawn a lot more guaranteed audience at first.
    Or game of thrones. Granted not a movie, but for the most part in US I think most of those people are fairly no named? But that damn show is a super star!

NOTE I could be WAY wrong...i'm not up to date on my celebs and who is and who is not popular. I just know I've never heard of most of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You mean like if you make a new Starwars movie, Pirates of the Caribbean etc? Where you have a guaranteed audience no matter what?
    And you could even say that they are easier to be made. There can't be much that goes wrong.
    Worst case would be that the movie flops so bad, that even the hardcore fans are blown off, and then the franchise is ruined for some time.
    Exactly. You already have a known audience that is going to see your movie. Even if you DO make a shitty movie, tons of people are still going to see it because of brand loyalty.

How many of us saw Episode III knowing how crappy the first two prequals were? Most of us I would imagine. We knew the first two were shit, and we knew the third would be shit, but god damn we just HAD to see that little prick become Darth Vader.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Is Transcendence a cross between the Lawnnmower Man and Serial Experiments Lain? And the Prestige is way better than the Butterfly Effect.

One thing I don't understand is why do people hate Micheal Bay films? I think that people are going into movies with too high expectations. I did not go to Transformers or Godzilla expecting to see The Lion in Winter, I enjoyed the movies for what they were and thought they were good.

Or game of thrones. Granted not a movie, but for the most part in US I think most of those people are fairly no named? But that damn show is a super star!

NOTE I could be WAY wrong...i'm not up to date on my celebs and who is and who is not popular. I just know I've never heard of most of them.
    We all should have known Sean Bean and Lena Headley, to a lesser extent Peter Dinklage. From there, Charles Dance. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that I really knew, outside of those 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    We all should have known Sean Bean and Lena Headley, to a lesser extent Peter Dinklage. From there, Charles Dance. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that I really knew, outside of those 4.
    I felt my heart racing, and knew someone must have mentioned Lena Headey somewhere in the world. ♥♥♥

Sean Bean is about it for me. Lena I MAYBE could have recognized from something else, but i didn't really think she was as big in the western hemisphere as in the eastern.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I felt my heart racing, and knew someone must have mentioned Lena Headey somewhere in the world. ♥♥♥
    We have her or Evi Lilly playing the "Ripley" role in an Aliens recast we like to discuss while drinking.

- - - Updated - - -

i didn't really think she was as big in the western hemisphere as in the eastern.
    For me she was, for sure. 300, Sarah Connor Chronicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

I think currently movies are in a slump. Too many superhero movies that I really do not care about. All action movies have been made so over the top ala Michael Bay that it is simply no longer impressive. Nothing with a bit of style or something except for bigger explosions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Good thrillers or anything with a good story is all gone to series it seems because why make 1,2,3 movies when you can milk it as a series? But even something like a Memento or snatch or something. A simple story but with a good "hook" or whatever you call it, is there anything like that recently?

10+ Year Old Account
    Charles Dance, and Sean Bean and with limitation Aidan Gillen are only ones with great recognition before GoT.
    A later addition is Natalie Dormer.. She played a killer role as Anne Boleyn for 21 episodes in The Tudors, also an HBO series.

- - - Updated - - -

Sean Bean is about it for me. Lena I MAYBE could have recognized from something else, but i didn't really think she was as big in the western hemisphere as in the eastern.
    Lady Stark (Michelle Fairley).. aka Mrs Granger, Hermione's mother in Harry Potter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's just like music...people say, "Oh, music today sucks so much, everything was good back in the day." but they forget that all you hear from previous eras are the best songs. No one is playing "Worst Songs of the 80s" on their radio/playlist/whatever.
    Well the thing with music is...
    Today's best songs (charts wise) are in the same category as the worst songs of the 70s/80s/90s... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Mayor Carcetti from The Wire!

I recognized him right away when I saw him in GoT but it took me a few episodes to remember from where, exactly.
    He's also in Dark knight rises if I'm not mistaken.

Personally I get annoyed when people spend more time trying to pick apart a film rather than just enjoying it for what it is. Everyone wants to be a critic.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Salt sinks, sugar floats. It takes time for shit art to sink to the bottom while good art float to the top. Also, television is where the money is at right now so that's where the talent is going, too. There are still dudes like P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson and Quentin Terantino who are still dedicated to bringing us true cinema, whether you like their movies or not.

Good/Bad ratio of movies have been in a constant since movies became a thing. Tho I do belive we have higher standards today.

I like newer movies more, mostly because of picture quality. I hate everything that has anything to do with 3D, I love real time action (as in avoid CGI if possible, example: explosions, car crashes, (Most recently... Masks (Hello Green Lantern*phuk*)) Tho I can dig CGI(and sometimes often do, (Hello Marvel!) Imo they usually have good GCI, I hate bad CGI (Hello The Hobbit!)).

Overall im more of a TV-series fan. Give me some good fucking drama and im sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Yeah, some of the more recent movies have been dealing with this issue...

Lucy, Her, Transcendence. I really liked Lucy also, though the premise was faulty, as I am sure has been said thousands of time already.
    If you liked Lucy. Limitless did it better.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    I feel like film industry is out of ideas.

Yep, most stuff really sucks ass. The entertainment industry and creative media in general are in a valley floor phase right now. It's gonna stay that way for a while. It has its reasons.