Recover addons from broken computer

My computer stopped working last year and I got a new one and now months later I'm interested in playing wow again and am wondering if there is a way
    to recover the addons i was using.

Keeping in mind the old computer no longer boots up.

I know Curse premium is an option but I didn't have the premium subscription with the old computer so I'm not sure if that would be a viable recovery option.

you could try hooking up your old hdd to your new pc if that wasn't the part that failed ...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You need to copy the "C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Interface" folder from your old Hard drive and copy to the same place on your new hard drive.

This is where WoW keeps all of the addons. Some of them are put there by WoW, the others are the ones you added yourself.

If you can't get access to the data on your old Hard Drive you'll have to reinstall them yourself via Curse client or manually.

The best way to do this (assuming the old hard drive works) is to get an external USB enclosure for it, that way once you get all the info off the old Hard Drive, you can format it and use as a backup drive, if you don't already have one. You can usually get one of these for $25 or so, pretty easy to set up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't bother. Just redownload them from curse. It's been a year and all those addons have been updated since then, so you'd have to update anyway.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I wouldn't bother. Just redownload them from curse. It's been a year and all those addons have been updated since then, so you'd have to update anyway.
    True for most people but if op is like me I spend hours meticulously setting up addons. Spending five minutes to throw the HDD into the new computer and see if it works could save literally 4hr+ of time spent doing something else To me its more about the settings than the actual addons themselves. If the HDD is dead I hope op didnt have custom lua edits ><
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    True for most people but if op is like me I spend hours meticulously setting up addons. Spending five minutes to throw the HDD into the new computer and see if it works could save literally 4hr+ of time spent doing something else To me its more about the settings than the actual addons themselves.
    It's still far better to download it all again. No matter how amazing your old U.I. was it's far easier and better to take a short while doing it again, making small improvements and adjustments based on new changes, then trying to get something that might no longer work running.

10+ Year Old Account
    Granted, if it were something like RP text, like I have, I would understand. Each of my characters has a 3-5 page paragraph.

But... I have all that text backed up outside of WoW, for specifically that purpose, so I don't have to recover the game to get them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Data recovery:

1) first you need to get the hard drive hooked up and powered up- easiest for a home owner is to just get it connected in your rig as a second drive, assuming you have extra power connections and sata cable.

2) might need to change Ownership of the data in your user profile to get to your install files. start/computer/ rightclick C drive or the file path you need into/properties/security/advanced/owner/edit/check- Replace owner and press ok for all windows. that should replace all the security rights and allow you to browse thru the drive.

as far as the opinion about redownloading all your addons.....you really should just do that. Its all gonna go thru a replacement phase again when draenor comes out anyways.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    It's still far better to download it all again. No matter how amazing your old U.I. was it's far easier and better to take a short while doing it again, making small improvements and adjustments based on new changes, then trying to get something that might no longer work running.
    To be more clear everything in the Interface\Addon folder in op's case should be redownloaded.

World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\ACCOUNTNAME\Server\CHARACTERNAME

Those files could be of use and no reason it shouldnt work. Major changes do happen where addon settings cant be ported to newer versions but its very rare.

If you think setting up droodfocus just they way I like it from scratch is easier than installing a HDD you're nuts :P
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Out of date addons are typically the main culprit with unexpected poor performance reported by the playerbase. That and some other oddities or driver problems. Going back to a year old + addons library, depending on how frequently they're updated or how complex they are, could have the OP running into performance trouble. If it were me, I would take the time to setup everything again. Personally I'd be excited for an opportunity to start fiddling again, but people are different