Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb Polls shows Valve is the Most Wanted Place to Work at - Followed by Blizzard

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather work for doublefine or bethesda... or blizzard. Those companies make the games I always look forward too the most. all those ppl just say vavle because they are half-life fanboys who think if they work there they can see hl3 before anyone else.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna work at customer service at valve... because you do jackshit.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    I'd rather work for doublefine or bethesda... or blizzard. Those companies make the games I always look forward too the most. all those ppl just say vavle because they are half-life fanboys who think if they work there they can see hl3 before anyone else.
    I wouldn't base it off the games they'd be making as much as simply how enjoyable the enviroment would be.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I wouldn't base it off the games they'd be making as much as simply how enjoyable the enviroment would be.
    Why wouldn't you base it on the games you would be making? thats the entire point of becoming a developer, to make the games you would want to play.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a buddy I used to raid with who worked for Blizzard, he absolutely fucking hated it, all I ever heard from him was how shitty they treated their employees. Now works at EA say's it was the best change he's ever made in his life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Followed By Activision-Blizzard

As big a fan I am of Valve and Blizzard, I would prefer employment with the guys on the lower end of the list. Double Fine, Bethesda or Naughty Dog. Not sure how I feel about Nintendo...

10+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't you base it on the games you would be making? thats the entire point of becoming a developer, to make the games you would want to play.
    I mean that the enviroment would be more important than the games themselves but both would be taken into consideration. Also, depending on the field of work the end product may not be indicative of which process was more enjoyable to work on. A system programmer might enjoy his work more on game A while prefering the finished product of game B.
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,

You also have to understand this: Even if you have a degree, been working in the industry for at least five years, and meet the universal minimum of having deved a AAA game before (which is almost impossible for newcomes, since the all the companies deving triple A games want only people who've worked on triple A games, thereby preventing all devs who haven't made one before the recessin from stepping up), that doesn't mean your getting hired. Even if you are the lucky one who get's hired over all the other several hundred applicants, that doesn't mean you get to pick the projects you want. If you want to make TES games and get hired by Bethesda, you don't get to choose; your boss chooses for you, and if you have a complaint about that, well... there's always several hundred other applicants for him to look through for someone who doesn't complain. Just pray you stick around long enough for your talent as a developer to be recgnoized before the next round of layoffs hits.

The fact that Naughty Dog is high on the list tells you just how many delusionl/blind children are wandering into colleges in a vain hope that they could dev massively overrated games and get rich off of it because Sony's quarterly report said that they sold a ton of boxes.

(Sorry for going a little off topic) And, as someone who's made games before: it's a very toxic environment filled with arrogant coworkers, bosses who don't understand the meaning of "No, we can't do that", naive newcomers fresh out of college, low-asslow-ass pay and a high rate of unemployment. While I'd love to work at Blizzaed or CDProjeckt, I just can't bring myself to apply. I'd rather accept that I left early for a job that I'm actually going to enjoy, work hard for a hard day's pay, and have an almost guarenteed chance ofstaying around long enough for pension that will support my retirement.

Now that my little rant is over, I can carry on my day with my mind at ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The fact that Naughty Dog is high on the list tells you just how many delusionl/blind children are wandering into colleges in a vain hope that they could dev massively overrated games and get rich off of it because Sony's quarterly report said that they sold a ton of boxes.
    Or that Naughty Dog is a cool place to work?

These are members of the IDGA, an association which you have to pay to join an which generally is populated by game devs who have been around for a while. Not your kid who just picked up Unity and wants to make a game or your bright eyed and bushy tailed college age kid looking to get a degree to work on games.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Nau...ws-E134488.htm

The Glass Door reviews back things up from what I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Or that Naughty Dog is a cool place to work?

These are members of the IDGA, an association which you have to pay to join an which generally is populated by game devs who have been around for a while. Not your kid who just picked up Unity and wants to make a game or your bright eyed and bushy tailed college age kid looking to get a degree to work on games.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Nau...ws-E134488.htm

The Glass Door reviews back things up from what I can see.
    Maybe I've just had really bad luck when it came to finding a developer to work at.

Or that is only the vocal audience's perspective? You can't see what's going on at all the developer's offices.

Maybe I've just had really bad luck when it came to finding a developer to work at.
    Quite possibly. Finding work sucks in general, though.

Or that is only the vocal audience's perspective? You can't see what's going on at all the developer's offices.
    Glass Door is pretty good in terms of the accuracy, since it's folks who work at the places reviewing it. It's not perfect, but it's one of the better tools for getting a glimpse into how people feel about the companies they work for.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't want to work at blizzard. I would prefet a smaller company that would let creative mind free. Bluzzard is extremely codified and develloper have little if any freedom. Realistically, metzen just can't ralk personally to all employee everyday.

Pretty sure I'd take a higher paycheck than make a game I'd want to play.

I don't know though. I think I'd rather have my name in big name household games that most non-gamers would recognize than I would saying I worked for a specific company. That sounds like the best perk.

Which do you think picks up more chicks?
    "I work for -Game Company- (ex. Blizzard or Valve)." or
    "I was one of the makers of -insert popular video game- (ex. Grand Theft Auto 5 or Call of Duty)."

I'm not saying you have to like the popular games, but it definitely ups your street cred. Which is the only thing that should matter beside $$money and job easiness/friendly environment.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2014-08-21 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Id rather work at a regular software development company than any video game studio as a programmer, AAA studios can be tough workplaces.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    I wanna work at customer service at valve... because you do jackshit.
    valve the company that takes 8 years to make half life 3 and not tell the world anything. i would love to get paid to do nothing.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Id rather work at a regular software development company than any video game studio as a programmer, AAA studios can be tough workplaces.
    Hell of a lot more job security, at least if you're not at a startup software development company or if you don't work for one of the big developers like Blizzard/Epic etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    valve the company that takes 8 years to make half life 3 and not tell the world anything. i would love to get paid to do nothing.
    Well customer service in steam is really really bad so either they are underpaid or they work on a tropical island while drinking margaritas and wear hawaiian clothing.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Well customer service in steam is really really bad so either they are underpaid or they work on a tropical island while drinking margaritas and wear hawaiian clothing.
    I'm glad that the rest of their service is so good that I've never had to contact them in 10 years of use then .
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,