Poll: Should humans be allowed to marry AI?

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    "Allowed"? You can't really stop them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's be honest, if your waifu was truly artificially intelligent, she wouldn't say yes.

She's only your waifu because drawings can't say no.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to make out with my Monroebot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Just saw this... kinda fits this topic pretty well... a new movie:

Kinda..similar to I robot story tho.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyfry View Post
    If it wants to marry you back, then sure. Thats my view.
    This, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    And i dont mean the Ai we have right now, but the Ai that is self-aware (wich we will probaly make one day when we find out how human brains work and then translate it to computers).
    From a moral stand point. It doesn't really matter.

But "marriage" isn't about two people being together in the eyes of the state. It's about taxes and property. Thats the big deal people tend to ignore. If a human can marry an AI, they can be claimed as a dependent. Which means they have to pay less money on taxes while "feeding" the AI that is listed as dependent on them.

On top of that, where does the line get drawn? Suddenly, I could have a family of 8 AI that are all dependent on me and instead of me paying the state, the state has to pay me even though I could make a very large income.

There's also the fact that AI can be sent out to work and collect more money. Now we are getting into Civil rights of computers and whether they deserve a wage or if they are slaves (but if they are sentient beings.... etc...)

So 1) Marriage in the eyes of the state is a no.

and 2) slippery slope after that.

But personally, it wouldn't matter to me morally.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    I just want to make out with my Monroebot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbtuck View Post
    Let's say you have a human brain and you want to transfer the data to a digital structure.
    Cybernetics (branch of robotics imitating nature) is one of the interesting ways around this.

One such proposal is nanomites, that slowly replace neurons over time:

Current cutting-edge nanorobots and their nanomotors can achieve molecular size. Yes, there are many issues to be solved, from ethical to engineering, but it doesn't have to be the Star Trek teleporters scenario and it doesn't have to be ascension (biochemical needs) of a man where he doesn't wish to be ascended (hunger).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Summoner View Post
    Cybernetics (branch of robotics imitating nature) is one of the interesting ways around this.

One such proposal is nanomites, that slowly replace neurons over time:

Current cutting-edge nanorobots and their nanomotors can achieve molecular size. Yes, there are many issues to be solved, from ethical to engineering, but it doesn't have to be the Star Trek teleporters scenario and it doesn't have to be ascension (biochemical needs) of a man where he doesn't wish to be ascended (hunger).
    The problem is limited memory in brains. Right now our brains work by deleting lots of memory and overwriting the old data.
    So every time you try to remember something:
    A) You cant remember
    B) You remember it, however you also change the original data. (you remember a person with glasses, but next time you see it , it has no glasses)

By this process human brains can live up too 800 years. However setting nanobots to do the same job would be super hard.

So yes...you need to make Ai brains forgetfull.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Why? Marriage is not so much about relationship as it is about taxes and legal matters. An AI has no body so in effect you get tax benefits for no reason.
    An AI may or may not be limited to a single body, but by the time we have AI, humans might not be either. Just because I have another computer, doesn't mean my software is compatible though. However, is there any substantial difference between a digitized human mind and a digital mind that was written from scratch? I don't think that there is. Someone wrote an AI. Someone gave birth to a baby. It may not be exactly the same process, but the concepts employed are the same (ie: start with something simple, a cell or some base code and expand it into something complex; a human or AI).

Marriage serves a number of purposes and it has legal and non-legal aspects, some of which may apply to an AI moreso than others. Marriage is promoted for the stability of society. Intermarrying between humans and AI could serve to stabilize relations between the two communities because you would have parties invested in such matters. Marrying an AI may give you rights to visit it at the repair shop, just as you would visit a biological spouse at the hospital and the reverse. Marriage serves to promote procreation and that doesn't change with an AI, the AI and the human can write a new AI, or depending on a technology, birth a human child (if the robot is capable of gestating or impregnation).

An AI "has no body" any more than a human mind "has no body". It has software and probably firmware and hardware, just as we have big fleshy meat-sacs.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    I don't care what others do as long as it doesn't affect me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would somebody want to marry AI in the first place? How hard is it to go out, find a woman, fall in love, and get married? People have been doing it for millions of years.

As far as the moral aspect of it goes, if somebody really thinks they need to marry a machine, then whatever, it's their life...I just don't understand how the world got to the point where there are people in it that feel as though their only chance of having a meaningful relationship is to program one for themselves...I'm just stunned by the entire concept. There's billions upon billions of potential mates, life-partners, companions, husbands, wives, etc., out there. I don't see how we've been reduced as a species to wanting to marry AI that can't possibly love you back or have any feelings other than what you force it to have. Have we really become so self-centered and lazy?

Selfish, I think I'll say no on this one. Theirs so many things wrong with this in my opinion, like this would screw up our economy as a whole causing more confusing for the next generation. It'll probably take away from true human interaction slowly but surely. No matter how life like the AI is their would be no type of challenge in life given to the human spouse being with the AI and it'll probably lack in some department on physical and emotional needs. Then looking at this from a moral stand point a lot of religious people wouldn't stand by a decision of man playing God. Then taking AI rites into account would be another issue, cause then we'll have to ask do they have the same equal rites as us? or are they lower than us and should be treated as a common house pet or animal period? I mean being married to an AI would probably take away so much out of life its self point blank.
    Last edited by Wrathmane; 2014-08-23 at 04:51 PM.