Intel Core i7-4930K Why so cheap?

So, I'm in the process of building my own computer. I've been looking at benchmarks and for the most part things seem about right..the lower the price, the worse the performance, except this little monster.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Being half the prices as the two it's sandwiched inbetween, this thing is #16. Nothing is close to its price until you drop down and see..yet another..intel core I7 (Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz)

Do these have some sort of downside? Do they not last? Have issues? Require something specific? Why are they so cheap compared to the competition?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you're misinterpretting information, effectively.

If you're looking at multithreaded applications (which you shouldn't be) it's rather a bargain. But you are comparing it to server CPU's in server environments.

Rather, you should note that when it comes to gaming, its more than twice the price of the equally good i5-4690K.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Note where it falls, and the bucket of cheaper CPU's that rank above it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

You're comparing desktop processors to server processors, the rest are processors used in workstations for people that use demanding applications. None of those are relevant to what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Because you're misinterpretting information, effectively.

If you're looking at multithreaded applications (which you shouldn't be) it's rather a bargain. But you are comparing it to server CPU's in server environments.

Rather, you should note that when it comes to gaming, its more than twice the price of the equally good i5-4690K.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Note where it falls, and the bucket of cheaper CPU's that rank above it.
    Thanks, I knew something had to be wrong.

Deleted
    You shouldn't be building your own computer having that little knowledge. Period.
    Buy an assembled computer from one of the big computer chains and make sure it has a "gaming" tag somewhere.

Warning: The entire purpose of this forum is to help people with their builds. Posting just to tell someone not to build is nonconstructive and will likely be infracted in the future.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-08-23 at 12:33 PM.

Xeon processors are built for workstation and server environments. They are often binned to increase their reliability and lower things such as heat. They are not designed for the HEDT environment that you are likely building your computer for. On top of that, the Xeon's tend to have more instruction sets, a larger registry, allow for multiple physical processors on a single board, and ECC memory compatibility. Which, again, likely isn't useful for you, but is nigh on irreplaceable for many data centers.

If $500 doesn't sound like all that much for a processor, you likely want to be looking at the i5-4690k or the i7-4790K as the processor you'd like. The first of which is regularly suggested in computers coming in at an over $800 budget. Most video games don't support over 4 cores and many, such as WoW, put greater stress on a 1 or 2 cores for the majority of the work load. There are games such as Battlefield 4 that are capable of using all cores+hyperthreading but understand that it's a rare case for this rather than just 2 or 3 being used. In multithreaded situations the 12 core 24 thread xeon is going to kick ass, but as soon as it's put into a gaming environment the 4690k is likely going to beat it once overclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    You shouldn't be building your own computer having that little knowledge. Period.
    Buy an assembled computer from one of the big computer chains and make sure it has a "gaming" tag somewhere.
    "You shouldn't try to educate yourself - you should stay ignorant forever and buy overpriced cheaply made machines".

I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taotaisei View Post
    Xeon processors are built for workstation and server environments. They are often binned to increase their reliability and lower things such as heat. They are not designed for the HEDT environment that you are likely building your computer for. On top of that, the Xeon's tend to have more instruction sets, a larger registry, allow for multiple physical processors on a single board, and ECC memory compatibility. Which, again, likely isn't useful for you, but is nigh on irreplaceable for many data centers.

If $500 doesn't sound like all that much for a processor, you likely want to be looking at the i5-4690k or the i7-4790K as the processor you'd like. The first of which is regularly suggested in computers coming in at an over $800 budget. Most video games don't support over 4 cores and many, such as WoW, put greater stress on a 1 or 2 cores for the majority of the work load. There are games such as Battlefield 4 that are capable of using all cores+hyperthreading but understand that it's a rare case for this rather than just 2 or 3 being used. In multithreaded situations the 12 core 24 thread xeon is going to kick ass, but as soon as it's put into a gaming environment the 4690k is likely going to beat it once overclocked.
    Wow, Thanks for the explanation. As you assumed, it's going to be used for relatively basic things. WoW and some video editing. Nothing too intensive.
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2014-08-21 at 05:17 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    you shouldn't feel special because you can plug cables in the correct slot, everyone can do that

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Building a computer is actually relatively easy. Picking out the correct parts that are best for you needs and budget while also troubleshooting any possible problems that may occur in the process are the more difficult parts. Both of which you can seek help on forums such as these.

The extremely helpful members of this subforum spend a lot of time helping new builders looking to build their first computer. They take their given information and help them to successfully build machines to fit their needs to the best of their budget. People who have ZERO experience in computer hardware are successful.

You strike me as someone who has no experience in this field and is probably too scared to venture into the experience. That or just think you're a professional because you can connect stuff together when manuals tell you exactly how to do it. It's like putting together a TV stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    It's like putting together a TV stand.
    Well I don't know about you, but furniture these days(especially the stuff you get in a box from places like Walmart) is a damn nightmare to put together. That simple TV stand will be in 20 different parts with a 10-page manual and 100 different little bits that hold it together. Took me longer to put my desk together than it did to swap all my components into a new case!
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Well I don't know about you, but furniture these days(especially the stuff you get in a box from places like Walmart) is a damn nightmare to put together. That simple TV stand will be in 20 different parts with a 10-page manual and 100 different little bits that hold it together. Took me longer to put my desk together than it did to swap all my components into a new case!
    Yea...probably depends on the brand and items you buy haha. Probably could've used a better example, but I was only really using it as a "read the manual and follow instructions" type example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Took me longer to put my desk together than it did to swap all my components into a new case!
    You need more furniture bulding practice than you do with pc parts! Who reads the manual these days right? lol