Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What's dorm life like?

So i'm forced to live in the dorms for my last remaining year of my undergrad and the only thing on my mind is doing what I got to to make my law school aspirations a possibility.

Only for a curvy chick to walk by and any focus I had on my task at the time is overtaken with my "i'll take two scoops with sprinkles" kneejerk thought and I forget what i'm doing.

Joking aside, i'm really going in blind. I've lived alone from when i turned 18 until now and I don't know what to expect with dorm life. I'm more of an introvert then anything and i'm not too fond of living in a dorm at a glance.

Does anyone have any insight?
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-08-21 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    So i'm forced to live in the dorms for my last remaining year of my undergrad and the only thing on my mind is doing what I got to to make my law school aspirations a possibility.

Only for a curvy chick to walk by and any focus I had on my task at the time is overtaken with my "i'll take two scoops with sprinkles" kneejerk thought and I forget what i'm doing.

On top of this, i'm really going in blind. I've lived alone from when i turned 18 until now and I don't know what to expect with dorm life.

Does anyone have any insight?
    One question. Is your dorm life coed or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    One question. Is your dorm life coed or not?
    Coed building. Gender floors.

It's honestly not that bad. It's just like living in an active and busy apartment complex with people of your own age and a roommate you may or may not get along with.

It can be a bit rough as an introvert though depending on the people around you and the person you end up with. But you'll quickly adjust and learn to find windows of private time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's honestly not that bad. It's just like living in an active and busy apartment complex with people of your own age and a roommate you may or may not get along with.

It can be a bit rough as an introvert though depending on the people around you and the person you end up with. But you'll quickly adjust and learn to find windows of private time.
    I'm quite older though. I'm 22 and am technically a transfer student from a JUCO.

The fact that they placed me in a dorm with a bunch of 18-21 year olds that will likely engage in tomfoolery baffles me. But i'll make it work if it means a chance at going for my dreams.

It depends on how social your roommate is, really. If roomie is a major extrovert, expect much more social stuff to occur, and don't plan on going to bed early. Much of how dorm life goes depends on how well you get along, and how much you align in your habits.

You may only have room for a mini-fridge, and I wouldn't trust food to the dorm kitchen fridges. Keep ramen around.

tomfoolery
    Don't lie about your age. I can see your walking stick.

Deleted
    Don't drop the soap.

Coed building. Gender floors.
    You have an opportunity you will never have again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Don't lie about your age. I can see your walking stick.
    lol

Most of my social enjoyment has come from these forums the last couple of years.

I may very well be fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    You have an opportunity you will never have again.
    Getting two scoops with sprinkles?

I'm quite older though. I'm 22 and am technically a transfer student from a JUCO.

The fact that they placed me in a dorm with a bunch of 18-21 year olds that will likely engage in tomfoolery baffles me. But i'll make it work if it means a chance at going for my dreams.
    22 compared to 18 is bullshit.

It can really vary. You can end up with a guy you can't stand and try to plan to stay away as often as possible. You can end up with someone who becomes your best friend. You can end up with someone who's a total extrovert and be subject to their constant socialness. Or you can end up with an introvert like yourself and have an easier time with boundaries and what not.

It's hard to give you any real advice due to how random it actually is and largely depends on who you get roomed with and how well you get along. You'll just have to take the first few weeks and feel it out, but you'll adjust quick.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

lol

Most of my social enjoyment has come from these forums the last couple of years.

I may very well be fucked.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting two scoops with sprinkles?
    My friend, do this for all of us.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're someone who needs to have privacy on your terms - dorm life will suck. If you can deal with distractions, cope with people's weird habits - it is fine. No matter what though there are going to be days you just absolutely hate because something someone does gets to you... that's life.

Like the other posters said: the external factors largely depend on your roommate.

Deleted
    Don't trust anyone, watch your back, keep your precious possessions secret and use common sense. It's not really anything you don't already know but yeah, make sure to avoid eating anything you haven't made yourself on the spot. Say goodbye to privacy as well.

In the end it comes down to your roomie and common sense just assume everyone's untrustworthy and certainly -don't- be rude about it. Hopefully, you'll get a nice bunch of people if not then you just have to be a bit cautious, it's nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2014-08-21 at 07:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a good roommate, terrible roommate = terrible time at college.

I was lucky and got a room to myself Junior and Senior year. I preferred it that way, nice to have some privacy. You might get lucky if you ask housing, worst they can do is say no.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AgeOldGnomette View Post
    Don't trust anyone, watch your back, keep your precious possessions secret and use common sense. It's not really anything you don't already know but yeah, make sure to avoid eating anything you haven't made yourself on the spot. Say goodbye to privacy as well.

In the end it comes down to your roomie and common sense just assume everyone's untrustworthy and certainly -don't- be rude about it.
    So dorms are like prison where i'm watching my ass?

How homey.

Quote Originally Posted by AgeOldGnomette View Post

In the end it comes down to your roomie and common sense just assume everyone's untrustworthy and certainly -don't- be rude about it.
    This is honestly the best actual advice that could be given. Your roommate will pretty much determine how well it all goes but make sure to keep your valuables locked up, hidden, or just not taken with you there. This is especially important if you have a socialite for a roommate as you'll likely get visitors pretty frequently.

How homey.
    Nothing wrong with being cautious.

Deleted

How homey.
    No it's not at all that rough but it makes life easier, I'm not saying you have to treat everyone like they're a fucking murderer definitely not we both know that won't end well just y'know you need to have a level of caution when you live with strangers.
    Last edited by mmoce9fe1e7ffd; 2014-08-21 at 07:26 AM.

My dorm experience: I thought I wasn't prepared to live by myself... until I moved into a dorm and discovered I was the most prepared out of any of them. I always have 3 dorm mates in my rooms. Coming in I thought living in a dorm would be a fun social experience but soon discovered the good roommates are the ones you barely know live there.

But there's always one roommate that is awful.. last group it was some guy who played his gameboy all day in the living room without a shirt on, used other people's dishes and didn't ever wash them (ever), piled the trash bags in the closet instead of taking it out, I could go on but you get the point.