Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    its RNG, its mostly down to draw, most high level players, even the devs, have acknowledged it.

Of course the 10-20% that is skill is what wins you enough games to rank up, or not.
    No it's not, yes the cards you get are RNG, WHAT you do with the cards you get is skill. There's a reason the same people are consistently ranking top16 legend.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    No it's not, yes the cards you get are RNG, WHAT you do with the cards you get is skill. There's a reason the same people are consistently ranking top16 legend.
    game is massively RNG. starting hand determines most games unless someone makes a mistake. Deal with it.

Legend or not and legend rank is mostly down to amount of games, if you are winning a majority of games you rank up, then its down to things like if you win vs close ranks as opposed to lose vs a lower rank determines rank changes, and such. Number of games is the biggest determining factor in legend rank, so only a few people play enough to get that high.

Sorry to burst your bubble there.

10+ Year Old Account
    its RNG, its mostly down to draw, most high level players, even the devs, have acknowledged it.

Of course the 10-20% that is skill is what wins you enough games to rank up, or not.
    If it's 80-90% RNG, what you do with the cards doesn't matter at all, because those 20% aren't going to win you a lot of games in the long run.

I can just tell you now, that if you Poly a 1/1, you've probably lost the match. Just because you were dumb and did that.

Yes, there is RNG involved. It's a card game, that's the point. But no, it's not that much. It's 30% AT MOST. A good player will 90% of the time beat a shit player, just because he can play better.

game is massively RNG. starting hand determines most games unless someone makes a mistake. Deal with it.

Legend or not and legend rank is mostly down to amount of games, if you are winning a majority of games you rank up, then its down to things like if you win vs close ranks as opposed to lose vs a lower rank determines rank changes, and such. Number of games is the biggest determining factor in legend rank, so only a few people play enough to get that high.

Sorry to burst your bubble there.
    I won't argue that it takes a lot of games to reach legend, but reaching legend and getting to the top 16 are 2 immensely different things. But by the looks of it, you spend more time complaining about RNG than trying to get better. Not sure why I even bother anymore. All the complaints in HS are the same, RNG, P2W, luck, I drafted a terrible arena deck 520 times in a row, etc,etc.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Eh, I try not to think about it too much. You could go back and say, "If I didn't top deck a lightning storm on turn 3 then I wouldn't have had board control." It does cause a little bitterness when it's a total top deck wins, but in all honesty it's the same late game as early game.
    Is this where the header goes?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    I won't argue that it takes a lot of games to reach legend, but reaching legend and getting to the top 16 are 2 immensely different things. But by the looks of it, you spend more time complaining about RNG than trying to get better. Not sure why I even bother anymore. All the complaints in HS are the same, RNG, P2W, luck, I drafted a terrible arena deck 520 times in a row, etc,etc.
    I was not complaing about RNG, why do you think I am complaining? I have no problem with RNG, I actually like it and build decks around it sometimes for fun.

I am just honest enough to say that no its not skill that determines most games, its RNG. I have no problem with that, the skill part is the ones where you can make the difference and being able to capitalise on that is what determines who ranks up (for the record legend 23 is as high as I've managed, so not top 16 myself). But mostly its RNG most of the time.

hearthstone is not p2w, but it is card dependant. sure a common card deck can get you to legend, hell even the deck I draft of 1-2 cost minions for the one quest usually wins the 2-3 straight games needed to do the quest and that deck is shit! so you dont need expensive cards to win, does help though.

The skill in hs is building a deck that cuts RNG to a minimum, so you dont rely on one combo to win,but put in cards that have many uses. If you can cut down the RNG by drafting a deck with lots of synergy and options you do well, hence miracle's sucess, or zoo's sucess. Both cut down on RNG, zoo by making anything good to play! and miracle by fast deck cycling to get the combo you need.

But RNG is a massive factor in games, thats just how it is. Acknowledging that is not complaining about it.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-08-23 at 10:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I can build a brand new Shaman deck for my mate with no Storm, Dogs, Bolt, ES, few rares and zero Naxx cards and use that to beat him playing any one of my ranking decks of his choice continuously , it's not because of mostly RNG.

It's because I'm flat-out a better player than him due to having played the game a lot longer. No modesty - even with shit draw I got the wins due to creative use of cards, smart trading and priority target selection, which he still lacks as a new player.

RNG is a factor in games and yes will determine the outcome at points. But to say it's the most overwhelmingly prevalent factor is just silly.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose6 View Post
    Shaman's can't summon more than one of the same totem, even if the original totem is silenced. Silence is normally better reserved for something else, but keep this knowledge in mind when you have a good hand that could be potentially stopped short by taunt totems (or wrecked with a wrath of air charged lightning storm)
    Ive never had the opportunity to try it yet because its rare to have 4 totems up, but does your hero power get disabled if you have all 4 of them up? or do you get to have duplicates if you have 4 up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    If I can build a brand new Shaman deck for my mate with no Storm, Dogs, Bolt, ES, few rares and zero Naxx cards and use that to beat him playing any one of my ranking decks of his choice continuously , it's not because of mostly RNG.

It's because I'm flat-out a better player than him due to having played the game a lot longer. No modesty - even with shit draw I got the wins due to creative use of cards, smart trading and priority target selection, which he still lacks as a new player.

RNG is a factor in games and yes will determine the outcome at points. But to say it's the most overwhelmingly prevalent factor is just silly.
    yeah, if you take a ridiculous situation where someone has no clue is playing sure....

Ridiculous example is ridiculous.

Try playing at high ranks at a decent legend level. Where players are all using decent decks and skill is pretty equal, win/loss is rng. possibly this is not so true at low ranks for new players (or bad players) where people make lots of mistakes, but at any kind of competitive level, its not skill that determines a match, its rng an awful lot of the time, often its from the draw that a game is determined. I can tell if a game is going to go well or not (barring something amazing happening) on the draw or in turns 1-2 for almost every game.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, if you take a ridiculous situation where someone has no clue is playing sure....

Ridiculous example is ridiculous.

Try playing at high ranks at a decent legend level. Where players are all using decent decks and skill is pretty equal, win/loss is rng. possibly this is not so true at low ranks for new players (or bad players) where people make lots of mistakes, but at any kind of competitive level, its not skill that determines a match, its rng an awful lot of the time, often its from the draw that a game is determined. I can tell if a game is going to go well or not (barring something amazing happening) on the draw or in turns 1-2 for almost every game.
    So what you're saying is

People get to higher rankings

By playing better

THIS IS EXACTLY THE POINT
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive never had the opportunity to try it yet because its rare to have 4 totems up, but does your hero power get disabled if you have all 4 of them up? or do you get to have duplicates if you have 4 up
    It wont let you hero power anymore once you have all them up.

Skill is meaningless if you don't happen to have the cards you need. At the end of the day, all skill does is help to mitigate the RNG.

Yes, what you do with the cards matters, but you are always at the mercy of 2 layers of randomness. And there are often times when no amount of skill can help you/or is required.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-08-24 at 01:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i hate losing to bad card draw.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Skill is meaningless if you don't happen to have the cards you need. At the end of the day, all skill does is help to mitigate the RNG.

Yes, what you do with the cards matters, but you are always at the mercy of 2 layers of randomness. And there are often times when no amount of skill can help you/or is required.
    You say its meaningless then say skill does effect something.

So... its not meaningless...

The word, "IF":

If
    conjunction
    conjunction: if

introducing a conditional clause:
    synonyms: on condition that, provided (that), providing (that), presuming (that), supposing (that), assuming (that), on the assumption that, allowing (that), as long as, given that, with the provision/proviso that, with/on the understanding that, if and only if, contingent on, in the event that, allowing that
    "if the weather is fine, we can walk to the village"

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The word, "IF":
    Look at you being all witty by linking a word and its meaning.

/jelly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Sure, losing to ragnaros taking out your best creature instead of any of the small 1/1 bait sucks. But IMO, card draw RNG is the worst.

Shaman (me) vs Priest. I went first.

Round 1
    I play an unstable ghoul.
    Opponent passes.

Round 2
    I play a nerubian egg, attacks face with the ghoul.
    Opponent heals self.

Round 3
    I play ANOTHER nerubian egg, and attacks face again with the ghoul. At this point I am smiling VERY broadly... because I have a rivendare on my hand. All I need to do is to get my ghoul killed next turn!
    Opponent throws out a Wild Pyromancer. JACKPOT!

Round 4
    I play Baron Rivendare, attacks his Wild Pyromancer with my Unstable Ghoul. Ghoul dies. Boom. Two times one damage to every minion, which kills my two eggs, which spawns two times two 4/4 hatchlings. I'm now sitting on 16 attack worth of creatures, and there is pretty much no way I will lose. Best Card draw RNG ever, really. Any opponent at this point has to be cursing loudly!

Then he plays Auchenai soulpriest and Circle of Healing.
    I proceed to lose the match quite badly.

That's the kind of card draw RNG I seriously hate. Yeah, I should probably have seen it coming. But still. I drew the perfect hand, and I lost to the perfect counter. Sad day. Card draw RNG sucks

Damn I hate those priest decks. Even if you win against them, its going to be on turn 15 or even later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Konik View Post
    when you lose turn 4 in arena you understand how bad can be rng .)
    I've won in 2 turns in arena once

Why would you play a card game if you hate rng?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystrome View Post
    I've won in 2 turns in arena once
    Opponent coins Millhouse, you Fireball/pyro him?