Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Are garrisons going to make capital cities dead?

With everything you need being in your garrison, is there any reason to go to sw or org? Surely garrisons are going to make capitals ghost towns. Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Riccky View Post
    With everything you need being in your garrison, is there any reason to go to sw or org? Surely garrisons are going to make capitals ghost towns. Opinions?
    Trade chat
    AH

Can't do either in garrison. So answer no. Not even in the least.

Trade chat and transmog.

That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Trade chat
    AH

Can't do either in garrison. So answer no.
    Can't you get an AH at your garrison through the trading post?

Never mind.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2014-08-21 at 10:07 AM.

Deleted
    Nope.

10chars.

umm http://gyazo.com/6b23ec37d1cd291edc05aa72f1ebc64a taken just now from the beta. not sure how to post a full screenie.
    You get some engineer parts and do a quest to put http://wod.wowhead.com/npc=87205/anc...ding-mechanism that little guy back together. So yes AH in garrison.
    Last edited by Myrthrall; 2014-08-21 at 09:46 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Myrthrall View Post
    umm http://gyazo.com/6b23ec37d1cd291edc05aa72f1ebc64a taken just now from the beta. not sure how to post a full screenie
    I see. Even so, no. Trade chat. Especially since at first you won't have the ah function on the trade post.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2014-08-21 at 09:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once my Garrison is up and running, I'm not going to... well... "AFK" in the city.

My Garrison is designed to provide everything I need, and even now on live my trade-chat is pretty much hidden all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see. Even so, no. Trade chat. Especially since at first you won't have the ah function on the trade post.
    Must say I won't miss trade chat. Imo garrisons will most definitely deaden the cities, no question about it at all, especially if there is no endgame content that cannot be done via the LFG interface (and I believe there isn't in the new version).

As for other info, you can pick up your work orders at the ashran capitals. But as that area is kind of cramped and people hate the concept of it, I imagine people will just port to org to trade then go back to garrison and use the group finder to pug dungeons or raids and have some solitude, while still getting essential tasks done. But that's only really killing the ashran capitals. People will still hang around the old capitals to duel and to just sit on mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Must say I won't miss trade chat. Imo garrisons will most definitely deaden the cities, no question about it at all, especially if there is no endgame content that cannot be done via the LFG interface (and I believe there isn't in the new version).
    Highly doubt it will deaden anything. Even more so since the trading post does require a plot and at level 3 you seem to have 10max.

There are pugs, sales, and other various things going on in trade. I do not believe the in game LFG interface will have as significant an impact as you believe.

- - - Updated - - -

As for other info, you can pick up your work orders at the ashran capitals. But as that area is kind of cramped and people hate the concept of it, I imagine people will just port to org to trade then go back to garrison and use the group finder to pug dungeons or raids and have some solitude, while still getting essential tasks done. But that's only really killing the ashran capitals. People will still hang around the old capitals to duel and to just sit on mounts.
    I am not sure how great of an impact that group finder will have. People wont just sit in it for dungeons. OQ has been a thing as well for a long time. Though the content you could cross realm was a bit less. It will depend on how the new LFG tool functions.

I just don't see the garrisons having any impact. Especially when some people will want as many buildings providing resources to ah as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Especially when some people will want as many buildings providing resources to ah as possible.
    I might have more resource-based Garrison on my alts, but for my main - I'm planning to go with this.

If Garrisons kill city popularity, good. Ashran being the new capitals is terrible, as was having both in the same zone in MoP. Just fuck it, if they're going to give crappy capitals to live in. The horde one that I've seen looks like a mud pit with orcish buildings and structures here and there. The alliance one is probably a mud pit with human buildings and assorted structures here and there. Bland. Boring. Don't give a shit.

I am not sure how great of an impact that group finder will have. People wont just sit in it for dungeons. OQ has been a thing as well for a long time. Though the content you could cross realm was a bit less. It will depend on how the new LFG tool functions.

I just don't see the garrisons having any impact. Especially when some people will want as many buildings providing resources to ah as possible.
    OQ is also buggy and lets a 520ilvl player require 570 ilvl while the new dungeon finder limits that. They did a test Wednesday to get as many people as possible to queue using it, so it'll be interesting to see the results from that and see what they plan on changing from the feedback they get. There's also the fact that you can get transmog and void storage at your garrison. Really it's a personalized capitol, while the capitol itself just has all available buildings and the quartermasters. AS I said Org will still be rather busy but i suspect garrisons will indeed keep tons of people that hate seeing trade out of capitol.
    Also you seem to forget all the resource buildings are small plots while the functionality/beneficial buildings are medium plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    I might have more resource-based Garrison on my alts, but for my main - I'm planning to go with this.
    But that is probably at the top end. You'll probably want a lumber mill for awhile. At least until you have your upgrades completed. And an inn. For someone with only 1 toon, it will certainly be near the bottom to get the trading post.

Also, were they not wanting to link our alts to our garrison so we don't have the same issue as with the farm and the whole, wanting a ton of alts with a max farm thing?

- - - Updated - - -

OQ is also buggy and lets a 520ilvl player require 570 ilvl while the new dungeon finder limits that. They did a test Wednesday to get as many people as possible to queue using it, so it'll be interesting to see the results from that and see what they plan on changing from the feedback they get. There's also the fact that you can get transmog and void storage at your garrison. Really it's a personalized capitol, while the capitol itself just has all available buildings and the quartermasters. AS I said Org will still be rather busy but i suspect garrisons will indeed keep tons of people that hate seeing trade out of capitol.
    Maybe. They could just /leave trade. What about banks? As like I said a small bit ago, at least starting out you will pretty much exclusively have the lumber mill / inn until the leveling process is done. Think of trade post like end garrison content. A luxury that will be low in priority. If you like dailies the gladiator arena is certainly a strong choice as well. The inn is pretty much a must have.

The barn will also be a pretty powerful choice for anyone wanting to craft epic items.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2014-08-21 at 10:03 AM.

Oh looks like I was right. Mud pit with human structures strewn about. (And a lot of tents. Blech.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7868sLIBII

Horde zone:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIgFg0VMhvQ

Yep. Mud pits with generic buildings. If these pass as capital cities, to hell with them. Reign in the new age of empty capitals.

Can you access the AH from your Garrison?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by ScourgeSlayer View Post
    Can you access the AH from your Garrison?
    Seems you can with the trade post. However, imo there are much more desirable structures to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that is probably at the top end. You'll probably want a lumber mill for awhile. At least until you have your upgrades completed. And an inn. For someone with only 1 toon, it will certainly be near the bottom to get the trading post.
    I heard that you are going to get enough resources even without Lumber Mill anyways (daily supply).

But oh well, yes - that's what I'm planning to have at end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    There really isn't, at least until Tanaan's added.

Gotta love how they removed flying because they wanted to get us out in the world, and then made the continent's focal point a solo instance.