Journalism is a fickle thing in society, and with games getting to a more casual and mainstream level, this is bound to happen a lot more in the future. Perhaps not any time soon, given the lady in question wasn't quite as talented onto covering her track properly, or perhaps, what I suspect, she simply let the commoction happen for even more publicity. Heck, even bad publicity is still publicity in the end. Women like herself simple adore bathing in any sense of attention, and what not to do this in a better way then getting a scandal out?

It is right out disturbing to see people getting censored for the sake of 'protecting' some woman. If she did what she did, she ought to get all the flack she deserves instead of to sweep it under the rug, because her feelings may get hurt.

I really hope, for the sake of all us non-attention seeking women who take gaming seriously, that this censoring stops and soon. She, and said journalist, mods and fanbase, deserves what is coming. Open and clear for everyone to see, not censored and truths twisted.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone did something unethical, it is almost always for power and influence. Money is just a very common form of that. Greed is one of the most common character flaws in people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Attention AND money:

http://i.imgur.com/IGgmuxh.jpg
    Yeh, pretty disgusting. It's sad when the Gaming Industry is being represented in this manner. 99% of those in the industry want to see it taken seriously as a real medium of entertainment and art, but when you've got disgusting rat bags like this ruining it all, it just makes it all the harder for that to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    thats part of it, a lot of people came to her defence originally because she played an innocent woman being bullied by the men of some weird image board site, but it turned out she was never bullied, just made shit up to get support and all the white knights of twitter jumped to her aid because she was a damsel in distress.
    Which is part of my concern. She claimed to be abused, and everyone lept to her aid! "How could a Women be abused like this? Men are such pigs! Natural born rapists! Oh... There is evidence that says she lied? SEXISM!"

Don't you think it would be a good idea to link to the reviews that she supposedly paid for with sex in the OP?

Deleted
    Only seen this whole thing at a glance, but this supposed review for the game on Kotaku doesnt seem to exist?
    The whole frenzy about it is really unproportional IMO.
    If this is about the personal conduct of two individuals then whatever, who cares?
    If it´s about the state of video game journalism there is probably much more relevant examples of corruption.
    The response and attention the whole thing is getting is perhaps a much more interesting and relevant topic, because the question of journalistic integrity in this business should probably more relevant in the context of big publishers and strongarm tactics (like the old "Gerstmann gate" thing) then one individual female indie developer, and even there she´s less relevant to the topic then the accused guy at Kotaku.

So the whole thing seems to be this blown up for the one reason that she´s one of few prominent females in the industry, and that´s just sad.
    Another way to view the allegations is "High profile gaming journalist uses position for sexual favors", it goes both ways here.

10+ Year Old Account
    a nice gathering of info here http://imgur.com/sn6jZYW

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I think this whole thing is obnoxious.

I don't care who slept with whom and nobody should. The fact that people are calling out others by their real names publicly to slander and defame them on a personal level is ridiculously immature and speaks volume of their character and intelligence.

Also, this whole "she slept her way up!" thing, to me, sounds like the oldest and most obvious trick in the book. In certain people's minds, it's the easiest way to slander a woman publicly. I don't have a clue if it's actually true or not, mind you. And frankly, I don't give the slightest damn. Why would anyone? Who's interest is this? Sounds like a bunch of sissies who are terribly jealous at some self-publicizing emo chick that managed to do something they couldn't: get a game on Steam.

Finally, I don't understand why so many people are getting so agitated over the whole thing and are taking sides and making this huge witchhunt out of it. What is this? Rejection-riddled basement nerds clashing with internet PC warriors? To me, they're all tattletale douchebags with nothing better to do.
    It's ruining the gaming industry, that's the only thing that matters. She can be a street whore for all I care. Don't corrupt my hobby though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post

Which is part of my concern. She claimed to be abused, and everyone lept to her aid! "How could a Women be abused like this? Men are such pigs! Natural born rapists! Oh... There is evidence that says she lied? SEXISM!"

Yeah, I can say this and the whole wizardchan thing she made up, and what eventually got all of them abused and harassed by whiteknights that believe a girl "just cause she says so." is the worst part for me.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I think this sums it all up. Professional victims are just awful.
    http://plebcomics.tumblr.com/post/95...tream-also-can

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    It's ruining the gaming industry, that's the only thing that matters. She can be a street whore for all I care. Don't corrupt my hobby though.
    I don't really see how it's runing the gaming industry - or how a single person could be held accountable for something like that.

I suspect that this sort of thing is more common than many people realise. Playing on a role-playing realm in WoW and other MMO's I've encountered a fair few women - and men - who are incredibly manipulative and sleep their way into prominent positions within an online community. They do this in such a way as to cover their tracks and ensure that there's no shortage of sycophants willing to defend them as they embrace the role of the poor and innocent victim.

It's also disgusting as it makes light of actual cases of abuse and discrimination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    thats part of it, a lot of people came to her defence originally because she played an innocent woman being bullied by the men of some weird image board site, but it turned out she was never bullied, just made shit up to get support and all the white knights of twitter jumped to her aid because she was a damsel in distress.
    Yet they scream sexism if someone holds the door for them. Seriously, I don't think their levels of phoniness are ever going to be matched again.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot more to this whole shit if you've been following on /v/. We got like 10 imigurs of her nudes and phil fish deleted his twitter. It's been a glorious past few days.

I don't really see how it's runing the gaming industry - or how a single person could be held accountable for something like that.
    It all starts from somewhere. Have you even seen the video? Kotaku is quite a big deal of a site. And it's corrupted.

It's weird how people who would give bribes for articles nobody will link to are personally ruining the industry, but people willing to accept bribes aren't mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can you trust a review when you hear about shit like this? I, for one stopped caring about all those "big" gaming sites a long time ago. This is why the whole gaming "journalism thing" (because it isn't even real journalism) is ruining the industry.

Sorry, but when someone sleeps with gaming industry journalists from major sites for good reviews of her product then IT IS a big deal.
    Last edited by randomnamegenerator16; 2014-08-21 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It's weird how people who would give bribes for articles nobody will link to are personally ruining the industry, but people willing to accept bribes aren't mentioned.

They are by me. The reason Zoe Quinn is in the spotlight is because she started it all. She made up a fake harassment story to get more publicity for her game "Depression Quest", ironically enough by pointing at a bunch of depressed and anxious people, her supposed target audience with the game, and blaming them for the harassment, getting them harassed and abused in turn, and subsequently for other games she might actually ask money for. This all then turned into something more when other stories about her came out.

But I very much hold those journalists and the sites accountable. Doesn't mean Quinn suddenly isn't, though.

I don't even care about the gaming journalism aspect of it. Kotaku, RPS etc. have been shit for years if not shit from start, using their platforms only to further their agendas like this.

What I'm pissed about is that by building these networks she has single handedly managed to censor the topic from almoust entire internet and thanks to support she has miraculously gained from very many indie devs with large followings, her behaviour gets enabled over and over again. No matter how heinous the act, no matter how disgusting the targets of it are treated, she can be at no wrong at all.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    phil fish deleted his twitter. It's been a glorious past few days.
    Very glorious indeed