Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I don't get it. So he was going to talk to her but now is not. That's not all that uncommon given the shifting schedules on the editorial side of things. If there were a bunch of examples of this, I'd say this is something. But alone, it's not really anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I don't get it. So he was going to talk to her but now is not. That's not all that uncommon given the shifting schedules on the editorial side of things. If there were a bunch of examples of this, I'd say this is something. But alone, it's not really anything.
    My guess is that she took a side yesterday in twitter (pro gg-side) and they found about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, she's on our side. She offered to talk to Ben Kuchera as a female gamedev, but it was a no go. Like Edge said it doesn't prove anything by itself, but it does imply bias.

Vavra is love, Vavra is life.

Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-09-12 at 11:09 PM.

http://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeli...E45VG85WDl3R0E
    a time line of everything sofar with gamergate, including the events before that helped to fuel the flames.

- - - Updated - - -

http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumblr.com/post/96535488995/on-the-last-kingmaker
    on how this unchecked could of, and might still will, lead to a crash in the gaming industry.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    a time line of everything sofar with gamergate, including the events before that helped to fuel the flames.

- - - Updated - - -

http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumbl...last-kingmaker
    on how this unchecked could of, and might still will, lead to a crash in the gaming industry.
    The first link is missing a few key moments, but its pretty much got the overview correct. The second link, is pretty much on the money. I don't think anyone wants indie games to crash, but the collusion in the "indie scene" needs to be addressed and scrutinized.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    TFYC wants to help women who want to make games, make games. Do you see any social justice agenda in any of those 5 games? No you don't. I share the opinion with TFYC that the more diverse our developers are, the better; we'll get more games, different games, and better games. If we get more females and people of color in developing, this social justice agenda will be harder to shovel. They're feminists, yes, but not the kind we're used to seeing; they actually care about fair representation and equality.
    Thats the reason I backed TFYC type of feminism. They want to create and add rather than change and subtract. Tropes when used well can tell a story that will stay with you for a lifetime. I can remember plot by plot the whole Xenosaga Trilogy and there were plenty of women being kidnapped in that game's story but the device was used very well and actually added to the story. When its used poorly is when I feel like...ugh the story could have progressed without this, I hate the villian....ooook you can stoooop. Females filling male dominated archetypes are good when its used well. An example of this is Lara Croft (New) and Nathan Drake. Both on paper are exactly the same character but the personality that the writers bring to them is what sets them apart.

All in All, Im glad TFYC got funded, and I'd be glad to fund them again when the next charity comes up. I hope they prove to be the new driving force for feminism in the industry and grow to be a company that just makes good games by getting more women in the industry with more diverse ideas and less agendas.

Deleted
    It is missing quite some bit though and some key videos. Nothing about Anita as well, which is strange because she fuelled a lot of fire, nothing about most major articles from both sides (just talking briefly about gamers are dead)
    Overall a pretty good timeline but it really needs to be completed.

Apparently Something Awful was finally able to get a thread rolling. Just remember, SA is 4chan's "dad" or something.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...readid=3663824

Edit: The reason SA has went without a thread for so long (besides one of the threads instantly going to the gas chamber) was that when Zoe's BF made his account and made 2 posts about everything in the games section, he was pretty much instantly banned
    Last edited by Truedusk; 2014-09-13 at 04:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...it seems most things have calmed down now. So does that mean we can get a communication going on how to fix these problems?
    does anyoen need to be fired.
    do any new sites need to be supported to become, as tfyc put it, the journalist kingmaker for games.
    should apologize be made?

you know stuff like that. since I believe the fire has has been put out but the problem of how it started is still there, meaning years from now we will be screwed.

Those things are happening, except for apologies from what I can see.

I hear Polygon, Gamasutra, and Kotaku's ratings are plummeting fast while Escapists is rising ALOT...wonder why that is....

Quote Originally Posted by nightguard View Post
    So...it seems most things have calmed down now. So does that mean we can get a communication going on how to fix these problems?
    does anyoen need to be fired.
    do any new sites need to be supported to become, as tfyc put it, the journalist kingmaker for games.
    should apologize be made?

you know stuff like that. since I believe the fire has has been put out but the problem of how it started is still there, meaning years from now we will be screwed.
    We got something like an apology. Every one of those "gamers are dead" posts essentially said "hah, gamers are actually a super diverse group of people who rarely conform to the parody of gamers that culture warriors apply to them."; which we already knew of course, but it was nice to know that these journalists didn't. It is sad that they thought we didn't know that, and I suppose it would be nice to read that apology.

I have found a few sites that I am liking, there are some that are getting their footing and such so I don't want to judge them yet, but I am enjoying the alternatives that are now getting the spotlight. Once the devs see where the views are, they will be the ones that get more exclusive interviews and such, hopefully on their journalistic merit and not on "who they know". If they keep objectivity above all else we could see the rise of some new players in the game journalist scene.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    We got something like an apology. Every one of those "gamers are dead" posts essentially said "hah, gamers are actually a super diverse group of people who rarely conform to the parody of gamers that culture warriors apply to them."; which we already knew of course, but it was nice to know that these journalists didn't. It is sad that they thought we didn't know that, and I suppose it would be nice to read that apology.
    I don't think Gamasutra's ever issued an apology. Leigh Alexander being one of their senior editors and continuing to vomit self-righteous nonsense doesn't help them, either. The senior editor for Kotaku's been rambling about how providing both sides to a story is bad because then you can't push an opinion, and I dunno about Polygon.

Escapist genuinely seems like they're trying to turn things around, but most others have been going into panic mode and just lashing out wildly and desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    I don't think Gamasutra's ever issued an apology. Leigh Alexander being one of their senior editors and continuing to vomit self-righteous nonsense doesn't help them, either. The senior editor for Kotaku's been rambling about how providing both sides to a story is bad because then you can't push an opinion, and I dunno about Polygon.
    Kotaku be damned in terms of anything serious, they've always been a far more bloggy site than anything serious.

But Gamasutra and Polygon make me a bit sad. Gamasutra has almost always been a pretty fantastic site for a more industry centric view on things, with fantastic pieces covering various aspects of the art, design, and business side of games, and over the years they've had a ton of phenomenal pieces.

Polygon, despite it being the most pretentious site around (seriously, their writers are the most pretentious folks in the industry...but with semi-decent reason) is the only one of the gaming news sites that I give an ounce of journalistic respect to. They have actual journalists working there. Crecente? He started out with a regional newspaper working the crime beat for years before moving into covering gaming. And their articles? As annoying as some are, they've got a fantastic batch of actual journalism. They actually go out and hunt down stories, do research, and find interesting and unique angles to cover things from. Them being so involved in all this makes me sad, because they have shown the potential to be so much more.

My feeling is that some have burned the bridge, while some could salvage their reputation of they start cleaning house. some people may not wanna hear the F word, but there are some folks who should be fired if they are found to be in a breach of ethics. Like I said, as far as that goes, let the digging be done in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    I don't think Gamasutra's ever issued an apology. Leigh Alexander being one of their senior editors and continuing to vomit self-righteous nonsense doesn't help them, either.
    They took down the member blog that was issuing death threats to gamers. I guess they consider that to be a huge concession.

Deleted
    Kotaku be damned in terms of anything serious, they've always been a far more bloggy site than anything serious.
    Gawker media has built an empire on being the online version of "The Daily Mail". Just look at the title for their main page:

Gawker - Today's gossip is tomorrow's news
    http://gawker.com/

I don't have much expectations from them other than the occasional nipslip (well, the gaming equivalent of a nipslip).

Polygon, despite it being the most pretentious site around (seriously, their writers are the most pretentious folks in the industry...but with semi-decent reason) is the only one of the gaming news sites that I give an ounce of journalistic respect to. They have actual journalists working there. Crecente? He started out with a regional newspaper working the crime beat for years before moving into covering gaming. And their articles? As annoying as some are, they've got a fantastic batch of actual journalism. They actually go out and hunt down stories, do research, and find interesting and unique angles to cover things from. Them being so involved in all this makes me sad, because they have shown the potential to be so much more.
    Maybe they had to increase revenues.. and the quick and easy way to do that is to ride with the flow.
    Last edited by mmoc00230c3bbe; 2014-09-13 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added gawker's media headline

Deleted
    http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumblr.com/post/96535488995/on-the-last-kingmaker
    Well it most likely will be a case of those 'Hardcore' fans will most likely keep certain dev's afloat during the collapse.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meafy View Post
    Well it most likely will be a case of those 'Hardcore' fans will most likely keep certain dev's afloat during the collapse.
    Will be there a critical mass of money to suck from these fans however?
    Because that is the question, and the answer. :P