Quote Originally Posted by erthwjim View Post
    I would say their treatment of gamergate is a reflection on wikipedia as a whole. Some people may say (we'll call them anti-gg) not donating to wikipedia is just being done out of spite and hurts the legitimate articles (or some other excuse), but if wikipedia can't be unbiased on an article like this one how can they be unbiased on articles concerning even larger issues? How many other times has this happened and we just didn't notice because we didn't think about it? This is shining a glaring light on some of the problems that exist within a community moderated site such as wikipedia, problems we may have conveniently ignored without gamergate.
    American conservatives have been complaining about that for a while now. Of course, their answer to the issue - Conservapedia - is a place completely detached from reality and facts, so I think most people just saw it as a severe case of sour grapes.

Nothing to be done there, though. Any sort of written account is going to be seen as biased by one side or another. It just so happens anti-GG has positioned GamerGate as a movement that's against the current third-wave feminist zeitgeist. Wikipedia is a place that attracts large amounts of politicized young people as their editors (I remember reading something that said the average age for an editor on Wikipedia is around 25), and chances are the political leanings of those editors - very likely shaped by the same "academic" arguments used to vilify GamerGate - are going to show through. If the owners of the website (those who give the final word in any sort of controversy) are also in that political camp... again, nothing to do there.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Just stopping in to remind people that GameGate's latest op (#opchokehold) is a sick reference to the NYPD killing of Eeic Garner.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Just stopping in to remind people that GameGate's latest op (#opchokehold) is a sick reference to the NYPD killing of Eeic Garner.
    Source or I call bullshit.

7+ Year Old Account
    GJP, it's just a list like any other listserv or mailing list, no collusion whatsoever.... except for a few things here and there that just keep popping up: http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/201...ntitrust-laws/
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Source or I call bullshit.
    Here you are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Two things, it could be satire or some political statement about it. If it's political, it might be tasteless but I wouldn't call it sick. Second, chokeholds have existed before Eric Garner, so they may have been referring to the classical definition of the word (it's used a lot in WWE and other wrestling I believe). Bottom line, you're making the link to Eric Garner and assuming that's what its intent was.
    Last edited by erthwjim; 2014-12-20 at 05:20 AM.
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Two things, it could be satire or some political statement about it. If it's political, it might be tasteless but I wouldn't call it sick. Second, chokeholds have existed before Eric Garner, so they may have been referring to the classical definition of the word (it's used a lot in WWE and other wrestling I believe).
    Well, a guy DID die, so...

Yes, we all know about that. What is your source for this supposed Gamergate op that references it?

I don't frequent 8chan, but I've seen nothing about it on KYM and a glance at KiA reveals nothing either.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but see second statement. Some other people died too, yet there was no opfergusson, so I doubt opchokehold has anything to do with Eric Garner. Now you could have an argument and say they were oblivious to the recent use of the word, but again, chokeholds have existed long before Eric Garner died.

Yes, we all know about that. What is your source for this supposed Gamergate op that references it?

I don't frequent 8chan, but I've seen nothing about it on KYM and a glance at KiA reveals nothing either.
    This. Where's this thing your talking about, Zython?

So what? Do they directly reference it? No? Then there's no link to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

https://8chan.co/gamergate/res/99869.html

Looks like it's from the anti-SJW part of the movement, seems to be descending into a Twitter spat with someone they've decided to call "Landwhale" or "Randwhale".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    https://8chan.co/gamergate/res/99869.html

Looks like it's from the anti-SJW part of the movement, seems to be descending into a Twitter spat with someone they've decided to call "Landwhale" or "Randwhale".
    So more or less no reference to Eric Garner, and probably someone that didn't even cross their mind when they created the tag. If anything it's being used in the wrestling (or rather combat sports it seems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokeho..._combat_sports) sense of the word, to get someone, in this case twitter, to submit.

Because a "choke hold" was never heard of, referenced, or used before Eric Garner, right?

It never ceases to amaze me how anti-GG SJWs try to tie any and all negative things to it, even going so far as to pretend a move that has been used in professional wrestling and MMA is, instead, being used to mock somebody dying who was choked to death despite his name not coming up at all.

And according to these people its GG swinging wildly and saying a bunch of nonsense.

Never a more apt response than:

So more or less no reference to Eric Garner, and probably someone that didn't even cross their mind when they created the tag. If anything it's being used in the wrestling (or rather combat sports it seems http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokeho..._combat_sports) sense of the word, to get someone, in this case twitter, to submit.
    Yes, I'm SURE it's just one massive coincidence that the move they chose just so happens to be the move used in, I'd like to reiterate, a high profile police murder. Any reason they didn't choose #opsuplex (hell, #opsuplex sounds kind of cool)? At least you're making an attempt to connect it to wrestling, rather than boxing like one asshole did.

Yes, I'm SURE it's just one massive coincidence that the move they chose just so happens to be the move used in, I'd like to reiterate, a high profile police murder. Any reason they didn't choose #opsuplex (hell, #opsuplex sounds kind of cool)? At least you're making an attempt to connect it to wrestling, rather than boxing like one asshole did.
    Because a suplex isn't a submission move?

Yeah, it probably is. Because the idea of a chokehold has existed in the sports world for years and years.

Just because you and your SJWs decide that you don't like GG and there was a recent case where the police killed somebody by choking them doesn't mean it was meant to be used to either smear the case or mock what happened.

Also chokeholds are a thing in MMA I hope you realize.

Or maybe you don't. You really seem like you're talking out of your ass here, flailing about and screaming that some random person on 8chan decided to call something operation choke hold because they wanted to mock the Eric Garner case.

You've almost achieved a level of hysteria. Keep it up. I'm sure you'll get there.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-12-20 at 07:36 AM.

Ok, some people seem to be confused here, so let me explain this S-L-O-W-L-Y.

Yes, chokeholds existed before the Eric Garner case. That's not the point. The point is that they chose to name the op after a major part of the killing right after the grand jury decision made national headlines and massive protests are currently raging across the country. This case isn't exactly an esoteric story found only in local news. The problem isn't the name they chose, it's that they chose the name NOW, and didn't stop to consider "wait, like the Eric Garner killing? Isn't that a bad idea".

We can come to one of 3 possible conclusions here.

1. The hashtag originators and users are so clueless about the world around them, that they didn't make the connection.
    2. They were aware of the event, but thought it was unimportant.
    3. They were aware of the event, and deliberately chose the name as a way to make light of it.

Given that I have yet to see anyone using it admit that the name is in bad taste when brought up, I think scratching off the first conclusion is a safe bet. The latter two don't exactly paint a rosy picture.

Let me run you through a hypothetical. Let's say there was something like GG back in 2012. And in March, they decided to make an op called #OPStandYourGround. You know, to hold firm in what they were doing. Problem is that Trayvon Martin was killed in February. Would that not seem like a curious choice of naming?

At BESt, the OP name displays a MASSIVE amount of tone-deafness, especially considering it's a twitter hashtag, and #ICantBreathe (a reference to Eric Garner's last words, and the rallying cry among the protesters) was treading not too long ago. However, given that the hashtag originated on 8chan, and the kind of people that place attracts, one can only conclude that they knew exactly what they were doing.

Choke hold can be used to describe other things... Like the "google has a choke hold on the internet" as seen here, written before the choke hold that killed that dude. Using Zython strange logic, Computer World predicted the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Algathor View Post
    You are reaching stretch armstrong levels here.
    It would be a stretch if it weren't national news and trending on twitter quite recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Choke hold can be used to describe other things... Like the "google has a choke hold on the internet" as seen here, written before the choke hold that killed that dude. Using Zython strange logic, Computer World predicted the future.
    I never said that the chokehold was invented in the Eric Garner case. That would be stupid. My point is that making a reference to chokeholds RIGHT AFTER the grand jury decision and during the protests is suspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a stretch if it weren't national news and trending on twitter quite recently.
    It wouldn't be a stretch if there was clear links to it, but all there is at this moment is assumptions you are pulling out of your own behind.