Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    It amuses me when people use distance as a reason why aliens couldn't get or be here. Einstein's theory says its theoretically possible to bend time and space via wormhole.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

The link above is the evolution of the wormhole hipotisys in Eistein's theory. Read it

Why people think its impossible is beyond me.
    Its impossible because the amount of energy required to make it viable would require you to tame a black hole...

Even a tiny black at the edge of our solar system would have catatrophic results to the solar system... For exemple, we would notice huge earthquakes here on Earth... Guess what? None of those Huge earthquakes have been traked, also taming a black hole is... Dude, even using a magnetic field its isane due to the gravitical forces that ship would experience.

I really didn't wanted to be the alien inside that ship... Just the amount of radiation the black hole would realese would be insane.

Look around you. In just the last 100 years humans have gone from candle light to electricity and to the moon. Imagine how advanced an intelligent race with say a relatively small 1 million years of evolution would be.
    They would have technology beyond our compreension, true... But Technology requires energy... And that we can track... And until now we haven't found anything beyond logic.

To them harnessing the energy of star may seem as infantile as our steam engine.
    As for whether or not governments would admit they were here or even incoming. They would be foolish to do so. People panic over much more trivial events. Admitting an alien race is here or inbound would result in world wide chaos. Religions would fail, governments etc....
    I 100% agree, the point is, why would they want to come here? We have nothing they need, and even our planet is trash, its a mid-age planet with just another 500 milion year of habitable life... Such a civilization could just move to a newborn system.

The only thing that makes me doubt my previous statment is knowledge, if they are here, the reason its us, as they can get whatever they want from much better sources, and cheaper, then Earth.

One last caveat for all those wishing they would land and say take me to your leader. Is be careful what you wish for. There is not 1 time in recorded in human history that a civilization has met a more advanced one and survived. More than likely we'll be looked at like we look at apes or ants.
    And what is the point of taking control of Earth? We have NOTHING those beings could need. There was a NatGeo show in 2012 whose theorised reason for Aliens coming to Earth was carbon farming, which is a nonsense, there are planets made of carbon, and if we can farm that carbon (and we can) that means they would be able to do it aswell, and that would be a lot cheaper for them... We have NOTHING they need... Not even our planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Even a tiny black at the edge of our solar system would have catatrophic results to the solar system... For exemple, we would notice huge earthquakes here on Earth... Guess what? None of those Huge earthquakes have been traked, also taming a black hole is... Dude, even using a magnetic field its isane due to the gravitical forces that ship would experience.
    There have been two major breakthroughs in the math since Alcubierre. One in 1995 that dramatically reduced the energy requirements (orders of magnitude), and another in 2007 that further and similarly dramatically reduced the requirement. That's why NASA started taking it seriously - because the current estimate is that a ship would require slightly more energy than all the human-generated energy on Earth right now: which is a lot but is also a number within our comprehension - even if not practical to put all in one place at one time.

- Black Holes are a weird way of measuring energy, just saying

I really didn't wanted to be the alien inside that ship... Just the amount of radiation the black hole would realese would be insane.
    The emission of hawking radiation out of a black hole would be variable to the size of the black hole - but the rate of emission is expected to be tiny. I don't know anyone who has tested to see the lethality of hawking radiation yet (did you find this somewhere?) - but I suspect that sufficiently small black holes wouldn't emit lethal radiation.

Actually... so, two weird effects about black holes would come into play here, 1) temporal distortion would mean your perception of time in close proximity to a black hole (on a ship with one) could be a problem, and 2) Hawking radiation is expected to be related to the uneven gravitic pull on the black hole - the more it's distorted the faster it irradiates. Meaning that small black holes, unintuitively - might emit more hawking radiation faster than galaxy-sized ones, simply because the influence of planets and suns and such would be larger relative to the hole itself (where-as a galaxy-eater wouldn't even notice the influence of a star).

They would have technology beyond our compreension, true... But Technology requires energy... And that we can track... And until now we haven't found anything beyond logic.
    I'm not really sure what this argument means - we know fusion works (stars), we just don't know how to make them small and portable. We are pretty sure antimatter drives would work, we just don't know how to capture or create sufficient quantities of anti-matter, and regulating the flow of antimatter is something we want to be really confident about before we blow up our planet with it. If we discover ways to open wormholes, there may be secondary technologies we can develop out of that - that use these distortions as a form of energy themselves.

Nothing is beyond logic - but it's entirely possible to know that there is technology we don't yet understand: to know that we do not know.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2014-08-23 at 02:03 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    I'm not really sure what this argument means
    It means exactly what i have writen there, it means that the manipulacions of energy always leave a clue wich we can track. It could be just heat, radiation you name it, we can track most of energy sources in the universe... The only real excepcion is dark-matter, but even that we can track the clue they leave, gravity...

At this precise moment, there are undreds of devices on Earth's orbit with sensors to track this phenomena, on Earth there are another couple of hundreds of similar devices... No one has ever found significative energy anomalies .
    Last edited by Tuor; 2014-08-23 at 07:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm virtually convinced that aliens exist and were in Houston at one point in time.
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    It means exactly what i have writen there, it means that the manipulacions of energy always leave a clue wich we can track. It could be just heat, radiation you name it, we can track most of energy sources in the universe... The only real excepcion is dark-matter, but even that we can track the clue they leave, gravity...

At this precise moment, there are undreds of devices on Earth's orbit with sensors to track this phenomena, on Earth there are another couple of hundreds of similar devices... No one has ever found significative energy anomalies .
    We spend essentially no time trying to track anomalous energy readings. For one, a heat spike inside our atmosphere would only be alarming if we had any idea at all what to expect our atmosphere to do at any given time - but we don't - meteorology is the closest thing we have - and it basically involves looking at the most macro-data available and making a hasty generalization about entire regions: so unless they have a cloaked mothership the size of a state inside our atmosphere - we won't know - and even then we'd just think it was a weird weather front without a cloud formation.

In space? We make zero attempt at all to track omnidirectional energy readings and try to model them to predict whether or not they should actually be there. There are hundreds of satellites in Earth's orbit, none of which make any effort to account for strange gravity fluctuations or soft heat signatures or random spikes in background radio signals: things happen - so long as cell coverage doesn't drop because of it, nobody cares.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    We spend essentially no time trying to track anomalous energy readings.
    But we spent a lot of time studying stuff like Brown-Dwarfs, Neutron Star, Quasars (massive black hole found in the center of galaxies). My afirmation was in that way, the only uncommon thing we EVER found was a radio signal wich UFO'logists say that come from a specific star, whille TRUE astronomers can't precise its origin or at least assign it to a specific star.

We have been studying the skies with sofistified instruments in the past 100 years. Gamma ray burst, x-ray, dark-matter, dark-energy... There is 0 prove of existence of aliens except... That 76s long radio signal, the WOW! signal. In comparison, the signs of humanity are spread 100 light-years all around Earth.

I was speeking in energy, and based on our own calculation, the energy required for space traveling is immense... And that amount always leaves a clues, radiation, heat... You name it, the point here is that all our instruments (which i admit aren't enought) haven't found absolutely nothing, and i can asure you, if any alien came here using the warp-bubble theory, every freaking scientist in this planet would know, because that amount of energy (a black hole like i've said before, or antimatter like you've said) would be so damn easy to spot... At the eyes of a simple infra-red telescope that energy would shine like molten glass.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

But we spent a lot of time studying stuff like Brown-Dwarfs, Neutron Star, Quasars (massive black hole found in the center of galaxies). My afirmation was in that way, the only uncommon thing we EVER found was a radio signal wich UFO'logists say that come from a specific star, whille TRUE astronomers can't precise its origin or at least assign it to a specific star.

We have been studying the skies with sofistified instruments in the past 100 years. Gamma ray burst, x-ray, dark-matter, dark-energy... There is 0 prove of existence of aliens except... That 76s long radio signal, the WOW! signal. In comparison, the signs of humanity are spread 100 light-years all around Earth.

I was speeking in energy, and based on our own calculation, the energy required for space traveling is immense... And that amount always leaves a clues, radiation, heat... You name it, the point here is that all our instruments (which i admit aren't enought) haven't found absolutely nothing, and i can asure you, if any alien came here using the warp-bubble theory, every freaking scientist in this planet would know, because that amount of energy (a black hole like i've said before, or antimatter like you've said) would be so damn easy to spot... At the eyes of a simple infra-red telescope that energy would shine like molten glass.
    Actually... theoretically. .. looking at the scenario in a typical generalized fashion... because of the immense amounts of energy required for interstellar travel it would likely only be practically possible with a propulsion method and power source that offers near 100% efficiency. This means that the vast majority of energy put into the system would result in physical movement leaving a minimal amount of energy in waste heat and light emission. Their moving crafts would blend in with the background radiation.

It was just OP's mom.
    Chicken fried rice is delicious!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatshopkids View Post
    It was just OP's mom.
    This aint 4 chat here we dont talk about others like that.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog