Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    7+ Year Old Account
    OP, I can totally understand you. I feel exactly this way, I avoid going out with people if I can. I never know what to say so most of the time I just remain silent. The only people who I'm confident to talk to are my close family and my best friend.
    I have recently being diagnosed with Asperger so that's the reason for me. I don't feel strange or awkward, because in my world the awkward people are the ones partying and doing such other social things. So I feel happy if I can remain at home doing my stuff.

I'm not much of an out goer, if its someone's birthday ill tag along or if someone offers me out for a drink or whatever i might consider it but i think i may enjoy being a recluse, (thats not to exclude other outdoor things, there is a difference between being reclusive and being agoraphobic although some ppl might not agree and get the 2 confused), some ppl just don't care much for social interaction the same way other ppl need it, its apparent in the animal kingdom too you get loners and you get pack animals, its just 2 sides of the same coin. I do enjoy the philosophical discussions on these boards though. if its an interesting topic its sometimes worth voicing an opinion but, to the OP your not the only one who doesn't find random banter interesting or worth the effort when you could be doing something you do enjoy. maybe its simply introverts vs extroverts. neither one being the 'right' one, but a good mix of both i suppose is what you could aim for, even if its only to please other ppl and not come across as simply ignorant. most of my buds are extroverts i don't know many intros really, maybe because they are all hiding under a rock like me :P i still get along just fine with the ppl i do know and even if its boring ill still be a gentleman and listen to ppls problems when they feel like showering me with happenings.

I do think though that no matter how introverted you are, everyone needs a bit of social interaction, i could go a while without needing to talk to anyone, but i think eventually it would get to anyone and probably be quite damaging mentally to for example not speak or see a single soul for decades or even 2 or 3 years, it might be possible for many to go their entire lives without another human contact, but for the most part you do need a little interaction for the sake of your sanity.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-08-23 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    Say at a restaurant, and you kind of sit there and listen to people talk and make jokes about innuendos and whatever and stuff that is kind of funny but isn't that funny and they talk about life problems but it's just the same old thing you've heard before and that everyone who has ever lived before had.
    2edgy4me bro.

No, I enjoy basic human pleasantries. Everything's been done, of course, but there's no reason to get so deep into navel-gazing meta bullshit as to strip the fun out of basic human pleasures. If you can't enjoy having a beer with friends, it's either time for new friends or introspection.

Deleted
    Depends on the culture really. Here in Sweden we're a pretty shy and introverted crowd of people. It's no surprise if someone declines an invitation to go out, nor is that in any way weird if you get along great in other aspects. The introvertedness is part of our culture, so it's more widely accepted to be both an extrovert and an introvert.

From what little experience I have with America for example, I've seen that it's in their culture to be extrovert. It's something that children are taught to be at a very early age and is encouraged to be throughout their lives as if it was the main trait of success. Being an introvert is then seen as being somewhat of a loser in life.

It really shouldn't matter though. You as a person shouldn't be in an environment you don't feel comfortable in if you can avoid it. Do things that make you happy instead of the things that are expected of you.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidmoe View Post
    OP, I can totally understand you. I feel exactly this way, I avoid going out with people if I can. I never know what to say so most of the time I just remain silent. The only people who I'm confident to talk to are my close family and my best friend.
    I have recently being diagnosed with Asperger so that's the reason for me. I don't feel strange or awkward, because in my world the awkward people are the ones partying and doing such other social things. So I feel happy if I can remain at home doing my stuff.
    And there is nothing at all wrong with how you feel. I am the same way. I much prefer to stay home and be with my best friend..... my wife. She is however more social than I am, so I go out and do things more often with other people to please her than to want to do it myself. I love to stay home and do my own thing on the 14 acres I own and there is always things which need to be done it seems. It is fairly isolated where I live, with few neighbors and quiet too. Just how I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Guys. Guys. Guys. Wait. Guys. Spiders are cute.

Especially those fat, fuzzy jumping ones.
    Yeah sure thing.

Doesn't bother me, although my circle of friends is pretty small and consists of maybe 6 people. We at least get together every Saturday when we can just to hang out for a few hours, whether it be D&D, movies, other games, or just hanging around to bullshit. Always a good time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind going out with my friends as long as we're doing something. Hell, I don't even mind going over and watching them play video games for a little while. But yeah, when they decide it's talky time.... You know, they know me well enough. I rarely have anything to say. They also know that I don't know or care SHIT about cars. But that seems to be a widely popular topic of discussion. And when it comes to political things, I'm a guy living in Alabama who belongs somewhere in the north(east). So that's out, and I don't like talking about those things in public anymore than I do here. I also have a friend who loves hanging out with me, but when we do, all she can do is bitch about her husband (who happens to be my oldest friend).

So we go out and grab some food, great. We talk about things like video games, Magic: The Gathering, or D&D, fine. But then they want to talk about things they know I don't care about, and I just get bored and want to go home. Oh, and I get car sick pretty easily. Not like barf-y style, but headache and tiredness pretty quickly. So I don't like to go far. Oh, and speaking of D&D, it can be really fun when we play. But oftentimes, we take frequent smoke breaks, and stray off-topic way too much. I can't really get into it about half the time because of it. And we'd end up staying up too late, and I'd have issues at work the next day due to lack of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFanta View Post
    I don't know, I've been like this ever since I was a kid, I just can't enjoy being somewhere and just standing there doing nothing but listening to inane things. Maybe I'm just being a pretentious asshole, but is there anyone else who experiences the same thing?
    I find it weird you're like this since you was a kid. But yeah, it's all more of the same, no long-term subjects, and specially nothing PRODUCED from it, only CONSUMED.
    You can't bring anything from those "SOCIALIZATIONS" to home. You don't make anything really useful. It's just spending time and resources for NOTHING.