15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.

Splashed out on a build

Hey all,
    So I recently configured a new pc (will link specs below), if you would be so kind I would like your advice/opinions on the system. I'm going to be using it for gaming and editing mostly ( also interested to know what kind of performance I will be getting, i.e fps on high/ultra and such). Also, if anyone has similar/identical build or parts would love to hear what you have to say. First real time I've invested this heavily so I'm pretty excited

Specs.
    Aerocool DS 200 Case - Black
    Intel Core i7 4790K Haswell Refresh Processor 4.0 GHz (Overclocked to up to 4.4GHz)
    Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid Cooler
    Asus Z97-A Motherboard - Haswell CPU only
    16GB Corsair/Crucial PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Graphics Card
    250GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drive
    3000GB 7200rpm Hard Disk - 6Gbps
    24x SATA DVD+/-RW Drive
    Corsair CX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified PSU
    Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI Express Sound Card
    300Mbps 802.11n Wireless PCIe Adaptor (for Wireless networks)
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Also what should be the first things I do when it arrives (apart from plug it in ), a tick off list of sorts?

Many thanks,
    -F

Deleted
    I find the choice of case questionable, as well as the AIO cooler choice. I'd also consider the possibility of getting the Crucial MX100 SSD in place of the Samsung EVO. Also, send that PSU back and get the RM650 instead.

Deleted
    I'm always curious why people ask for advice AFTER they bought their parts. It's not like you're new to the forum.

Granted there are no glaring issues besides a questionable power supply and some minor things I would have done differently, it's just the principle.

How is it overclocked already if it hasn't arrived? (Edit: Oh, I guess it's a pre-built system... nevermind that then, don't share how much paid for this!)
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-08-22 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    How is it overclocked already if it hasn't arrived? (Edit: Oh, I guess it's a pre-built system... nevermind that then)
    You can get CPU/Mobo/RAM bundles pre-built and overclocked by the likes of 3XS (Scan.co.uk) ready to just put into your PC.

I'm always curious why people ask for advice AFTER they bought their parts. It's not like you're new to the forum.
    Does seem a bit silly.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-08-22 at 01:41 PM.

Deleted
    Run Windows update.
    Install latest drivers.
    Install whatever security software you use.
    Install Chrome (or whichever browser is your choice)
    Install essential apps via ninite.com
    Set high performance profile under power options in Windows.

If you're not used to Windows 8.1 UI and want somethign simple to make it feel like Windows 7 UI you can use free classic shell

15+ Year Old Account
    Hi all, yeah it was pre built and overclocked so thats np. And regarding the case I just quite liked it minimalistic design, plus big enough for upgrades.
    So what's wrong with the psu and why opt for a 650 or lesser?

- - - Updated - - -

Run Windows update.
    Install latest drivers.
    Install whatever security software you use.
    Install Chrome (or whichever browser is your choice)
    Install essential apps via ninite.com
    Set high performance profile under power options in Windows.

If you're not used to Windows 8.1 UI and want somethign simple to make it feel like Windows 7 UI you can use free classic shell
    Thanks notarget! Yeah i intend on using classic shell . Just checked out your build looks slick

Deleted
    It's not so much about the wattage as it is about quality, higher wattage isn't equal better quality. The CX series units are just very hit and miss (miss as in frying your system), there are certainly worse OEM, brands, units out there though.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much about the wattage as it is about quality, higher wattage isn't equal better quality. The CX series units are just very hit and miss (miss as in frying your system), there are certainly worse OEM, brands, units out there though.
    haha i bloody hope not!!