Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    At the time of reading this post of when I clicked the thread, your post time is 13:01 and my computer clock says 13:00. Yer a wizard.

Anyway, yeah it's quite possible they treat Americans differently. Stockholm Syndrome is more than just befriending them though, infact it might even have nothing to do with being friends. It's more the whole your mind being fucked and then mistaking "not being beaten" for "them being kind to me" and from there, sympathizing and maybe even defending the actions and mindset of your captors.

I had the privilege when I was at school of them having a society set up where famous people would come in and talk. And I mean worldwide people not make shift celebrities, intellectuals rather than plastic people. An example was Sir Nick Scheele as he went to my school (he died in July, involved in British auto manufacturing). Anyway one of the guys who came in and did a talk for an hour was a guy called Terry Waite who was a British hostage negotiator in Lebanon, before he got held as a hostage himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Waite

He was held hostage for over 1700 days. He spoke about his time in captivity and battling Stockholm syndrome and the treatment that his captors gave him. I wish for the life of me I could remember more words that he said and phrases used to describe (this was like 3-4 years ago now) but my impressions and thoughts over such an issue are quite sculpted, I'd read about it before but hearing someone talk about it who experienced it was quite eye opening. Was far and away one of the most interesting talks we had.
    Interesting, 1700 days fuck that's along time. Wish people like that came to my school back in the days, would have made school days alot more fun.

And yes im a wizard plotting and planing my conquest of the internet

Giving them millions for one person only fuels them, and asks for more kidnappings.
    It's not viable on the long run.
    P.S.
    USA didnt fund ISIS/IS, enough of the BS posts, please...

Deleted
    Me too anyone who pays a ransom should be shot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I recently read a news article regarding the reporter who was executed by ISIS. In the article a family member (I believe the victims brother) stated that he hopes the US "seriously reconsiders its policy regarding negotiations with terrorists".

Why? Perhaps the people are so grief stricken that they would be willing to deconstruct another layer of US security of the general population just to save a family member. Don't get me wrong, I sympathize. What happened was disgusting, and the US needs to do something, but negotiations isn't the solution AT ALL. The SECOND we give terrorists a foot they're going to take a mile. Every captive we pay for funds them and makes them stronger, and more of a threat. More kidnappings will occur, until eventually it dries the coffers and we lose anyway. The exchange for the soldier that deserted is a prime example. There are now multiple terrorist leaders free to cause more mischief.

Giving in to terrorists is not the solution, its a problem. One for many is a tough (but necessary) lesson that we must abide by in these cases. Hard to swallow but the only way that we don't open ourselves up to even more issues in the future. The terrorists aren't doing this for their greed of money, they are doing it for the money to fund their terrorist operations.

We should be attempting to rescue captives/hostages with strategy and missions, not money directly to fund more of the same terrorism.
    I agree completely, and it pisses me off too whenever I hear people say we should just pay up.

Paying ransom is equal to funding terrorism and rewarding kidnapping. "Oh you caught a journalist? Well done, here's your reward"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    We can't send that message by bombing the shit out of them at random though, these guys are beyond Al-Qaeda and attacking them didn't exactly stop them until we cut the head off the snake.
    Bombing at random won't work, true that, if it means lots of civilian casualties that will give them sympathy among the civilians. But it was probably many years of targeted strikes at the various minor leaders of A-Q that broke them, and even making the Big Guy targetable. The command structure probably broke down over several years until OBL was isolated enough, and with a weak enough organization to make a strike possible.

But what do I know, maybe I've just played SoO too much lately and just thinking of this as a raid instance with the lieutenants having to be killed before the end boss becomes available

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    Bombing at random won't work, true that, if it means lots of civilian casualties that will give them sympathy among the civilians. But it was probably many years of targeted strikes at the various minor leaders of A-Q that broke them, and even making the Big Guy targetable. The command structure probably broke down over several years until OBL was isolated enough, and with a weak enough organization to make a strike possible.

But what do I know, maybe I've just played SoO too much lately and just thinking of this as a raid instance with the lieutenants having to be killed before the end boss becomes available
    That's what it is though, you have to break them down over time and weaken them. You can't eliminate, you just degrade them and slowly they lose all their power and fade into obscurity and they eliminate themselves as trying to force them out of existence just strengthens them. It took years to get anywhere with Al-Qaeda and they're still a threat just less of one than they used to. But we couldn't just charge in and do something meaningful, it took years of intelligence gathering and planning and smaller strikes. ISIS will be no different. You've got to wait for the right moment and then pounce, sometimes even create the opportunity by chipping away slowly and quietly.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Maybe if the US hadn't set up bases on Muslim Holy land and then stayed long after the job was done there wouldn't of been an 11/9 attack or a second gulf war that allowed IS to rise. I don't see why it disgusts you that people think you should negotiate with the very people your country (amongst others) gave rise to.