Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Server Recommendation?

So..... after two long long years I was finally able to get the game. But now I'm trying to decide what server to play on.

Unlike other MMOs, this decision is important here because I can't just make alts on other servers, whichever I pick is where I'm staying for good. And while normally server selection doesn't matter at all in PVE, it matters a lot in PVP due to the whole world vs world thingie.

I'd very much like to avoid being on a world who's on the receiving end of a zerg-fest all day long.

Anyone has any recommendations on servers that are good at the World vs World element?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Well the game uses "Megaservers" these days so there should be only one server per US/EU to roll to in the game.
    except Derah is asking for servers for WvW, which it does make a big difference.

and how does that works into the World vs World aspect?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    except Derah is asking for servers for WvW, which it does make a big difference.
    Exactly. I know that for PVE, essentially there's only one really big server divided by instances or something like that, but you can play with anyone, trade with anyone, join any guild etc.

But for PVP, in the world vs world, its specifically servers vs servers, and as far as I know, you can't just play for the other team. So I'm looking for inputs on which servers are good and/or dominant in World vs World. I really don't want to be on the receiving end of a zerg-fest all day long.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't say whether you want EU or NA, but for WvW you can look at server histories and see how they are moving through the ranks. As a general rule of thumb if you see a server rising they doing well in their matches.

NA - http://mos.millenium.org/na/matchups/histories
    EU - http://mos.millenium.org/eu/matchups/histories

(use the tick boxes in the bottom half of the page to isolate specific servers.)
    Valar morghulis

Your server still matters for PVE in a way since the megaserver system will match you with people from your server, guild or friends list first. PVE communities still exist to some degree. My server's community still has the same regular events it had before, even if it takes more prep to make sure everyone gets in for World Bosses.

As for WvWvW, are you EU or NA? If you're NA then tier 1 servers are the only way these days. That's Blackgate, Jade Quarry or Tarnished Coast. If you're EU then it's broken up by language and a bit different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    Your server still matters for PVE in a way since the megaserver system will match you with people from your server, guild or friends list first. PVE communities still exist to some degree. My server's community still has the same regular events it had before, even if it takes more prep to make sure everyone gets in for World Bosses.

As for WvWvW, are you EU or NA? If you're NA then tier 1 servers are the only way these days. That's Blackgate, Jade Quarry or Tarnished Coast. If you're EU then it's broken up by language and a bit different.
    Terrible advice, zed. We've got almost as many players in the field in Tier 6 as there is in Tier 1.

I would avoid Maguuma for an NA server. They've suffered from some guild drama and implosion recently, many guilds transferred off.
    Valar morghulis

You don't have as many WvWvW players in tier 6 as there are in tier 1. Come on now.

There's one tier that's healthy right now in NA region. Tier 2 blew up and tiers 3 and 4 are starting to follow. The aftermath of the season is going to be ugly. My server is between tier 3 and tier 4, and when it faces tier 6 (due to bad luck), it steamrolls that sort of server. The person was asking where they would not get zerged down. There's a ton of zergs in tier 1, but all sides have the zergs so you won't get so severely karma trained all week.

10+ Year Old Account
    You c'mon now. Map capacity is the same in T1 as it is in T6 and we are still hitting queues.

I think you forget that I played on T1 for a year and in just about every tier since. Over the course of the last couple months have been through 4 tiers alone. I would not recommend T2 to anyone due to Maguuma's mess and T1 (aside from being locked to Full) is just a meat grinder. Anything Silver is pretty golden right now.
    Valar morghulis

Yes I meant NA servers, my bad.

And having checked the link you sent Karizee, how do I tell which servers are tier 1, 2, 3, etc?

Checking the list, Kaineng seems like a good choice, since its WAY ahead of the curve against its two competitors by a long margin. What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Yes I meant NA servers, my bad.

And having checked the link you sent Karizee, how do I tell which servers are tier 1, 2, 3, etc?

Checking the list, Kaineng seems like a good choice, since its WAY ahead of the curve against its two competitors by a long margin. What do you think?

For NA the first 6 servers are T1 and T2
    The next 9 are Tiers 3, 4 + 5 <---Silver league, best servers imo.
    The final 9 are Tiers 6, 7 + 8

Kaineng: http://mos.millenium.org/servers/history/51

It would not be my first choice. One of the side effects of the glicko rating system is it is faster to rise than it is to fall. And as you can see the matchups change quite often in sub Gold and you should not make your decision on how they are performing against servers they are matched against this week.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2014-09-12 at 08:33 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Lots of NA peeps here, I am on EU Gandara. Have been on Gandara since game started and have liked it. We have enough people from different time zones to keep up wvw fights during all primetimes, but not so many people that you would need to wait in queues to get in wvw maps. We do have queues time to time, specially to Ethernal Battlegrounds (that is the map that doesnt "belong" to any server, unlike Borderland maps). Our wvw is active and server we face give chalenges, no face-roll overpower on either sides. (Note: I play wvw casually couple of times a week with guild / server TS group, so some hc player may have dif opinion about wvw situation.)

I would also like to remind you that you can swap server by deleting all your characters (your bank will not be deleted in this situation). When you have deleted all characters, you can re-select server. So if you are not sure about server and dont mind some character creation repeat at start, create your first character and check wvw situation / chat / feel on that server. If you do not like it delete character and create new to another server.

PS: sorry for any typos, I am writing this on phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another thing to consider is the culture of a server, some coordinate and work together better than others. Check server forums to find guilds and server communities you mesh with.

Remember, there is no "I WIN" button, no matter what tier you are in. Very very few servers have first place winning streaks more than a couple weeks long and a streak this season can lead to a fall from grace later.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post

I would also like to remind you that you can swap server by deleting all your characters (your bank will not be deleted in this situation). When you have deleted all characters, you can re-select server. So if you are not sure about server and dont mind some character creation repeat at start, create your first character and check wvw situation / chat / feel on that server. If you do not like it delete character and create new to another server.

PS: sorry for any typos, I am writing this on phone.
    =O can anyone confirm this? because the game tells me that the only way to change servers after making my choice is to purchase a server transfer (which I can't do. My country has no access to international currency, long story, took me YEARS to save enough money just to buy the game)

10+ Year Old Account
    =O can anyone confirm this? because the game tells me that the only way to change servers after making my choice is to purchase a server transfer (which I can't do. My country has no access to international currency, long story, took me YEARS to save enough money just to buy the game)
    It's been confirmed by the devs and done by players many times.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    From GW2wiki:
    Can I change servers?
    Yes. You can change your home world. There will be a limit of one such transfer every seven days per account; each transfer will cost 1,800 gems. After a transfer, all existing and future characters on your account will play in the new world. You can also delete all characters and it will allow you to transfer for free. Your gold, bank, achievement points and titles will not be affected if you delete all characters.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Freq...rvers.2FWorlds

Edit:Karizee so fast -_-

The price of transfers depends on the server pop.

Med pop = 1k, high pop = 1.4k, vhigh pop = 2.4k, full pop = can't do it.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Avoid SoS, garbage community
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/wvw

This shows you the current leaders in WvW

I was going to suggest Blackgate because they are usually at the top. It looks like Tarnished Coast is #1 right now though.

One thing to remember though is that in a better WvW server you may have a longer que to get into WvW.

The server I am on (Henge of Denravi) was #1 WvW server when the game first came out, but now it is 14. So your server you choose may not always be the best. I am guessing server ranking is at more of a plateau right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Pick TC, zito was here with me and he sucked .
    -Blackgate is known to be a very competitive wvw server that has done some shady stuff in wvw, they are also veeeeery competitive in other regards like PvE (they got NA first teq kill and then came TC, blackgate started insulting tc for being a non-official RP server).
    -Maguuma has got some latin americans (mainly chileans, but i dont like playing with people from my own country, i dislike the community).
    -SoS is kinda meh and grunchy.
    -JQ I got no clue, havent got much interaction with them.

-Fort aspenwood used to be quite strong on season 1, idk right now
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Ooo! Maybe I should go to Maguuma? I need to practice my spanish lol.