Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

-Blank Group- took down Battle.net...

A random twitter group took down battle.net just now. I'm pretty sure this isn't there first time. Why do people do stuff like this?

EDIT: The DDOS took some people down and left others unaffected. My friends and I got DC'd, and kicked off. Took about 2 minutes to get back on. But I'm not giving a "news update Bnet taken down for a minute" post. I'm asking why people would do stuff like this to big companies like WoW, if it leads to nothing but trouble and it doesn't really do much to a server.

EDIT 2: Took the name out and the link.
    Last edited by Shadowbathed; 2014-08-23 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbathed View Post
    The twitter group:

<link snipped>

Took down battle.net just now. I'm pretty sure this isn't there first time. Why do people do stuff like this?
    Because people like you give them the attention they want.

Moderator note: Don't include links in quotes if you disapprove. [ML]
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-08-23 at 07:46 AM.

Strange.. mine is still up and functioning...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    I'm more so asking, not about them specifically, but why people in general DDOS servers of big games. All it does is get them in trouble.

My Bnet is still up; I just restarted it and everything is fine; tells me that my dad is playing on Aerie Peak and is raiding Gates of Retribution right now. Seems like people just make up stuff for attention.

#Nothing to see here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiashunter View Post
    Strange.. mine is still up and functioning...
    It went down for a few minutes. My friends and I were kicked off our servers and we couldn't see mobs or anything. We had to wait about 2 minutes before they came back up.

Some hardcore guys right there.
    i9 9900K | Aorus Z390 Master | 32GB DDR4 | 2080 Ti | LG-UK650W

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    My Bnet is still up; I just restarted it and everything is fine; tells me that my dad is playing on Aerie Peak and is raiding Gates of Retribution right now. Seems like people just make up stuff for attention.

#Nothing to see here.
    No, the servers just went down for just a minute or two, but they did go down. Seems some were affected, others weren't.

Truth. Don't spread the name, don't spread the actions. They can't even keep these services down for more than 30 seconds, just restart WoW and continue. But please, stop giving them attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbathed View Post
    No, the servers just went down for just a minute or two, but they did go down. Seems some were affected, others weren't.
    Sargeras went down (US).
    You may not like my methods, but you'll surely know my name.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same reasons terrorists kill people, destroy buildings, and ruin the lives of all people touched by them.

They want to get a message across: that they exist and they matter, that they should be feared and noticed by all.

In the end, they are ants in the scope of a bigger world, lashing out at existence for giving them so little in the insignificant amount of time that they exist in the grand scope of the universe.

The only way to deal with terrorists and people like these are to never give them recognition, deny them the attention and eventually they cannot affect the world around them anymore (granted, Terrorists still can and will try at every opportunity, but acknowledging them gives them more fuel to do so).

But for little shits like this? They will fall into obscurity and be forgotten like Queen Mab.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2014-08-23 at 05:41 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I'll never understand why these guys won't do the internet world a massive favour and harass the crap out of kaceytron.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some stupid fucking kids who rented a botnet and are using it to take down game servers. Whatever.

Involuntary celibacy makes people do stupid things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    Involuntary celibacy makes people do stupid things.
    Very relevant avatar, sounds like something Krieger would say :P
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Makes sense. I was playing a HS match and it froze for a good 40+ seconds then resumed as normal.

Why do people DDOS people/servers? Simple. Usually for laughs or revenge. Sometimes for monies.

If a group is claiming to do it then clearly attention is the main goal.
    Stay salty my friends.

whats this lizard squad all about? back in my day we had hamsters running the servers. and they were GOOD. and they worked HARD. kids these days. where's my medicine.

Well, according to their Twitter they do it because:

"Hitting anything related to WoW is the funniest, people get enraged."

They find it funny, to enrage people who play WoW...wow.

Battle.net was only down for a couple of minutes. Each night they attacked. I was reading on Riot forums that they were down for hours.

Either way, I don't think these websites are large enough targets to get any authorities to care. I also believe the attacks are not coming from the United States. So, good luck getting another government to care about a US gaming website. And I think the Lizardsquad knows this, which is why they don't target high profile targets such as government websites or Google, or Amazon, Microsoft, etc..

I got disconnected once (Sargeras-US). Man this DDOS was almost as bad as logging in on a Wednesday night.
    You just lost The Game

The lizard squad...sounds scary.