Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Rolling Apparently Makes Fall Damage Survivable: #Ultimate Bouncy for Monks?

I was leveling up a monk, and had a friend shuttle me to various battle pet areas so I can fast track my way to 90. For whatever reason, I was accidentally kicked off his Sandstone Drake some 300ft over Tanaris, and I instinctively pressed 'tild' key (On my warrior, I have 'tild' set to Heroic Leap, which is my movement key), which activated roll. I hit the ground while rolling, and instantly fell to 1% HP but survived, and got the Going Down? achievement.

I just had my friend test this again, and same result: falls some 100+ ft, roll right before ground, instant 99% health damage but survives.

This a glitch?

10+ Year Old Account
    possible glitch. cant recall ever living because of roll. who knows though....the timing could have just been perfect. seems like a fluke though.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been heroic leaping on my warrior since it was first introduced, I fell off cliffs 500 feet down and stomped just fine without damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember trying the roll thing as a monk when falling, and still taking fall damage.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I was leveling up a monk, and had a friend shuttle me to various battle pet areas so I can fast track my way to 90. For whatever reason, I was accidentally kicked off his Sandstone Drake some 300ft over Tanaris, and I instinctively pressed 'tild' key (On my warrior, I have 'tild' set to Heroic Leap, which is my movement key), which activated roll. I hit the ground while rolling, and instantly fell to 1% HP but survived, and got the Going Down? achievement.

I just had my friend test this again, and same result: falls some 100+ ft, roll right before ground, instant 99% health damage but survives.

This a glitch?
    Are you a pandaren?
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    Yeh, you can usually charge on warrior when falling and not take any damage. Have not played my monk in years (lol?) so i don't know how roll works, but that constant 1% hp feels like a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Been heroic leaping on my warrior since it was first introduced, I fell off cliffs 500 feet down and stomped just fine without damage.
    Same here, which is why I think this is a problem with the ingame pathing. Though, technically, with Heroic Leap, you didn't actually fall from an fatal height: right before you hit the ground and use the ability, the game probably recalculates your starting position and thinks your only falling 10 feet from the postion you used the ability, therefore no fall damage. Perhaps the pathing issue is related to the rolling from fatal heights glitch I'm experiencing? (Both are movement based abilities that prevent fatal fall damage if used at exactly the right time).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    Are you a pandaren?
    Forsaken. /10char

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Same here, which is why I think this is a problem with the ingame pathing. Though, technically, with Heroic Leap, you didn't actually fall from an fatal height: right before you hit the ground and use the ability, the game probably recalculates your starting position and thinks your only falling 10 feet from the postion you used the ability, therefore no fall damage. Perhaps the pathing issue is related to the rolling from fatal heights glitch I'm experiencing? (Both are movement based abilities that prevent fatal fall damage if used at exactly the right time).

- - - Updated - - -

Forsaken. /10char
    Technically you don't fall....you fall then do a double jump then the ground jumps into you ;P.

But no I have not seen this happen before.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind if it is intended. Multiple classes can survive fall damage now.

Its not listed anywhere but I have used roll to survive falls on my monk.
    You still take damage just less.
    I usualy jump off the cliff on timeless isle after doing ordos on my monk. If I don't roll i die. If I roll I almost die

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    I wouldn't mind if it is intended. Multiple classes can survive fall damage now.
    I remember playing around with roll/FSK and the pandaren Bouncy passive during MoP beta. I remember back then that Bouncy worked a different way. Instead of reducing fall damage by 50% it made it so that you cannot take fall damage bigger than 50% of your hp. I remember trying to survive long falls from the sky with Roll and FSK but I don't remember the result.

And I am unable to test it now, sadly.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you use that cloud glyph, it prevents fall damage. Your welcome :}
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried this unglyphed, non-pandaren and died. Unless it's my Australian latency that prevented me from doing this I'm not too sure. However, didn't work for me. So I would assume it was a glitch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I just tested this in Beta. Naked, on a Draenei, I flew up next to the spirit resser outside Shatt. I then hopped onto a flying mount and went straight up to the top of the zone (where the mount starts complaining it cannot go any higher). At which point I Expelled harm to dismount. when I was less than a second from the ground, I tried rolling, and actually moved a half-a-roll distance before it registered I died from fall damage.

This entire thread is just a ruse to get skeptics to kill themselves for the enjoyment of the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weriik View Post
    This entire thread is just a ruse to get skeptics to kill themselves for the enjoyment of the OP.
    Exactly this. It does not work under normal circumstances... apart from some strange situations maybe.

This seems to be a big (but quite good) attempt to troll

Blink, heroic leap, shadowstep and disengage all make fall damage survivable. Honestly can't remember if Roll does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

A bit off topic, but you will usually get dismounted for a second when riding someone else's mount over a zone border due to cross-realm. If the person carrying you stops moving the moment he sees you disappearing and then waits for you to appear on his mount again, you won't actually dismount.

But I refuse to die to your humanoid experiment! It's probably just a glitch. Has anyone tried the windwalker charge for this purpose by the way, or is it just the same as with roll?

It's likely a bug. Roll doesn't help fall damage. I've done it a few times and still died. Just a fluke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Blink, heroic leap, shadowstep and disengage all make fall damage survivable. Honestly can't remember if Roll does.
    Those work because they change your position and the game recalculates falling damage taken from your new position. Roll is just a brief, huge movement speed boost with forced movement added on for the duration, so it doesn't cause the game to do that recalculation.