I'm having a problem with a bug called v9 (tried everything I could think of or find)

I'd like to see if somebody can help me with this problem, I recently got the bug/malware/whatever it is v9 on my computer, I looked up just about every way to remove it and although I am in a slightly better position it will still re-direct me to its download sites.

I have done all of the following
    1.Removed the link from google chrome properties
    2.Uninstalled any suspicious programs from my control panel
    3.Removed it from the Google Chrome extensions
    4.Removed it from Google Chrome Search Engine
    5.Did scans and malware removal with all of the following programs
    -AVG
    -Hitman Pro
    -Malwarebyte-Anti Malware
    6.Deleted all browsing history and restored settings to default
    7.Uninstalled and then reinstalled google chrome.

After all this I will still occasionally get a redirect when clicking to go to a new page.

Any ideas on what to do further? I'd really rather not resort to completely wiping everything from my computer, that is a pain and will take more time than I have to spare right now, but it's my absolute last case scenario.

If you're running the gauntlet and you're still getting remnants coming back, you need to reformat. Even if you manually remove it, I'd still refrain from typing in any passwords or accessing sensitive accounts like banking and credit cards.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    If you're running the gauntlet and you're still getting remnants coming back, you need to reformat. Even if you manually remove it, I'd still refrain from typing in any passwords or accessing sensitive accounts like banking and credit cards.
    I'm currently avoiding any of that (I'll need to do more transactions within a week, but I won't use my main CPU for that for now). From what I found out about v9 is that the reason it's so hard to remove is that it isn't actually malware, it's just an unwanted program that hides in downloads for certain material. It'll change your primary search engine, it'll redirect you when on websites to one that will automatically start downloading a program if you don't exit out quickly, and apparently you have to remove absolutely every little remnant of it otherwise it'll still function.

7+ Year Old Account
    You may also want to give Superantispyware a shot. I have (on two occasions) had it find something Malwarebytes missed. If the combination of Malwarebytes and Superantispyware together don't remove it, then put a fork in it because it's done. You'll need to reformat.

Also, some way these things "hide" and reinstall themselves after a reboot is very simple. They just put themselves in the startup folder, either under C:\programdata or C:\users. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup or C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-08-23 at 09:12 PM.

Yeah, try the program above and use the "remove unwanted apps" option under "tools" and see what happens.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

You need to also remove it from your browser shortcuts.
    Right-click IE shortcut in start menu or anywhere else you regularly launch it from and check the "Target" field of the shortcut.

For Firefox and Chrome check the Pages to open at startup (look through options for each, the option doesn't have the same description but you'll recognize it)

rootkit scan NPE
    malwarebytes has a rootkitscan
    kaspersky might aswell.

run/msconfig turn off every starting program; services tab check hide microsft servcies then turn all the other services off
    ccleaner
    malwarebytes
    download and use the norton 30day trial or the trend micro
    rootkit scan after that
    can try "Adwcleaner"
    go into all your browsers and clear out the home page and reset them; uninstall extensions and manage the addons. clear cache and history
    google the name of the virus and try some well known sites and there suggestions. malware byte forums. bleepingcomputer.com seems to be helpful.

after all that the next advice is to nuke it with a cleran install.....transfer data(don't forget to virus scan it) then nuke away.

- - - Updated - - -

also can use Revo Uninstaller to unistall all malware/adware programs you have installed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend doing a system restore to before you got the virus, see if that fixes it. Quick and painless way to solve most malware issues.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    I would recommend doing a system restore to before you got the virus, see if that fixes it. Quick and painless way to solve most malware issues.
    ...that's the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum. The first thing you do when you get a virus is TURN OFF system restore, and delete all restore points. This is very important because viruses will intentionally use system restore to restore themselves after they are removed by anti-malware programs. You ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure the system is clean before re-enabling system restore. I've never seen a case of a virus where it didn't immediately infect all of the restore points and use those to restore itself.

Please don't give advice on here if you don't know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2014-08-24 at 01:15 AM.

Spybot Search and Destroy quite often picks up things others miss too (and it misses things that Malwarebytes picks up so I always run both of those)