Elemental Shaman Mastery - Issues Moving and Switching Targets

Hello, posting here in hopes for information. We are a Heroic raiding guild comprised of people 8-13/14H. This issue is in regards to Elemental Shaman and their Mastery.

The Issue: Our current Elemental Shaman has major issues with Mastery procs of spells causing his character to be unmovable until the procs end (extremely noticeable w/ hero up) and also has issues tab targeting (most noticeably H Malk adds).

When he tab targets to hit an add, he can not cast new spells onto the add until the Mastery procs from the initial Boss damage spam stop, at that point he can finally start casting on the add.

These are usually about 2 seconds for both movement and add switching.

So is this normal for Heroic Raiding Elemental Shamans?
    Last edited by Ryuhai; 2014-08-24 at 05:37 PM.

No, its not. If he told you that's what is happening, he's lying, else he's just being slow about switching. Mastery would not cause that at all(it is automatically done by the game)

Sounds more like he/she is giving excuses as to why they cannot down adds fast enough. Although target switching for Ele Shaman is hard because your big damage spell requires FS which is on a shared CD, to do its max damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

Deleted
    There is two sides too this.

It is true that Mastery procs don't switch targets quickly. This can mean that for possibly as much as 2 seconds after target switching (if you include Multi-Strike procs too) an Elemental Shaman can continue to throw spells at a target they have already switched from. This can cause issues on Heroic Nazgrim during defensive stance, because an Ele Shaman only has 2 choices. Stop casting 2 seconds early or hope for no procs. As such, he is partially right in saying there can be a delay in a full transfer of all your DPS to a new target.

However, others are right in pointing out this has absolutely no effect on the spells you actually cast yourself, or on your ability to move. Those Mastery procs will still fire even if you are moving, and as such they don't prevent you from target switching or somehow root you too the ground for any amount of time. The 'especially during Hero' part does indeed make it seem like he is just not wanting to move to maximise DPS and making excuses, but I would venture that maybe it is a misunderstanding with his class, and that he thinks he can only be moving when his character is no longer casting spells, which is not the case, and maybe rather than calling out a lie straight away some learning is required on the part of your Shaman friend.

Mastery is completely passive and has literally no effect on target switching, nor does it prevent you from casting spells for any reason. Your shaman is either screwing with you, lying or just has poor understanding of Elemental.

Edit: Undefetter brings up a good point. It's possible this person thinks that if he switches targets or moves while the extra spells from mastery are proccing that they'll be lost/interrupted. You can assure him that this is not the case and I'd also suggest you encourage him to read up a bit on Elemental if this is indeed the cause of his statements.
    Last edited by Slappyjoe; 2014-08-24 at 06:18 PM.

H malkorok he should just cleave the adds down with CL anyways, no point in targetswapping.

Yeah I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they are lying.
    Mastery and proc mechanics can be a bit cryptic. Lots of players probably pay little attention to the interaction, since it is indeed passive.

As for handling multiple adds, the shaman should just use Chain Lit for 3+ targets. Maybe throw a Flame shock dot on each add if possible. I like to use EarthShock as well when its up, since it procs a ton when you're using Chain Lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Torus View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they are lying.
    Mastery and proc mechanics can be a bit cryptic. Lots of players probably pay little attention to the interaction, since it is indeed passive.
    Proc mechanics can be confusing, but there is no issue where you are unable to switch targets because of mastery. As soon as you finish casting or your GCD finishes, you're able to switch and begin casting anew. Either this shaman is exaggerating, or lagging extremely hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuhai View Post
    Hello, posting here in hopes for information. We are a Heroic raiding guild comprised of people 8-13/14H. This issue is in regards to Elemental Shaman and their Mastery.

The Issue: Our current Elemental Shaman has major issues with Mastery procs of spells causing his character to be unmovable until the procs end (extremely noticeable w/ hero up) and also has issues tab targeting (most noticeably H Malk adds).

When he tab targets to hit an add, he can not cast new spells onto the add until the Mastery procs from the initial Boss damage spam stop, at that point he can finally start casting on the add.

No definitely not normal. When spamming his LB or LvB on a Single Target add for any given amount of time, it is true that if he suddenly stops his mastery will continue proc'ing LB or LvB spells. Sometimes it will keep proc'ing , 3, 4 more spells. What I think is happening which was mentioned already is he's thinking if he moves these will stop and he will lose damage. Not True. Switch targets when he should be
    switching targets and go off on the other add he's targeted. It may take a couple seconds as his mastery is finishing up proc'ing but in no way will these INSTANT proc's keep him from not moving or tab targetting and letting more spells rip on his new target.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuhai View Post

I would say there with almost certainty there is something lost in translation here... I cannot believe that what you have typed out is actually what he was saying, and I would assume you have misunderstood his meaning.

An example of this is that he has switched, and u are calling him out for continuing to dps, however that is just the left over mastery procs and he is trying to explain to u that that is not him still casting, but is infact just hte procs happening later. << this is the scenario i envisage in my head leading to his misunderstanding.

Deleted
    This is the most ridiculous excuse for retardness and lack of skill I ever heard.

Deleted
    Wow, that's a dumb excuse. Sure there's a delay for overload procs, but it doesn't prevent movement, casting or target switching at all.