Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lone Wolf Talent

Hello!

I am wanting to come back and play in WoD and main my Hunter again but the only reason I want to play my Hunter is because of the Lone Wolf talent. What I am wanting to know is, is this talent just here to in a sense please people? Or is it actually going to be viable in being good DPS within a raid group or is BM still going to trump and lone wolf will get left behind? Thoughts?

Lone wolf is already left behind utility and dps wise sadly enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shisui-kun View Post
    Utility wise? I thought you still got one buff from your chosen pet? And DPS wise? hmm, hopefully they buff it. Regardless, I am playing Lone Wolf.
    Last edited by Quirin; 2014-08-25 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirin View Post
    Utility wise? I thought you still got one buff from your chosen pet? And DPS wise? hmm, hopefully they buff it. Regardless, I am playing Lone Wolf.
    yap you still get the choice between all buffs minus multistrike/versatility
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirin View Post
    I will play with lone wolf only because I've always wanted to be an archer. Not a ranger, not a hunter, an archer.

My hunter is my 'flavor' class so I can play with sub optimal talents and not care
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

A single raid buff is not enough utility, going Lone Wolf means losing Master's Call and Roar of Sacrifice as well as the other benefits of having a pet. It will be unusable in PvP, and lag behind in PvE

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP is something I don't really care for. I think if I ever cared about PvP/got into it, BM would be the choice. Or just using a pet. But you're right Orangetai420, I will still play it because I want to be an Archer. I just hope it doesn't lag to far behind in DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by squid View Post
    A single raid buff is not enough utility, going Lone Wolf means losing Master's Call and Roar of Sacrifice as well as the other benefits of having a pet. It will be unusable in PvP, and lag behind in PvE
    Lagging behind in PvE is tuning, and that isn't fully done yet. Whats to say they won't nerf the other talents, and buff Lone Wolf?
    The damage could also be worth it over utility in PvP. Depends on tuning.

Saying that it will 100% certain lag behind isn't given.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightspear View Post
    Lagging behind in PvE is tuning, and that isn't fully done yet. Whats to say they won't nerf the other talents, and buff Lone Wolf?
    The damage could also be worth it over utility in PvP. Depends on tuning.

Saying that it will 100% certain lag behind isn't given.
    In it's current state, it will simply lag behind for both PvP and PvE. The other talents aren't that strong, but still come way ahead of LW. Not to mention the loss of Master's call and RoS and certain pet utility like MS debuff. If it's worse damage wise AND utility wise, why would you take the talent?

I plan to use Lone Wolf, but just because I like to go petless. I do fear I'll abandon the talent at some point because it won't compete with the others in the row.

First, Lone Wolf gives you no AoE damage bonus.
    Second, you lose utility as Lone Wolf.
    Third, you lose access to Master's Call and several talents (among them, Blink Strikes and Spirit Bond, which are arguably the best ones on their repective rows).

Yes, you get a bonus to single-target damage, and you can still provide a single raid buff (and BTW, unlike someone said above, LW does give access to all raid buffs, including Versatility and MUltistrike). But for Lone Wolf to compete with other talents in its row it needed a small buff to Multishot and access to a petless version of Master's Call. Also, about the Talents we lose due to Lone Wolf, they should either get petless versions or the other talents in their rows need to be balanced (SPECIALLY level 45 row).

Deleted
    Lone Wolf is strictly a PVE talent. Going into PVP without a pet, no matter the spec, means giving up Roar of Sacrifice, Master's Call as well as a good tool to keep stealthers in combat if they have cc-ed you and are running away to restealth or drinkers from regaining mana behind a corner. Needless to say that if you do that you're a mor...um...you have a very large margin for improvement.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't been up on Warlock stuff, but how is it any different than Grimoire of Sacrifice for them? A lot of top-tier Warlocks seem to use that. I think they'll be able to tune Lone Wolf to be viable in PvE.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I haven't been up on Warlock stuff, but how is it any different than Grimoire of Sacrifice for them? A lot of top-tier Warlocks seem to use that. I think they'll be able to tune Lone Wolf to be viable in PvE.
    VERY different.

Warlocks do not rely on their pets so much as hunters. Warlock pets provide specialized abilities (interrupt, CC, dispel) and some damage. Warlock's raid utility is not tied to their pets. Grimoire of Sacrifice compensates pet loss by giving you more damage, providing you one of your pet's abilities and giving you health regeneration to increase your survivability. Notice these last two, which are absent in Lone Wolf, and that Warlock talents that are related to the pet have alternate functions that allows them to function with GoSac.

Deleted
    PvPwise every hunter will use Frozen Ammo. No question about. Focused shoot is the worst talent on the row for PvP. Then it comes Lone Wolf with the silver medal. Still i can see it quite useful for, lets say, 3vs3 arenas and BGs/RBGs where your kill target will have slow effect one way or another and could be the choice for MM spec if the spec becomes a thing in WoD PvP. I believe Rapid fire bonuses for MM + the raw 30% damage increase should be beneficial enough to be a valid PvP choice even tho the shitty mastery which is sounds awkward for PvP . Still strictly talking for 3vs3 of course and RBGs. Yes you will lose the slow/root dispel and the 20% dmg reduction, but in the specific pvp areas i pointed, you should have a healer and/or paladin/warrior or whatever to give you that dispel/damage reduction

Now PvEwise that is too damn another story. I haven't logged in beta realm since the last 2 builds and i have no idea what is changed. Exotic munitions is interesting talent. Still i see it very good for SV, more than for the other two specs since all the damage is elemental. For MM i dont see use at all. Even for AoE. 20% of autoshoot damage?!? Come on really? You will do a lot more damage with multishoot as MM.

Overall i dont know what are people so worried abotu that Lone Wolf. I personaly think people should be more concerned with the level 75 row when you use Lone Wolf. Two of the choices are becoming pointless, or even more accurately said contradicting with the Lone Wolf idea, aka Blink strikes and Stampede, and the last one, Murderer of Crows, is too awkward. Would be nice if then can think of something that could change the tallents on that row when you select Lone Wolf, so the row can be more adequate to the concept of Lone Wolf.

Many cents. Much thoughts. WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Deithy View Post
    Would be nice if then can think of something that could change the tallents on that row when you select Lone Wolf, so the row can be more adequate to the concept of Lone Wolf.
    Or even change just change the talents for SV and MM, considering both Blink Strikes and Stampede are more tailored to BM (seeing as they involve pets).

~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shisui-kun View Post
    Lone Wolf / Adaptation is currently simming to be the best DPS talent. Just saying.

I think all we can hope for now is number tuning. I doubt they are going to change any of the mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was so stoked for Lone Wolf until they brought out Exotic Munitions. Going to be a tough choice if they give it a proper tune up. The idea of being petless is sexy but then so is swapping out my ammo on the fly for a given situation...hrm.

I'm not touching Focusing Shot with a ten-foot pole :/ I don't care what the #s are on that slab of blandness.

Quote Originally Posted by Conjor View Post
    Lone Wolf / Adaptation is currently simming to be the best DPS talent. Just saying.
    And yet Adaptation increases single target and multi target damage, as well as utility and survivability. Lone Wolf only increases single target damage and removes utility and talent options. They should be balanced between each other.

I could see a very small multi-shot/serpent sting buff on Lone Wolf, but couldn't be the 30% as with the other skills or it would be the only option for anything AoE based, as obviously the pet doesn't contribute to true AoE for MM/SV, though it's damage still isn't irrelevant.

Definitely looking forward to the talent either way when I start up again...
    Main - Spirál - Hunter