Page 1 of 2
LastLast

About expansion's content.

Since i started playing this game 3 years ago, i noticed you cant really enjoy all the content each expansion has to offer, unless the current one.

After seeing this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39UyBYzQMsg i realized im not the only who sees it the way i see.

My question is, WHAT IF, you could only go to the ''next expansion'' after you at least killed the main boss of the expansion you are playing at ?

Like, you couldnt go to Northrend unless you killed Illidan, so you could follow the story line, and not be confused like the video shows. To kill Illidan, you would need to farm burning crusade itens, and fully enjoy all that Outland has to offer, before you go Nothrend. This way, the main cities of each expansion would still be full with people, and not like our reality, where you have empty Shatrath, Dalaran, even Stormwind in my server is empty.

What do you guys think ? I hope i made my self clear. English is not my main language, sorry for any mistakes.

Great idea to get new customers...... I see what you are getting at, but wouldn't support this at all. Would be nice though if there was a way Blizzard let you experience old content storywise in one way or another, but you can't force people who bought the expansion to first play through everything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Great idea to get new customers...... I see what you are getting at, but wouldn't support this at all. Would be nice though if there was a way Blizzard let you experience old content storywise in one way or another, but you can't force people who bought the expansion to first play through everything else.
    It would be counter-productive to new customers as it would further put up barriers between them and existing players. It's hard enough to bring in new customers with this amount of expansions and levels, it would make it even worse.

It would change the game entirely, they'd likely lose a huge chunk of subs. If it was a new game maybe it could work, but in the current state it's completely counter-productive to what blizzard are trying to do and what the playerbase wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozez View Post
    It would be counter-productive to new customers as it would further put up barriers between them and existing players. It's hard enough to bring in new customers with this amount of expansions and levels, it would make it even worse.

The thing is, there would be ''existing players'' at their zone too. Lots of other people trying to get through the expansion.

It would be counter-productive to new customers
    All 30 of them.

It would change the game entirely, they'd likely lose a huge chunk of subs. If it was a new game maybe it could work, but in the current state it's completely counter-productive to what blizzard are trying to do and what the playerbase wants.
    Uhuh, that first sentence was me being sarcastic

If a person is confused about a storyline, they already have the option of going back themselves and doing the content. They shouldn't be forced to do it.

So force people into raids when only a small percentage of the playerbase does ACTUAL raiding, as in not LFR...?

No, it would not be good. People with an interest in the story are free to go back and see it, or see it as they level up if they make friends that can boost them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Condemner View Post
    Uhuh, that first sentence was me being sarcastic
    Oh, that makes sense now. I probably should have been a bit less blunt :L.

I do think one of wows issues is that it struggles to bring new players in, it's very rare that I meet players who are new to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GerdaroThePandaren View Post
    Since i started playing this game 3 years ago, i noticed you cant really enjoy all the content each expansion has to offer, unless the current one.

My question is, WHAT IF, you could only go to the ''next expansion'' after you at least killed the main boss of the expansion you are playing at ?
    Short answer: it's fucking stupid idea

Longer answer: you can still experience most of the content, all quests (do you have loremaster or are you hypocrite?) and all instances later soloed, many of the raids too.

If you can't figure out why it's bad idea think of it this way: A person walks into a car dealer with a stack of cash and wants to buy a new car because it's safer, more fuel economic and more fun to drive... But because there's this braindead law that forces you to get a model "T" Ford first you need to use until you've driven on every road of your country, then you can buy a new(er) car from 30's you have to use until you've again driven it on every road and so on... What's the fucking point in it? If people aren't interested in old shit and want to use their money on this year's model, let them. They'll miss many classics but maybe they aren't even interested in those, ever thought of that?

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Short answer: it's fucking stupid idea

Longer answer: you can still experience most of the content, all quests (do you have loremaster or are you hypocrite?) and all instances later soloed, many of the raids too.

If you can't figure out why it's bad idea think of it this way: A person walks into a car dealer with a stack of cash and wants to buy a new car because it's safer, more fuel economic and more fun to drive... But because there's this braindead law that forces you to get a model "T" Ford first you need to use until you've driven on every road of your country, then you can buy a new(er) car from 30's you have to use until you've again driven it on every road and so on... What's the fucking point in it? If people aren't interested in old shit and want to use their money on this year's model, let them. They'll miss many classics but maybe they aren't even interested in those, ever thought of that?
    why are you being so mean? seriously, OP had an idea and shared. its not my favorite idea either but jeez dude you are being mean about it for no reason at all.

The real solution is to just make LFR or 5 man versions of all old content, and let levels scale so people can "enjoy" content at any level, and give them rewards for it. Shouldn't be forced, should only be optional. IIRC, the basic back bone for this to work is already in place, it's just the making LFR/5-man versions of old content that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    So, the experience from playing a game = the experience from driving a car?

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    why are you being so mean? seriously, OP had an idea and shared. its not my favorite idea either but jeez dude you are being mean about it for no reason at all.
    Because I saw the same "idea" suggested last week and the week before that etc... And it's always with the same results. People who don't check previous threads (before reposting incredibly stupid suggestions) deserve to get blunt response.

Still think it's for no reason at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellbert View Post
    So, the experience from playing a game = the experience from driving a car?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant... with a parable...

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a bad idea as it further segregates players from each other. For instance, a new player would have to grind through old raids before allowing them to move into newer content means that new players couldn't play with friends who have been in the game longer.

While it might make content last "longer", it wouldn't seem to be more "enjoyable".
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant... with a parable...
    Nice idiosyncrasy bro, lol.

On topic, I don't think its a good idea. People will cry about how they can't enjoy the game the way they want with their hard earned money, how the game disregards the majority of its player base by catering some elitist jerks, yeah, the people who play wow but don't want to raid. LOL!

Expected from a guy with Pandaren in the name.

Fanbase will destroy the game, not the haters.
    Everyone having an Artifact equals nobody having one.

Deleted
    Though being forced to run old raids wouldn't be much fun for new players, I think a lot of people would like to be able to replay old content, and not in a watered down way where you've got a bunch of max levels who are there for transmog gear and the whole thing is a faceroll.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    Because he's a fanboy and what OP suggested sounded too much like legacy servers. OOPS I SAID IT.

It's a good idea OP but man, the forums on WoW general would go nuts.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Most people don't raid. And most of those people have zero interest in raiding whatsoever. You would quite literally be forcing people to do something they have zero interest in just to play a new expansion's content. That they will have paid for...

Awful idea.
    I highly doubt that most people don't raid as they continually have gone out of their way to make raiding easier for more and more people. If people didn't raid and wanted more to do, we'd be seeing that. As we're not, the far easier conclusion to jump to is, they do raid, in increased numbers. Sure, 90%+ of people aren't killing everything on Heroic, but they're sure as heck not avoiding raids either.

I don't agree with OP with gating expansions, but I seriously think they need to stop with the catch up mechanics and hand holding. Hand holding is fine, for the beginning while you're learning, but not through the whole game. Past level 40 tops, you should be able to figure things out without Blizzard holding your hand and guiding you. Ditch the catch up mechanics while we're at it. Make the content actually relevant again for the entire length of an expansion, not just 1 patch then, boom, useless as soon as the next patch comes out with it's tons of catch up mechanics to trivialize all new content. It's been that way since Cata and has only gotten worse each expansion.

Sure, TBC and WotLK had some gear catch up mechanics, but not many. You actually still have to go do previous tier content. That meant, there was always something to do. Back in those days, there were guilds in every instance. Some were hardcore and pushed forward to the cutting edge. Others took their time and worked gradually up, actually experiencing the content.

In the end, it's not the fault of the expansions, it's the fault of Blizzard for making all that content useless as soon as another patch drops. Hand everything to the players and what do the players really have left to strive for? Nothing.