New modest-budget GPU recommendations (GTX 760?)

Hi all,

Just looking for advice to more or less confirm I'm shopping for the right card. Play WoW mainly and address my backlog during content downtimes (like now). I'm running an AMD 6790 which is really starting to show its age in this setup:

i7-2600 (3.4 GHz)
    12 GB RAM, 1333
    90 GB SSD (Corsair Force 3) + 1 TB HDD
    OCZ 700W PSU
    Win 7-64

It's a prebuilt Dell XPS 8300 but slightly modded with the PSU and SSD. The card was the weak point when I bought the PC, so I grabbed the PSU a while ago knowing I'd eventually change the GPU. I know it's not top-of-the line, but am trying to buy a couple of more years out of this rig, ideally at the upper-midrange level. Budget ~250$. I'd prefer going back to Nvidia, and think the GTX 760 could do the job for me. I will not throw my PC out the window if I can't run ultra at 60 fps at all times.

Now if you were in my shoes, would you:

a) wait for the rumored new 800's next month (any planned in the ~250$ range?);
    b) wait for the new 800's for a price drop on the 760 (770 if prices drop a fair bit);
    c) pick another card entirely.

I'm in no immediate rush, but would like to have the new card in time for WoD. Thanks for any advice!

New cards are supposed to come out in September, waiting until then is definitely a wise course of action. Its not quite clear yet which new models will be released, but at the very least it'll make the prices drop for the older ones.

Caved in and got an EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked today for pretty cheap (215 vs 300 regular going price CAN). Hadn't seen it that low, and am telling myself that even once the 800's out the price wouldn't likely drop that low unless it was for a sale.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have the same card and it does great in all of the games I play, good choice.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now I just hope I don't have any issues with it posting BIOS. Apparently there were issues with Dell's BIOS and the 600's in the past (with a specific VBIOS that was later fixed), and I get nervous upgrading a pre-built.

My next will be self-built, but at the time the deal I got on this one was too good to pass up (broke student then), and with the GTX 760 it should easily last me another couple years.

I'll post my results once I get it.

Got it today, running perfectly!