14/14h Raider Rerolling for Wod. First time healer. Have some MW Questions.

Greetings,

I am a 14/14h raider currently playing a Prot Warrior. I have never healed as my main role before and I think it's something I should try. I have been tanking for the past 2 expansions doing every tier as a main tank. So I think I am overdue for a makeover.

Mistweaver monks seem very interesting. I have tried a bit of resto druid on my off time but you can't really compare live to WOD because of the healing changes and what not. As it stands it also seems like there is a lot of set up time (Which is fine), when we are looking to heal a large amount of people through uplift spam, but they seemed to have capped it at 6 people and then uplifts begins to diminish. Looking through my logs it seems that on live Uplift seems to be doing the majority of the healing our MW is doing; Along with Renewing Mists of coarse.

Chi Explosion seems like the nuts on paper but I am not sure since I can't really find numbers anywhere but from a few streams it seems like healing 5 mans isn't an issue but we are still at the bottom when it comes to the raid setting.

Despite all of these issues, I think I still want to play one, since they look really, really fun. I don't really know if practicing on live will do me any good either due to healing changes being so drastic. I am not looking to the be number one healer in my raid group. I just want a class that is easy to pick up, hard to master (Though not impossible. :P)

So Monk community, riddle me this: Is Mistweaver a good class to pick up as my first real attempt at healing real content? Should I look elsewhere?

Really appreciate any help.

Monk healers are likely going to be the last chosen for any sort of serious progression raiding. Our healing relies too much on RNG to be reliable. Every other healer has the capability to control their heals where we do not. While we have the capacity to be incredible stack healers, if your raid needs to spread, you're going to be useless just because of the mechanical issues of the ReM/Uplift pair. Chi Explosion looks insane on paper because it hasn't been working as intended. It won't be such when WoD goes live, I assure you. As far as I am aware, Holy Priest, Resto Druids, and Holy Paladins are are much better choices than MW if you're actually wanting to be included in your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by bertiebear View Post

So Monk community, riddle me this: Is Mistweaver a good class to pick up as my first real attempt at healing real content? Should I look elsewhere?
    No, in fact it is by far the most convoluted healing spec in the game with pitfalls and traps all over the place that look like good ideas on the surface but in reality you have to do something completely different that may or may not even make a lot of sense.

Current beta status aside, the spec itself is riddled with things that the design team inserted into the spec in an attempt to make MW unique, but most of them have turned out to be disasters. The mastery is literally the worst mastery in the entire game (even from a purely mathematical standpoint), Uplift is more confusing and frustrating than it is fun (that great moment when you want to save people in Group 3 but ReM decided not to go to them so you no longer have any tool to heal them), and fistweaving in general has been swiftly demolished every time it approaches anything that could be considered useful.

On live MW is fairly easy to pick up (if you know how to press ReM and Uplift), but in beta it doesn't make any sense. There are 5+ buttons to heal people within 8 yards of your character, but only one button to heal multiple people outside that range. Enveloping Mist is supposed to be the "greater heal" of MW, but is grossly inefficient if you don't continue to channel Soothing Mist on the target for the next 6 seconds. If you want to heal people that are right next to you, you'd think Chi Explosion is supposed to be good but it's actually not and typically more efficient to dump chi on Uplift or Enveloping Mist instead and continue spamming Rushing Jade Wind.

If you want something that's easy to pick up and hard to master, MW is not it. It's more like difficult to pick up and impossible to actually master because many elements are RNG based. You'd really be better off playing a Resto Druid or a Holy Priest, as those are both pretty easy to figure out what it is you're supposed to do, but also have a lot of nuances with HoTs and positional heals for good players to distinguish themselves.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its also very difficult, on live, to prove that you're doing what you are supposed to, as Disc Priests, H Pallys, and Resto Shaman's smart heals and absorbs get there way before MW heals which are mostly dumb heals (other than eminence). This makes it very hard to show up on the meters and feel good that you're doing what your supposed to.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Do yourself a favor, do not roll a MW monk as your main if you plan to do mythic. If you want to know why just read back the last few pages of the WoD MW thread. The spec is practically dead unless major mechanical changes happen between now and release (there wont be) or they buff something so hard it becomes utterly broken OP (in which case it will get fixed asap with no balance given to accommodate)
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2014-08-26 at 12:28 AM.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    As a fairly practised MW, I'm sad to see that we're gonna have a bit of a though time in WoD compared to the other classes when it comes to pure healing output. However I would never consider to change my class anyway since I think Mistweaver is the most fun spec I've ever played (and I've played all classes). However it is a fairly complicated spec to begin with so if I were you I wouldn't start with it as a first time healer. I would recommend druid or shaman. And when you're bored with them, sink your teeth into the goodiness that is the mistweaver spec! It is by far the quirkiest healer, but it really rewards you if you learn it well. And you really have to master it to be in par with the other healers specs, but damn you'll have so much more fun with it than they will! There are some really promising changes in WoD and I'm very excited for it. Hopefully we'll just be a little more buffed up so we can beat those other classes!

Deleted
    hey im a 7/7 8/8 11/11 hc raider and think you should play resto druid !

People are rerolling from mistweaver and you want to play one? You def mad. Mistweavers are probably the last choice for you then, they are also last picked for raiding content cause of no cooldowns etc. Paladins have great cooldowns but they are either at the bottom or top of healing, i recommend any of the other 3. (From being a healer in since 2005)

It is too bad because a Monk is a very fun class to play I like the mobility and feel of it it is just too bad that the numbers we generate in MW can be pennies to what any other healer can put out. I would agree with the rest though that MW monks in live and WOD are not the desired class to roll if your interested in being on the front end of progression.

I think a lot of people above are just jumping on a bandwagon and judging mistweavers in their current state.
    The raiding scene will change in Mythic, and mistweavers actually have very good single target output as far as i'm aware. Yes, for AoE healing they currently lack in that department, but as a tank healer, i see no reason why you shouldnt be taken. I know our raid team is keeping our Mistweaver, which we progressed 14/14 hc with

Quote Originally Posted by Moofarah View Post
    I think a lot of people above are just jumping on a bandwagon and judging mistweavers in their current state.
    The raiding scene will change in Mythic, and mistweavers actually have very good single target output as far as i'm aware. Yes, for AoE healing they currently lack in that department, but as a tank healer, i see no reason why you shouldnt be taken. I know our raid team is keeping our Mistweaver, which we progressed 14/14 hc with
    This and there are mistweaver changes that were promised and not delivered yet.

If you truly care about flavor of the month, don't roll mistweaver, but it is likely that they will see buffs eventually.