Poll: If you had a power to control a virtual universe would you use it for good or evil?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Darkmatter2525 pointed out recently in a video regarding theism (he's makes great videos pointing our religious contraction and hypocrisy) that power is the ROOT of all corruption. "In the beginning, power was wielded by the STRONG, and their reign was bloody. Later, power was claimed by the CLEVER, who created the notions of gods and religions. Eventually, their reign too, became bloody. Those with ambition seek power as both the means and the end and with greed in their heart will seek to attain more power and to keep it, at all costs. This is the corruption of power. But those upon whom power is BESTOWED, are possessed with a sense of responsibility, and while able to succumb to corruption, are likely to resist it initially and for a while." I'm paraphrasing his exact dialogue, but that's the gist. If you seek power, it will consume you. If power is granted to you, you will try to live up to the expectations of those who have trusted in you.
    I see that one is a contradictions. if you are granted power then who has the power in the first place? really the only way i see power being used responsibly is by the people who are in their own nature, Incorruptable.

Power corrupts the corrupt.

I think it corrupts people with weak minds/morals. A good example is if you look at celebrities like JB, he is a huge asshole and should never have become famous. However if you look at Hugh Jackman he is a really nice guy and has even done some voice acting in video games for free because he like his character so much.

It may also have to do with if the person had to work hard to get to their power or not, but then again there are powerful people who worked hard and are still corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Kill em, kill em ALL!

Unlimiiiited Pooooowaaaah!
    Itty bitty living space.

10+ Year Old Account
    use it to create a utopia by any means necessary.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Power corrupts, and corruption leads to crime, and crime doesn't pay, and knowledge is power... if I keep reading these books I'll end up in jail!
    Last edited by Kujako; 2014-08-29 at 09:36 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    I don't think I would be corruptible. If I had such power, I would be above personal harassment
    Hubris, a good first step towards falling to corruption.

..which is the only thing that would motivate me to abuse my power and remove the ones(s) getting on my nerves.
    And here you've already contradicted yourself and proven to be corrupt; getting rid of someone simply because they "get on your nerves" is very corrupt. They could be right, they might have a good idea, or great intentions, but because you personally find them annoying, you're going to have them removed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Good and bad are subjective terms a utopia for some is hell for others.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    terms a utopia for some is hell for others.
    Exactly - ever watch the movie Elysium

15+ Year Old Account
    Power does not corrupt, everyone is corrupted but yet does not have the availability to use it.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

As others have said before "corruption" is merely a person acting out their dream for self empowerment. Often times leading them to trample over others, and doing amoral acts to get ahead.

You get people like Hitler, Stalin, etc... in power, because they are willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill their dreams of ultimate self empowerment, and they have the physical and mental traits to make that viably possible.

Human history is driven by two things. The environment, which causes very slow (or occasionally very fast) changes in civilizations, and peak individuals who rise to the top and through the side effects of often massive violent actions, push humanity forwards in some way. Alexander didn't invade Persia to spread Hellenism, he did it because he was a tactically brilliant egotistical ass who believed he could conquer the world. Hellenism spreading was a side effect of the conquests, and something he could never have predicted. He was a far more able general than statesman.

Whatever system humanity is operating under, no matter how perfect, there will always be individuals who will fight to get to the top, and some of these individuals, one in 1,000,000,000+ are a perfect storm that can overcome anything. They believe so strongly in their self imagined destiny of greatness, they throw themselves at their opposition with reckless abandon, often with little regard for their own safety, as if (and some certainly have) they believe they are divinely protected, and somehow manage to come out on top.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowyFanatic View Post
    Darkmatter2525 pointed out recently in a video regarding theism (he's makes great videos pointing our religious contraction and hypocrisy) that power is the ROOT of all corruption. "In the beginning, power was wielded by the STRONG, and their reign was bloody. Later, power was claimed by the CLEVER, who created the notions of gods and religions. Eventually, their reign too, became bloody. Those with ambition seek power as both the means and the end and with greed in their heart will seek to attain more power and to keep it, at all costs. This is the corruption of power. But those upon whom power is BESTOWED, are possessed with a sense of responsibility, and while able to succumb to corruption, are likely to resist it initially and for a while." I'm paraphrasing his exact dialogue, but that's the gist. If you seek power, it will consume you. If power is granted to you, you will try to live up to the expectations of those who have trusted in you.
    I found that video to be incredibly simplistic and at times, very bullshit.

"Later, power was claimed by the CLEVER, who created the notions of gods and religions."

What the fuck is this shit? There have been signs of humans having religious faith going all the way back to the earliest traces of them. Hell, even neaderthal's, a genetic cousin that predated us by several hundred thousand years seemed to practice some sort of faith (they buried their dead with flowers, tools, clothes, and even food, implying some sort of afterlife belief).

If he is talking about medieval Europe, than that is still crap. The strong totally ruled Europe. Sure the pope had a ton of influence, but he wasn't anywhere close to unchallenged. Literally half a dozen Holy Roman Emperors fought with him in wars for crying out loud.

And this idea that the "strong" and "clever" are mutually exclusive is retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can,yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Notice - I did nothing within my power to touch industry - all I did was to individuals, so that in 50 years we have two generations of well educated, well fed and healthy people making decisions.

Tell me - if EVERYONE on the planet was well educated (science, reason, logic, compassion etc), well fed (housed, nutrition etc) and healthy (only sick of incurables) - then peace will come of its own accord.

Patience Luke
    Of course you are ignoring the prevalence of greed, certain societies/countries have a massively disproportionate consumption rate of resources. What do you suppose would happen if you allowed everyone on the planet to consume resources at the rate of your average American?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    If power actually did corrupt, this poll would be inaccurate as we without power voting in said poll have yet to feel its corruption.

Food for thought.

Deleted
    The only thing I know is that with great power comes great responsibility. It all comes down to whether you use or abuse the power. It's mostly abused because it's good for protection against others who want to abuse it, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it isn't the power that corrupts but the intention of the power to be used. If you have power, you'll be at the road of many choices. It is the intention and selection of those choices that corrupt you. My opinion of course, you can have a seat of power and hold it fine, or abuse it.

(Unless we talk all about demonic or such, you get the drift, bad stuff).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    If power actually did corrupt, this poll would be inaccurate as we without power voting in said poll have yet to feel its corruption.

Food for thought.
    Good point!
    Here let me give you some virtual power:
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...20/334/6d9.jpg
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I need far more than the average lifespan of a human if i was to undertake a project like this. I would like to make a peaceful post-scarcity utopia that thrives on art/knowledge(or something close to it), but studying a sufficient amount of sociology would already take a few decades and instilling the needed cultural values will take many generations. Im not sure if power would corrupt me, i somewhat doubt that since the only reason i would want power is for altruism and self-sufficiency.

a bunch of powerless people wondering if they had power how they would act. this is funny... much like how would you act when a gun is pointed at a loved ones head. trust me you really dont know till it happens. seen people shit on themselves having a gun pointed at them no lie. but go ahead have fun and make your best "guess" cause the reality is power corrupts. some are affected quicker and harder than others but humans are ingrained to always want more. its how we have came to where we are. if we did not have this drive we would be stuck in a cave or died out.

ps my english not the best.. always learning - should i use effected or affected??

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Notice - I did nothing within my power to touch industry - all I did was to individuals, so that in 50 years we have two generations of well educated, well fed and healthy people making decisions.

Tell me - if EVERYONE on the planet was well educated (science, reason, logic, compassion etc), well fed (housed, nutrition etc) and healthy (only sick of incurables) - then peace will come of its own accord.

Patience Luke
    Education only instills compassion in people if it is the correct type and the individual is shown by example of those they look up to and respect who show it also to others. Some of the most highly educated have been some of the most uncompassionate people in history. The serial killer Ted Bundy comes to mind, a graduate of Yale or Harvard I think. And being well fed or healthy is no guarantee of peace.
    You can have both of those and still be greedy and suffer from jealousness and covert what others have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Good point!
    Here let me give you some virtual power:
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...20/334/6d9.jpg
    I seriously love you right now. That was literally my 80th jpg/gif in my Vivian folder.

Shut up, Vivian folders are cool!