Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Crafting assistance: Best legendary for Mage?

So I've got 1600+ dust and I'm considering which Legendary to get. I prefer to play Mage, spell mage even, so I'm wondering what legendary card might work well with Mage as a class or Spell Mage as a deck?
    Ofcourse, I've considered Malygos, but I don't know if he's actually a solid choice, as playing him on a Mage would be to really show my intentions of what I'll do next. Antonidas seems circuimstantial.

So what legendary might be a good one for a Mage?

The strongest mage deck at the moment runs exactly one non-Naxx legendary - Sylvanas.

Malygos is almost never a good choice, while Antonidas is a perennial favorite. You just simply want to hold a bunch of 1 mana spells and the coin in your hand as long as possible so you can get 5 fireballs on turn 10 or something even if your guy is insta-killed (which it probably will be.)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of decks run Thalnos because he's cheap to play to boost your spell combos and cycles well.
    BAD WOLF

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    A couple of decks run Thalnos because he's cheap to play to boost your spell combos and cycles well.
    That may be good for some extra early damage, but he's quite easy to remove.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    He's not put on the board to last. He's used exactly as I stated. It's a cheap spell power buff to use on that turn for combos and cycles well (he draws you a card when he dies).

- - - Updated - - -

and you definitely shouldn't be using him early.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Which also gives you a card. Which also is a deathrattle, which also synergises quite well with the current Naxx cards.

Thalnos is one of the best legendaries to craft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HearthRhythm View Post
    Which also gives you a card. Which also is a deathrattle, which also synergises quite well with the current Naxx cards.

Yep. This too.
    BAD WOLF

Malygos doesn't seem that good to me unless you want to make a Malygod rogue deck. I'd say Thalnos is much better then, and its a really good card in other decks.

I may aswell ask a same question here since I also almost got 1600 dust and planning to craft a new legendary. I'm building up a warrior control deck and I still need Cairne, Ragnaros and Ysera. Which one is better to craft first? I already have some other legendaries like Grommash, Sylvanas and Alexstrazsa.

Cairne, then Rag, then Ysera in that order.

I'd actually put Baron Geddon higher than all three if you are specifically gunning for warrior control, but it's much harder to fit into other decks than Cairne and Rag.

So I've got 1600+ dust and I'm considering which Legendary to get. I prefer to play Mage, spell mage even, so I'm wondering what legendary card might work well with Mage as a class or Spell Mage as a deck?
    Ofcourse, I've considered Malygos, but I don't know if he's actually a solid choice, as playing him on a Mage would be to really show my intentions of what I'll do next. Antonidas seems circuimstantial.

So what legendary might be a good one for a Mage?
    I'd go Alex or Rag.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HearthRhythm View Post

But what Naxx cards would I want in a spell mage deck?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    Cairne, then Rag, then Ysera in that order.

I'd actually put Baron Geddon higher than all three if you are specifically gunning for warrior control, but it's much harder to fit into other decks than Cairne and Rag.
    Already got Ysera actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    I spent 1600 dust on thalnos, I use him in literally almost every deck I make. However I should have made sylvannas before him, as I just made sylvannas a legendary ago.

As a mage, I recall my legendary order was got alex out of a pack, made antonidas, made thalnos, made ragnaros, made sylvannas, got ysera out of a pack and made cairne. I will make the black knight next. Then leeroy and then focus on class specific cards until I have all of those.

Deleted
    But what Naxx cards would I want in a spell mage deck?

- - - Updated - - -

Already got Ysera actually.
    A spell mage deck will greatly benefit from Thalnos, simply because the cheap spell damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Malygos doesn't seem that good to me unless you want to make a Malygod rogue deck. I'd say Thalnos is much better then, and its a really good card in other decks.

I may aswell ask a same question here since I also almost got 1600 dust and planning to craft a new legendary. I'm building up a warrior control deck and I still need Cairne, Ragnaros and Ysera. Which one is better to craft first? I already have some other legendaries like Grommash, Sylvanas and Alexstrazsa.
    I've dropped Rag from my control warrior deck. Considering the deck usually involves some combo of Alex and Grom for most of it's damage against players it's only really purpose in the deck is to provide pressure or for some kind of Hail Mary play. Cairne remains a staple though, providing good mid game board control in most games. Rag's great played against an empty board, but there are more cards in the game now where he becomes a liability.
    But on topic, for suggested legendaries for a mage Thalnos would have to be number one for me. Antonidas is great if you managed to hold on to a couple of low cost spells, but Thalnos's versatility put him to shame. Theres not many classes who have decks which Thalnos benefits.
    Alex would be another card to consider for mage if you intend to play control mage, but she generally is seen only in control-type decks so has less versatility than Thalnos.
    Last edited by mmoc6765cb3ae1; 2014-08-26 at 12:02 AM.

He's a kobold with card draw, that alone makes him top tier. Just be sure to use the spell dmg.

TBH it comes down to what kind of mage you favour, if you prefer spell/control(freeze) -> Alex/Thalnos, if you have those, Antonidas. As stated previously, Antonidas will in most cases serve only as a an extra fireball + removal/trade bait.

There are mainly two kinds of minion heavy mage decks, the one that tries to establish board control early so you can finish of the opponent with spells, and the more control oriented. Thalnos is good in both, especially giving flamestrike the extra dmg needed for many of the popular 3/5 and 4/5's.

Clearly the best legendary for you is Millhouse Manastorm. When your opponent plays it, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralellex View Post
    Clearly the best legendary for you is Millhouse Manastorm. When your opponent plays it, at least.
    Indeed, I don't remember a situation where I actually lost because of an early Millhouse.
    Most recent example, topdecking a Mind Control and having Divine Spirit on starting hand and using it on Millhouse

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    He's not put on the board to last. He's used exactly as I stated. It's a cheap spell power buff to use on that turn for combos and cycles well (he draws you a card when he dies).

- - - Updated - - -

and you definitely shouldn't be using him early.
    i see a LOT of mages use him early.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i see a LOT of mages use him early.
    Then they're using him wrongly, unless it's for the extra dmg needed for removing something. Priest minions in particular in that stage of the game.