Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Peripheral Guide & Discussion

This will serve as a general buying guide for peripherals for our forum. I would appreciate it if people redirected lengthy discussions on peripherals to this thread as well, to both avoid derailing threads and keep this near the top to help others.

—Mice—
    I cannot recommend you a mouse that will fit you, but a number of reviews claim that specific mice are targeted toward grip types. While I don't necessarily subscribe to this (you'll use what you like regardless of what the mouse is targeted toward) it's important to remember that these recommendations rarely take ergonomics into account.
    Performance(1)
    These mice display exceptional sensor performance in every category. The "cream of the crop" of the mouse world.

A4-Tech X7
    The X7 provides unrivaled performance at an incredible price point.
    $20.--

Logitech G400s
    A popular mouse based on the MX518 platform by Logitech.
    $45.--

Zowie FK1
    The FK1 is one of the most solidly built, no-frills mice on the market.
    $60.--

Logitech G402
    The G402 is another mouse based on the MX518.
    $60.--

SteelSeries Kana V2
    A no-frills redux to SteelSeries' Kana mouse.
    $60.--

Logitech G502
    A mouse offering high customization and high sensor quality.
    $80.--

Mionix Naos 5000
    A unique laser mouse with a high level of performance.
    $80.--

Zowie AM Pro
    The AM Pro is one of Zowie's flagship models. Another no-frills offering.
    $80.--

Utility(2)
    While generally these are solid mice, some of them have popular issues. As a result, your focus should be on the "gimmick" the mouse ships with and not the performance of the mouse itself. MMO and other mice can be found here.

Razer Naga 2014
    The most popular MMO mouse.
    $60.--

Logitech G600
    Logitech's offering to the MMO market.
    $60.--

Corsair M95
    An MMO mouse with a unique thumb layout.
    $65.--

Mad Catz MMO7
    An MMO mouse based on the RAT series.
    $120.--

—Audio—
    Similarly to mice, I cannot recommend you a pair of headphones that are comfortable to you. However, I can provide you well benchmarked, reviewed, and accepted high end products at a variety of price levels. Audio varies greatly in it's nature, and as a result, these headphones will be targeted toward general performance in gaming and music.
    Over/On Ear Headphones(1)
    Circumaural headsets come in two varieites. Open ear serves a widened sound stage and excels in location reproduction. Closed ear isolates sound well and generally provides tangible, heavy bass.

Koss PRODJ 100
    Well balanced, mid focused closed ear headphones.
    $45.--

Superlux HD681 EVO
    High focused open ear headphones.
    $35.--

Creative Aurvana Live!
    Bass heavy but well balanced closed ear headphones.
    $75.--

Audio Technica AD700x
    A wildly popular mid focused open ear monitor set.
    $140.--

Audio Technica ATH M50
    A wildly popular bass-focused closed ear monitor set.
    $110.--

Sennheiser HD 558
    A warm-sounding pair of open ear monitors.
    $130.--

Beyerdynamic dt990
    A bass heavy open ear set of headphones.
    $180.--

Audio Technica AD900x
    An airy open ear headphone set.
    $180.--

AKG Q 701
    A clear, detailed open ear pair of headphones.
    $190.--

Sennheiser HD25-1 II
    A popular closed ear and well balanced monitor set.
    $240.--

In Ear Monitors(2)
    In ear headphones or "earbuds". High quality uIEM's are one of the most overlooked sound solutions. They provide exceptional bass, unrivaled sound isolation, and are the pinnacle of portable audio solutions. Some include inline microphones.

Brainwavz Delta
    Rugged, neutral, and inexpensive IEMs.
    $20.--

Vsonic VSD 3S
    Bass heavy and solidly built IEMs.
    $50.--

Shure SE215
    Popular, low range (bass) focused IEMs.
    $100.--

HiFiMan RE-400
    Dry bass, but popular and detailed IEMs.
    $100.--

Ortofon e-Q5
    Warm sounding headphones. Bit of a tight fit.
    $200.--

Shure SE425
    High end uIEMs with very detailed sound.
    $400.--

Inline Microphone Headsets(3)
    It's worth noting that these are almost always poor purchases. Bar convenience, you'll get better audio for your money from a seperate microphone and over/on ear pair of headphones.

Plantronics Gamecom 780
    A rugged closed ear with a decent microphone.
    $70.--

Sennheiser PC350
    A popular closed ear with high quality sound.
    $130.--

Sennheiser G4ME Zero
    Updated PC350 with closed ear design.
    $200.--

Sennheiser G4ME One
    Updated PC350 with open ear design.
    $200.--

Microphones(4)
    All of these microphones are stand alone, and all but the Samson Go and Zalman benefit from shock mounts/pop filters. They generally provide better microphone quality than headsets.

Zalman Clip On
    A cord-clip on microphone.
    $7.--

Samson Go Mic
    A durable portable high quality microphone.
    $35.--

Blue Snowball
    A popular cardoid microphone.
    $45.--

Antlion ModMic 4.0
    A microphone that clips on to headphones to replicate a headset.
    $45.--

Blue Yeti
    An entry level high end microphone.
    $100.--

Audio Technica AT2020
    An incredibly high performing microphone.
    $125.--
    Amplifiers(5)
    Unnecessary for most headsets, but a good purchase if you have some money for upgradibility. High quality amps last years and will serve you well regardless of your hardware.

Schiit Magni
    A popular entry level headphone amp.
    $100.--

Fiio E09K
    A good all around headphone amp.
    $110.--

JSD Objective 2
    An amp solution with a bit more front panel flexibility.
    $150.--

USB DAC(6)
    Converts and "cleans" digital audio signals into their analog counterparts. Basically an active USB to 3.5mm adapter. Some sound cards and motherboards have this functionality.

—Keyboards—
    And, also with keyboards, I cannot recommend you a keyboard that you will find comfortable. However, I can give you a rundown of exactly what you'll be receiving mechanically, and recommend you a reliable keyboard that will serve you functionally for years to come.
    Membrane(1)
    I rarely recommend membrane keyboards. If you can afford a mechanical, you should absolutely buy one. Membrane keyboards should be purchased due to price, availability, or features only.

Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    A rugged feature filled backlit keyboard.
    $60.--

Mechanical(2)
    All keyboards listed are available in most/all popular switch colors unless specified. Mechanical keyboards are significantly more durable than their membrane counterparts, and many will outlast your computer components. Some, like the Model M, are timeless.

Monoprice Mechanical
    A very cheap mechanical keyboard.
    $70.--

KBC Poker II
    A popular 60% mini-keyboard.
    $110.--

Noppoo Choc Mini
    A high end 75% keyboard.
    $100.--

Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid
    A durable tenkeyless keyboard.
    $90.--

Ducky Shine III
    An extremely popular full keyboard.
    $140.--

Have a suggestion? Want to contribute to the guide?
    I appreciate eagerness to contribute to the guide. Posts providing anecdotal evidence will not be taken as seriously as those who put in the work to explain exactly why the peripheral in question is a solid performer. Reviews in both video and written form from reputable and established sites will be read in full and suggestions will be taken into consideration. Thank you!
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2014-08-27 at 11:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    FAQ
    The guide looks bad, why is the layout broken?
    This is a work in progress. Sometimes I mess up and break the formatting. Additionally, the guide renders very differently between browers. I don't know why.

Why didn't you include "x"?
    Provide a compelling, fact based argument and I'll consider inclusion of your suggestion. I cannot stress enough how little anecdotal evidence supports your case. I appreciate willingness to contribute to the guide, but it's important that the standard of high quality be maintained.

Why aren't you recommending this $1000 product?
    If you're spending $1,000 on something, I don't want to be responsible for your purchase. (I wouldn't be anyway.) You shouldn't be browsing these forums if you're considering spending that much on a peripheral. There are better resources. I will point you in the right direction if you ask.

You included "x" but I think it's bad.
    Similar to recommendations, if you can provide a compelling and fact based argument on why something shouldn't be on the list, I will absolutely consider removing it.

Resources
    Mice
    Overclock.net Mouse Forums
    r/MouseReview

Keyboards
    r/MechanicalKeyboards
    Overclock.net Keyboard Forums

Audio
    Head-Fi
    Overclock.net Audio Forums
    HeadRoom
    r/Headphones

Footnotes
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2014-08-27 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    To Do List
    In relative order of importance...

Monitors
    DAC's
    Expand Keyboards
    Expand Headphones
    Add Manufacturer Websites
    Maybe Add Computer Speakers
    Add Special Input Devices (Tablets, etc.)
    Make Guide Pretty
    World Domination
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2014-08-30 at 03:28 AM.

I don't see what you refer to sorry. Only thing I can think of you referring to is the 10px wide "empty picture" that I put in a small column between each mouse, because you have no control over the margin between the cell's edge and the cell's content (this margin is practically 0, btw).

Glad you decided to adapt and switch it up, it looks much better! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result, great work so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I don't see what you refer to sorry. Only thing I can think of you referring to is the 10px wide "empty picture" that I put in a small column between each mouse, because you have no control over the margin between the cell's edge and the cell's content (this margin is practically 0, btw).
    The gap between picture 1 and 2 is a smidge larger than between 2 and 3. This is actually opposite to the previous edit, where there was a larger gap between 2 and 3, than between 1 and 2. http://i.imgur.com/hyMFqRH.jpg

Edit: It's Chrome. I just opened the page in chrome and the gap is much more prominent than in Firefox, http://i.imgur.com/FT14pgB.png Looks to me like it may just be the text? http://i.imgur.com/rUD09JS.png Try removing the descriptions and see if anything changes.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-08-25 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why we can't have nice things, Google.

Interesting choice by Google there. Well, I use Firefox, and yeah, if there is a noticeable difference here I'm simply not awake enough anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey I just realized, did you try setting the Table width to 470? Because it's 150px per column, +10 for each of the blank columns. (I presume you only used two.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting choice by Google there. Well, I use Firefox, and yeah, if there is a noticeable difference here I'm simply not awake enough anymore.
    Or you're drunken, >.>

Firefox and I don't see it like the linked ones long wall. Weird.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Hey I just realized, did you try setting the Table width to 470? Because it's 150px per column, +10 for each of the blank columns. (I presume you only used two.)
    I'm not awfully bothered by it. I intend to expand on this, and mathing out the table stuff is going to get annoying really fast. :<

First iteration of on ears is up.

Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    I'm not awfully bothered by it. I intend to expand on this, and mathing out the table stuff is going to get annoying really fast. :<

First iteration of on ears is up.
    For what it's worth, I don't see the spacing problem in that section, in Chrome or Firefox. It's actually thinner than both gaps in the mouse section as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't see the spacing problem in that section, in Chrome or Firefox. It's actually thinner than both gaps in the mouse section as well.
    I think I figured out what it is. I used too many big words in the A4Tech X7 description. It doesn't automatically line break words.

Edit: Nope. That wasn't it.

Looks alot better, well done

One thing I would suggest is that it might be worth it to include a section for Speakers in the Audio area, one for Monitors and maybe another section for Misc items like mousepads, monitor mounts, etc.

And perhaps someone who is decent with photoshop or the likes can provide you with some nice banners for the categories as well
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more curious if the character limit will be hit if you're doing all those sections.
    I'd make a monitor list if I wasn't lazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Looks alot better, well done

One thing I would suggest is that it might be worth it to include a section for Speakers in the Audio area, one for Monitors and maybe another section for Misc items like mousepads, monitor mounts, etc.

And perhaps someone who is decent with photoshop or the likes can provide you with some nice banners for the categories as well
    I'm a graphic designer, just a lazy one. I'll take banner stuff if people are feeling up to it, but I'll get to it eventually.

I don't know as much about speaker sets as I'd like to. I'm going to reach out to some people to see if they have any recommendations, though.

I totally forgot about mousepads and such! Thanks for the suggestion!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I'm more curious if the character limit will be hit if you're doing all those sections.
    I'd make a monitor list if I wasn't lazy.
    I have a back up plan. I shouldn't hit the character limit though.

- - - Updated - - -

Mechs are up. Guide is now functional. I need to go make some food, then I'll get back at it. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't need to make a graphic for every recommendation. But aesthetics. \o/

Did we really need another one of these threads? You haven't listed a Naga style mouse of any kind and we're on an MMO dedicated website, you'd think that the most popular style of mouse for the genre would be listed in an advice/guide thread?

And also I have to say the description about the Audia Technica AT2020 is laughable, it's far from an "Incredibly high performing" mic. It's an entry level condensor that sounds harsh and toppy, it's really one of the worst mics I've owned. It will do the job fine for your average gamer but I'd definitely not recommend it. It's a condensor, it will pick up every tiny little noise and if you have a computer nearby you're definitely going to hear that through the microphone. Now the AT4040 is actually a very very nice mic, and doesn't sound so harsh/tinny as the AT2020, it's more expensive but performs well above its price range.. Even so, it's still not a mic I'd personally recommend for gaming, it will pick up every small noise as it is designed to do just like the AT2020.

If I was going to recommend a mic to anyone then I'd probably go down the route of the Shure SM7B, originally intended for broadcasting/radio speaking but very popular for live acoustic sessions, for recording high output singers and instruments. I guess they are a little pricey but much more suited to the job, low output and more directional so it won't pick up every minute sound like a condensor such as the AT2020.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Did we really need another one of these threads? You haven't listed a Naga style mouse of any kind and we're on an MMO dedicated website, you'd think that the most popular style of mouse for the genre would be listed?

And also I have to say the description about the Audia Technica AT2020 is laughable, it's far from an "Incredibly high performing" mic. It's an entry level condensor that sounds harsh and toppy, it's really one of the worst mics I've owned. It will do the job fine for your average gamer but I'd definitely not recommend it. It's a condensor, it will pick up every tiny little noise and if you have a computer nearby you're definitely going to hear that through the microphone. Now the AT4040 is actually a very very nice mic, and doesn't sound so harsh/tinny as the AT2020, it's more expensive but performs well above its price range.. Even so, it's not a mic I'd personally recommend for gaming, it will pick up every small noise as it is designed to do.

If I was going to recommend a mic to anyone then I'd probably go down the route of the Shure SM7B, originally intended for broadcasting/radio speaking but very popular for live acoustic sessions, for recording high output singers and instruments. I guess they are a little pricey but much more suited to the job, low output and more directional so it won't pick up every minute sound like a condensor such as the AT2020.
    No offense, but railing on me for recommending up to the AT2020 and calling it "the worst microphone you owned" then recommending two $300+ microphones makes no sense when you're also critiquing me on not targeting my mouse recommendations to the audience. The average person isn't going to drop $300+ on a microphone. For VOIP, recording, and even basic podcasting, the AT2020 is sufficient. Really, so is the Yeti.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not going to list every microphone from $1 to $5,000.

In regards to the Naga, most people are aware of it's existence and the alternatives. Like I've stated previously, more people DON'T use a Razer Naga/12 button mouse in WoW than do. This isn't exactly a perfect reason to not recommend it, but I cannot with confidence, as I've said before, recommend any of the multi button mice from a mechanical perspective. Perhaps, like Drunken said in his example, I'll list all of the MMO mice with a disclaimer.

Quote Originally Posted by M0cha View Post
    No offense, but railing on me for recommending up to the AT2020 and calling it "the worst microphone you owned" then recommending two $300+ microphones makes no sense when you're also critiquing me on not targeting my mouse recommendations to the audience. The average person isn't going to drop $300+ on a microphone. For VOIP, recording, and even basic podcasting, the AT2020 is sufficient. Really, so is the Yeti.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm not going to list every microphone from $1 to $5,000.
    Honestly I don't think the AT2020 is even a good mic in the price range, I paid £80 for mine last year and thought it was worse than a Behringer C1 (super budget shit) and definitely worse than the similarly priced Rode NT1 (which I also don't like). But really these mics are such high sensitivity, you will hear the sound of your balls moving in your pants, if you have your computer nearby you will hear the fans.. They aren't really well suited to the job.

What a gamer wants is something more directional, to avoid having to have mini booths surrounding their mic's to block out background noise. By all means buy a quality mic, but not such a high sensitivity multidirectional microphone like an AT2020.. I'd not recommend such mics to this audience, they aren't well suited to the job.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Honestly I don't think the AT2020 is even a good mic in the price range, I paid £80 for mine last year and thought it was worse than a Behringer C1 (super budget shit) and definitely worse than the similarly priced Rode NT1 (which I also don't like). But really these mics are such high sensitivity, you will hear the sound of your balls moving in your pants, if you have your computer nearby you will hear the fans.. They aren't really well suited to the job.

What a gamer wants is something more directional, to avoid having to have mini booths surrounding their mic's to block out background noise. By all means by a quality mic, but not such a high sensitivity multidirectional microphone like an AT2020.
    Could you provide a recommendation for something in it's price point then?

Nice list it's looking good, I'd add Takstar HiFi 2050's there $57 and I personally enjoy the sound quality, they work well with gaming/movie audio and for music I've found no issues but I'd get a sound card/amp with them. I'll also add this review, he sums it up pretty nicely.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2014-08-25 at 11:06 PM.