Upgrading current PC?

Hi,
    I'm looking for upgrades or bigger replacement of some parts to get my PC better for playing WoW (ultra settings) and streaming in 25man environment as current is lagging and chocking.

Current build (which is around 2009):
    CPU - Intel Core i7-920 D0 Stepping CPU
    MB - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard
    RAM - 6GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz DDR3 Triple Channel Memory Kit
    CASE - Coolermaster Storm Sniper Gaming Case
    PSU - 750W Be Quiet! Dark Power PRO Modular Power Supply
    GPU - Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB Graphics Card
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB Hard Drive (7200rpm) SATA 64MB (Internal)

Budget: 500 pounds (can go little more)
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired: WoW, ultra + streaming in background
    Parts that can be reused: Anything you think its good enough
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

Anything you can think of that will improve quality of gaming and streaming a lot would be nice. At start was just thinking of changing CPU/Mboard/Ram for better ones, but I will leave it for more expert people.

D0 stepping, good times Have you overclocked it at all? You could cram some free performance in if you are just looking to spend as little as possible.
    Otherwise.
    Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    CPU cooler

Or just this bundle

Deleted
    To go for a new i5k/i7k you need a Z97 board as well. You are looking at 350/400 including a cpu cooler for that alone.
    You will probably need new ram too. Are those 3 sticks of 2gb each? If thats the case you need new ones. Your gpu could use an upgrade. I'd say a R9 270X minimum which is around 120-150 pounds. Then you could get an ssd.

Lets see, this should cover it (an i7 would go 100quid more):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.34 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£61.28 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£72.00 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card (£120.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £542.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-26 12:29 BST+0100

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    D0 stepping, good times Have you overclocked it at all? You could cram some free performance in if you are just looking to spend as little as possible.
    Otherwise.
    Motherboard
    CPU
    RAM
    CPU cooler

Or just this bundle
    Aye.. CPU ain't that new any more and also I'm not that great with overclocking (plus would mean a new cooler prolly as this one is already quite 'used'). Will look bit more into that bundle and maybe update it with below.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    To go for a new i5k/i7k you need a Z97 board as well. You are looking at 350/400 including a cpu cooler for that alone.
    You will probably need new ram too. Are those 3 sticks of 2gb each? If thats the case you need new ones. Your gpu could use an upgrade. I'd say a R9 270X minimum which is around 120-150 pounds. Then you could get an ssd.

Lets see, this should cover it (an i7 would go 100quid more):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£164.34 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 113.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£61.28 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£72.00 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card (£120.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £542.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-26 12:29 BST+0100
    Nice setup to be fair. What if I dump that SSD drive and put that into CPU to get i7? Will that be similar performance rise or SSD still overcome i5->i7 jump?

Deleted
    I mentioned the i7 cause thats what you had before so assumed you need it, although its not for gaming. The i7 is mostly suited for video/photo editing/rendering. Also if you don't want or don't have the time to get into overclocking and can afford it, the new i7 is a choice for gaming too since its turbo is at 4.4GHz at all cores where the i5 has turbo at 3.9 1st core, 3.8 at 2nd etc (again provided you can pay for it).

Its a tough choice mostly as i said if you don't want to get into overclocking, i5k+ssd or i7. Besides there isn't much reason to get an i5k/Z97 if you are not going to. The ssd will give you more response from your rig, will load everything faster etc. Bottom line is you are the one that you have to decide. To help you decide i will say it like this. If you buy the i7 now and you think that in a few months you will be able to get the ssd then go for it. But if you are looking for like 5-6months or more before you can do that i would personally get the ssd.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-08-26 at 09:09 PM.

The i7 over the i5 provides no tangible improvement whatsoever from a pure gaming perspective.
    I am thinking that upgrading the GTX 560 Ti will not improve gameplay in 25mans whatsoever, but, newer GeForce cards offer streaming via the Shadowplay tech.
    So I would upgrade for that specific purpose (but to be honest, I'm not confident in saying that Shadowplay is mature enough just yet). In raids, it would be sitting mostly on CPU and CPU alone.

Shadowplay is in theory the best streaming technology, since it doesn't affect performance at all. In practice, I think (and note that what I am saying might have changed from when I last read up about it, in May/June) that it is still new software that still hasn't been worked out and have a few issues demanding fullscreen non-windowed and acting funky when alt-tabbing.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2014-08-26 at 10:08 PM.

if u want to play only wow and dont have oc in mind a i5 4690 without K with a h97 mobo is your better option (buying a k without oc in mind is a waste of money better used elsewhere), on the other hand if u play other games and want a plattform to sit in for a few years u better go for a i7 (everygame on development now is designed for a better use of more cores/hypertreading).

if u want to stream forget amd cards. go for nvidia, shadowplay is really good and have no performance impact(the best card on price/quality right now is 760gtx but if u can go for a 770 at least, being gigabyte the best brand for your needs)

ssd dont give any real performance increase they dont give more fps they only speed up your boot up and load times, also they normally offer a poor $/gb and everytime u write on them you are literally killing it, so better save the money for more critical parts like better cpu,gpu,psu,a better mobo or even more ram for the future(if i have learned something from those years is to better buy the ram u are going to need in the future now, cause if ur pc have some years and the ram tecnology had changed u may be on a hell of a problem finding some extra sticks fully compatible with ur actual ram and for reasonably price when 8gb of ram get short, and trust me it will end happening eventually).

pd: if u are not going to oc and u dont live on a hot zone u better stick to a default cooler, u dont need extra cooling without oc/hot temperatures.
    pd2: or pick a cheap but reliable cooler like cm evo 212 is cheap and good for your needs.
    Last edited by azkhane; 2014-08-27 at 05:47 AM.