Thread: IPS Monitor

Deleted

IPS Monitor

Hello

I'm looking to buy another monitor to sit alongside my main 24", and I've been looking a little into IPS monitors but I'm not really sure what benefits it will give me whilst I'm gaming. Is it a good buy if you're willing to spend the few extra pounds (or dollars)? I've seen some regular 24" LED monitors with a 1 or 2ms response time and 100M:1 contrast ratio for as cheap as £130, but would it be of benefit to go up to say £170 or £200 for an IPS monitor with the same specs?

If the other specs are the same then basically it comes down to viewing angle and the colour, both of which IPS does a lot better.

Deleted
    Dell UltraSharp U2414H 24" or Dell UltraSharp P2414H 24" depending on the ports needed. Low lag, nice colors and angles. Don't get confused of response time, this isn't the total display delay.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you just want a 23-24" 1080p IPS monitor, the ASUS MX239H, which is the one I have, has exceptional color reproduction! I recently set it to "Splendid" and holy WOW are the colors more vibrant than I've EVER seen!

Also, this monitor is doing exceptionally well for other folks on the internet it seems too!

Personally, I've seen A LOT of different Dell IPS monitors in person thanks to local Tiger Direct and Micro Center stores... and I hate the look they have. I think a lot of it comes from the anti-glare sort of cover on the screen, but I think it looks washed out. The MX239H is not only cheaper than most of Dell's offerings, but imo, a better buy for the more important reasons of what it actually does.

Also, it's an AH-IPS panel.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Dell UltraSharp U2414H 24" or Dell UltraSharp P2414H 24" depending on the ports needed. Low lag, nice colors and angles. Don't get confused of response time, this isn't the total display delay.
    I'll second this, I got my U2414H this week, even though I had some issues setting up, it's awesome monitor, but I dabble in drawing so I have bigger demands for monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If you just want a 23-24" 1080p IPS monitor, the ASUS MX239H, which is the one I have, has exceptional color reproduction! I recently set it to "Splendid" and holy WOW are the colors more vibrant than I've EVER seen!

Also, this monitor is doing exceptionally well for other folks on the internet it seems too!

Personally, I've seen A LOT of different Dell IPS monitors in person thanks to local Tiger Direct and Micro Center stores... and I hate the look they have. I think a lot of it comes from the anti-glare sort of cover on the screen, but I think it looks washed out. The MX239H is not only cheaper than most of Dell's offerings, but imo, a better buy for the more important reasons of what it actually does.

Not sure what you mean, but a lot of monitors need adjustments straight out-of-box, my U2414H I couldn't stand out of the box, had to fiddle with settings to make it exceptionally acceptable.
    PM me weird stuff :3

But it does not bake me cookies
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruge View Post
    Hello

I'm looking to buy another monitor to sit alongside my main 24", and I've been looking a little into IPS monitors but I'm not really sure what benefits it will give me whilst I'm gaming. Is it a good buy if you're willing to spend the few extra pounds (or dollars)? I've seen some regular 24" LED monitors with a 1 or 2ms response time and 100M:1 contrast ratio for as cheap as £130, but would it be of benefit to go up to say £170 or £200 for an IPS monitor with the same specs?
    I'd recommend going to a store & actually seeing some monitors in action. I got an ASUS monitor some time back (can't recall model, but good recommendations)...hated it! Didn't like the settings, couldn't get it comfortable & was giving me headaches. Returned it & got one that looked good to my eye & no headaches since!
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

Deleted
    i got this screen for a good year now : http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29EA93
    And let me tell you going to a smaller screen or non ips screen makes everything look ugly
    Its a bit pricy , but damn this screen is worth the money !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Not sure what you mean, but a lot of monitors need adjustments straight out-of-box, my U2414H I couldn't stand out of the box, had to fiddle with settings to make it exceptionally acceptable.
    Yes, I get that. My issue was based in more the coating Dell puts on that you can't take off. =/
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruge View Post
    Hello

Look for a monitor with 120hz first, IPS isn't really all that its made out to be. For photoshop and imaging, IPS is fantastic.
    If you're going to game on it, just get 120hz. Its a world of difference.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

Deleted
    Yeah but you need the hardware to be able to play above 60 otherwise is a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Yeah but you need the hardware to be able to play above 60 otherwise is a waste of money.
    because that amount of hardware is hard to get, a 660 can easily display 120fps without any trouble.
    You don't need that amount of hardware to fully use it either. Having just double the refresh is an incredible difference.
    i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz \ EVGA GTX 1080 FTW \ MSI z170a Carbon \ corsair hx 850 mod \ 16gb savage 2666 \ 4tb raid 1 wd black \ 256gb 600p m.2pcie
    HakudoshiFarsaj

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would stick with IPS. There is no real reason to go 120hz, as said above the hardware required to always run at 120 fps is quite high, unless you are running on all low settings (which, why would someone want to do that?)

Anyway, I am a +1 for the U24 from Dell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to be mean and note for a sec that AH-IPS doesn't really mean much anymore. The time it does is when it's back lit GB-r LED (or just GB LED).
    Nowadays it's just looking at the 'competition' which is aside from LG's IPS. AUO's AHVA, Samsung's PLS and Sharp's IGZO panel.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I understood it, AH-IPS was a generally newer and fantastic IPS technology, no?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not necessarily 'new'. AH-IPS essentially had some minor improvements. It's nothing drastic except for the high end panels. It was used with GB-LEDs which allowed for wide gamut for professional work. You take something like EIZO's Color Edge or NEC's Professional Art monitors, then you compare to U2414H or MX239, there is a huge difference, well for professionals that actually care. They're both AH-IPS but they're different.
    You could always go for RGB LED monitors, they're somewhat the same as a Plasma and OLED's color gamut and accuracy. They're also rare and expensive as hell.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2014-08-28 at 05:47 PM.