Thread: The 2014 Emmy's

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The 2014 Emmy's

So the winners of the 2014 Emmys have finally been reveleaed. I usually don't really care much for stuff like this, but this year, with both True detective and Breaking Bad making a run for it I was kind of curious.

If you haven't seen all the nominees/winners: http://time.com/3177394/emmys-2014-winners-list/

I expected BB to win over TD in Best drama series but not that Cranston would win over McConaughey. While both performances were incredible I thought Matthews performance was slightly better. The other nominees weren't even close imo, I mean they're far from bad actors, It's just that Cranston and MM were miles ahead of them.

So what did y'all think of the results?
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

10+ Year Old Account
    Having gone through the link you posted, I'm really glad and was actually unaware of the success Sherlock had at the Emmy's. Such a great series, perfect casting/directing.

Breaking bad aswell, Bryan and Aaron getting awards, not really sure why big bang theory is still up there. Maybe it's just me but I stopped watching that a while ago, just wasn't that good in my opinion.

I thought Orange is the new black would of had a few more nominations/wins.

All in all, really glad Sherlock and Breaking Bad won big.
    Last edited by JP1o; 2014-08-26 at 01:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought McConaughey would win too but I'm glad that Breaking Bad cleaned house. It deserved it. Amazing show. Sad it's over.

For the other winners...happy for Sherlock and Fargo. Fargo was a surprise treat. I liked the film but wasn't sure how a series would do. Happy that Julianna Marguiles won. It's a tossup between her and Claire Danes for me. Both great. Love both Homeland and The Good Wife.

Oh and Jessica Lange. Happy for her win. AHS: Coven was a hot mess but Jessica Lange was fierce, homicidal, drunk, hopped up on pills, and all kinds of fabulous. Love her.

The only travesty is that Hannibal isn't getting any awards recognition. It's such an amazing show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very happy for Sherlock. Pretty bummed that Peter Dinklage didn't win. His performance in this season of GoT was amazing. Haven't seen such a good performance in years regardless of Movies or Television. I never watched Breaking Bad (the premise just doesn't seem interesting to me) so I can't say if Aaron Paul deserved it more.

Also: How is The Big Bang Theory still relevant?

Deleted
    Nothing shocking really. Modern Family and Big Bang Theory still harvesting awards. Wich is pretty sad, BBT was fun the first 2-3 seasons and I have never liked Modern Family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really any contest for BB and Bryan Cranston, both are miles above anything else. I didn't watch them but hearing that Aaron Paul beat Peter Dinklage is a shock, I mean AP was outstanding in BB, but Dinklage wasn't far off Cranston in terms of acting which is probably the biggest compliment you can get. Opinions are opinions I guess.

Deleted
    Breaking Terrible rocking the house again.

How is Jim Parsons still getting best actor Emmys? He does the same thing every year, and the show itself is formulaic to absurdity.

Deleted
    I was hoping to Matthew McConaughey to win.. I think Bryan won only because it was the last season of breaking bad. He didn't really do anything different than in other seasons so yeah.

Poor poor Ricky Gervais.

Quote Originally Posted by Evix View Post
    I was hoping to Matthew McConaughey to win.. I think Bryan won only because it was the last season of breaking bad. He didn't really do anything different than in other seasons so yeah.
    My thoughts as well, not to take anything away from Cranston, but I found MM to be on a whole new level of acting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking Bad getting showered with awards.. Who would have thought...
    The show is over. If they don't get an award this year, there won't be anymore there after. That's the sole reason, imho..
    I predict, next year Letterman winning an award, for the very same reason... He's gonna call it quits next year, and will likely take an award as a farewell gesture.
    All in all, I don't take the Emmy's that serious, since it's all but a "you scratch my balls, I scratch yours" event.
    The fact that Dinklage did not win makes that rather obvious... He is the only character actor in his category and outperformed every single one of the other nominee's
    Doesn't matter though. The mechanisms in the background trumping the performance skills, and always have. Same can be said about the Oscars.

On a little disgusting note....
    I found it awesome how they've done a little extra mentioning for Robin Williams, even though I was a bit confused how they've kinda baked Laureen Bacall into the memorandum. She too deserved special credits. Anyhow, the disgusting part happened on the networks end. If you do such thing, and dedicate a minute of silence in the end, at least show the fucking decency and let that minute pass.. Instead they cut over to commercials after some 10 - 15 seconds. That's disgusting.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Breaking Bad deserved all the wins it got.

Modern Family did NOT deserve best comedy. Seriously?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFuse View Post
    The only travesty is that Hannibal isn't getting any awards recognition. It's such an amazing show.
    This is pretty much why I didn't bother watching. No nominations... not even for cinematography?
    I actually set my alarm clock to watch the nominations go out- so disappointed.

Oh, that and no nomination for Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany.

BOOOO Emmys.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really surprised that Orange Is The New Black falls under comedy. The show has its funny moments but I've always felt it was more of a drama.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Breaking Bad getting showered with awards.. Who would have thought...
    The show is over. If they don't get an award this year, there won't be anymore there after. That's the sole reason, imho..
    Sole reason rofl, yeah right. The reason is it was the best thing on tv by miles and deserved everything it got. Yeah, there are loads of things that win that don't deserve to (sup Modern Family) but Breaking Bad deserved everything it got as it was just that damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Sole reason rofl, yeah right. The reason is it was the best thing on tv by miles and deserved everything it got. Yeah, there are loads of things that win that don't deserve to (sup Modern Family) but Breaking Bad deserved everything it got as it was just that damn good.
    Only thing you can argue about is best actor, if you've seen True Detective you'll know why. I do agree it was the better show though.

I kind of agree that Matt McConnaughey picked a bad year to give the Emmy performance of a lifetime. Especially since the plan for True Detective seems to be celebrity one-off seasons, and he's not supposed to be back next season, right?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I kind of agree that Matt McConnaughey picked a bad year to give the Emmy performance of a lifetime. Especially since the plan for True Detective seems to be celebrity one-off seasons, and he's not supposed to be back next season, right?

Thanks for that spoiler.
    You cared enough to post.

It's not a spoiler, it's the format for the show?