Thread: Never done a CM

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Never done a CM

Hey all, I have not stepped foot into any CMs. I would like to get some done but all the grps I see only want people with 9/9 xp. I am pretty sure I can keep up as dps, any tips for getting in a grp having no xp?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I am pretty sure I can keep up as dps, any tips for getting in a grp having no xp?
    You better watch some runs in YT because dps isnt a cakewalk as you may think it is, more if you are melee.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Learn all the tactics, and make your own group, either on OpenRaid, with some friends or find people in /2

Start a group, or look for a silver/bronze groups. That way you can get the experience you need. It's not just about pulling DPS, but executing the instance almost flawlessly.

Watch videos and bring a lot of extra invisibility potions. Come prepared. Know when to use your invis potion. Know when to drop a stun etc etc.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Thanks for responses.

10+ Year Old Account
    I, too,had this problem. People hide behind a wall of achievements, and not even "the Proven Assailant" was enough for SILVER.
    Here's what I did:

-Bought 20 Invisibility Potion
    -Farmed 75k gold
    -Bought a full 9/9 gold run

And that's it. Wowarmory says that the timer I got is the 100th in my server's ladder, and my server is pretty huge. I was doing more dps than the boosters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll help you out if you cant find people. I absolutely LOVE doing cms, especially as tank.
    Add me Metrolol#1195 and let me know its you.
    I'll fill whatever role you need and can teach you all the strats.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

10+ Year Old Account
    Try openraid, their staff hosts ''learning runs" for people with zero experience. You might not get gold in those but you will surely get experience.

At least on EU. You should also indicate if you are US or EU in your original post so that people who want to help you could poke you.

EU Alliance -> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...3236289?page=1

Fuzzy been guiding (not boosting) people for months now. He picks 3 dpses, 1 healer from the forum posts and guides them all through the instance.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

I haven't set foot in one either. Seems like something to work towards

Definitely watch some videos, grab a stack or two of invisible pots also and have some patience, it's not all about DPS in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    more if you are melee.
    If you're not buying a carry or if you are getting carried by a mediocre group who needs the help...yeah, wouldn't recommend doing it as melee. "But, oh, how much worse could it really be?" Oh, it's worse. You might think it's not that bad, like I didn't before trying to do it as ret. I eventually just switched to holy for my group so I could feel useful. You'll get fucked over a lot by puddles and other mechanics that a ranged dps doesn't even need to fool with. They'll be wrecking meters. Meanwhile, your schedule in some areas will pretty much consist of "oh shit, can't stand in that" and "oops, can't stand in that either" and "oh my god i wish i was ranged" and then finally "yes thank God i can dps now".
    Look! Words!

Here's what I did:
    -Watch videos and take note of where to use invis pots (turns out you only use them in like half of the dungeons, maybe less)
    -Start a "noobs only" CM run on oqueue
    -Wipe a bunch of times
    -Eventually get one or two bronzes
    -Call it a night

At that point consider yourself experienced enough to just join other people's more experienced groups. Finished 9/9 gold in a week.

Easy did mine with my buddy in a matter of two weeks. Make you're own group or use OQueue and you win

Quote Originally Posted by Snaige View Post
    Try openraid, their staff hosts ''learning runs" for people with zero experience. You might not get gold in those but you will surely get experience.

At least on EU. You should also indicate if you are US or EU in your original post so that people who want to help you could poke you.
    Yeah, there's a couple of learning runs up for this weekend hosted by Trusmoov and Sneezer(who've been on a CM spree lately, they've done all of them on like 5 characters in the last few months), and just in general OpenRaid is good for finding groups.

And OP, trust me, DPSing them isn't as easy as you may think. Especially as melee some of them are a nightmare(just about everything either cleaves, drops shit on the floor or explodes).

Before you try finding a group, you should start looking at videos/guides for the different CMs, as there's some very specific tactics used in CMs that you don't need in heroic dungeons. And most importantly: be prepared to have to spend a long time getting the hang of them if you're completely new to CMs.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

They aren't bad as dps and they have turned out to be something I really enjoyed and I wish I had attempted them much much earlier in the expansion. As DPS make sure you do a little cheese for yourself and grab the extra gem slot gears, invis pots and spec into as many stuns as you can muster for your class/spec. Watch videos. Learn that trash pulls are harder and more important than most boss pulls. Invis pots and dps pots share a timer, remember this so that you aren't the guy who can't invis passed something. Use dps CDs pretty much on CD especially for large trash pulls and coordinate stuns so that someone with a 6sec stun is getting theirs off instead of someones 3 second stun etc. Tank and heals really dictate if you get Gold, Silver, or Bronze.

To find a group try starting on your servers forums that is a good jump off point. Then I'd try open raid and starting with a silver group. Then go from there.

Thanks for all your responses. Going to read up(watch vids) and dive in.

For the record, Im not melee dps. Demon Lock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Hey all, I have not stepped foot into any CMs. I would like to get some done but all the grps I see only want people with 9/9 xp. I am pretty sure I can keep up as dps, any tips for getting in a grp having no xp?
    Again with the "All these guys want 590 ilvl and 9/9 Gold on every toon".

Challenge modes are about skill. Not gear. That means anyone can do them. So read the strats, get a group together. And do them. Nothing happens if you fail. You just get closer to succeeding. And if you don't want to do that, look what I found on open raid

https://openraid.us/events/view/229754
    https://openraid.us/events/view/229429
    https://openraid.us/events/view/229732
    https://openraid.us/events/view/229159
    https://openraid.us/events/view/228912

And so on and so on. And lost of "Beginner Challenge Modes" being advertised. Stop always assuming the man is trying to keep you down. And you have to have patience. Because they are frustrating. Some more than others. So you may spend several hours on a single gold. Maybe even more. Don't expect to get 9/9 gold the first day, or even the first week if you're with a group that hasn't run them before. Just learn the strats, get tips, watch vids, and have at it.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2014-08-26 at 10:40 PM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Until recently I'd tried to do CMs exactly twice. Both times it seemed like people didn't understand what they were - oh we wiped once? I better leave the group instead of trying again, nothing but cakewalks for me!

Then just the other day I got invited into a group with a guildie and some of his off-server friends. The guy tanking was incredible, apparently holds time records on his server for some of the runs, etc. We knocked out two CMs on gold and one on silver before he had to go. It wasn't that bad. Hell if it wasn't timed it'd have been fun.

I'd love to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I, too,had this problem. People hide behind a wall of achievements, and not even "the Proven Assailant" was enough for SILVER.
    Here's what I did:

-Bought 20 Invisibility Potion
    -Farmed 75k gold
    -Bought a full 9/9 gold run

And that's it. Wowarmory says that the timer I got is the 100th in my server's ladder, and my server is pretty huge. I was doing more dps than the boosters.
    Of course you were!

I hold the top WoL rankings for all fights in all classes but I keep them private so people don't feel bad...